• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

Can we please dump RapidGator?

wileecoyote1969

Reaction score
Rapidgator is outright dishonest and corrupt and trying to install crap on your computer

Here is the thread this link came from
http://www.nudecelebforum.com/showpost.php?p=659264&postcount=30

Everything is normal - it even asks me if I want to download CD_-_BT.rar, which is the file name. But when my download manager pops up, and thanks to my settings and certain software I use - the REAL name of the file being downloaded is revealed... CD_-_BT.rar.exe
I am not a noob at this. I know how to avoid "fake" download buttons. This was not an accident. This was an intentional file spoof on the part of rapidgator/ilivid.

In my opinion they have more than done their share to earn a spot on the unapproved host list.

LarryO

somewhat respected
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

icarus2

Reaction score
there was some interesting spam other night (movie downloads) that featured the ever so growing UN-popular rapidgator, but on my investigation it was only available to PREMIUM users.
is the whole site a con or what, are the site owners spamming links with rapidgator to force us to pay for stuff that aint even legal lol

EDIT:--------------------------------------------------------
im gonna test this out myself for my own mind on it, see what happens.

Also, i do agree that most downloading sites like Cnet (very popular trustworthy site) now force you to use their 'download managers', they are indeed adware which is usually toolbars and shit. sometimes and i mean sometimes if you look carefully theres options on them which are by default 'checked' with tick....untick them, thats all i do then when you got the file you want run a good AV on your system just to be sure.
usually if i see anything too dubious i wont touch it with a 13,000 mile barge pole.

Last edited:

icarus2

Reaction score
Exactly. It's becoming standard practice with many DL hosts. Just uncheck the box next to "Download with ______manager" and the file will save as normal.

Simple fix.

thats it exactly, i just tried it (took me about 45mins to download :rolleyes:) by unchecking the box and played the file fine.
however there is sites out there like i stated in my other post, that force you to download the 'installer' or 'download manager' before you can download the main file at all.
as said here by ebbie and by me in other post, always look carefully on the page or installer for these checkboxes always checked with tick by default as is adobe and flipping mcaffe AV crap, if see them check them off then you should be fine

wileecoyote1969

Reaction score
Yeah....

checkmark, no checkmark.....

this does not change the fact that they renamed their installer the EXACT same name as the file being downloaded. This was obviously done to confuse the person downloading

This is called file spoofing, and it should NEVER be tolerated.

EDITED for the geek-nazis:
this is a spin on file spoofing whereas here they are renaming the the actual download itself instead of just covertly re-directing the link.

Exactly. It's becoming standard practice with many DL hosts
I have yet to see another download host rename their installer the same name as the requested file

wileecoyote1969

Reaction score
I have come up against download manager apps by Rapidgator, ** DEAD LINK REMOVED ** and Bitshare. I have never seen them renamed. Not saying it didn't happen, just suggesting it is far more likely to have been a glitch or an accidental copy/paste of the name than an intentional spoof.

They are a professional company used by businesses etc too, not a fly by night who only services bulletin boards and forums.

Sounds like a little perspective is needed here.
Yes I know I would run into this, hence the screenshot. It is not consistent. Not all downloads have it - which is probably intentional. Users get used to just clicking the link without have to look for a checkbox at the bottom. This way they can catch even careful users off-guard. If your download manager is set to automatically open the download, you are fucked.
This is the third time I have run into this problem with Rapidgator within the last 2 months. I blew the first 2 other times off, but three? that's showing a pattern. And I gathered evidence of it. It's really hard to dispute. Look at it. Glitch? Get serious.

Now if people feel cool with it and decide they want to keep using it, well that's their call.

wileecoyote1969

Reaction score

On a file posted by Titmus in these forums. Unless Titmus intentionally set it for only premiums, they pretty much made his entire posting pointless. Not the first time I have seen this either.

luddite

Staff Alumn
Staff Alumn
Reaction score

On a file posted by Titmus in these forums. Unless Titmus intentionally set it for only premiums, they pretty much made his entire posting pointless. Not the first time I have seen this either.

Titmus is gone, and any download that requires registration or a premium account will be removed if it is reported.

grievous

Reaction score
With several other download sites available, I too think we should just get rid of Rapidgator. It downright sucks.

Jacques99

Celebrity Connoisseur
Respected Member
Reaction score
I don't use RapidGator or D/L managers-->

When I download anything I always run a malware/virus check over it before I double-click it to activate the file and you're a fool if you don't do the same!!!

RapidGator has sucked for a long time, I don't trust that server with my files and I never have, even when it was Rapidshare I didn't use it! I wouldn't mind if RapidGator was banned here at CNF...

Last edited:

blueoystercult

Socially Isolated Since God Was A Boy
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
A few thoughts
I don't download much, but I have of late been looking into file hosts since one host used by my office a great deal, ** DEAD LINK REMOVED **, was banned in UK with EU limits now being engaged in.
I have not experienced any "viruses" or virus reports from Rapidgator themselves, but as with other hosts this may actually be triggered either by the coding that enables download managers or more frequently by embeds in any pop up or inline advertisement. It could be ads themselves. I have discovered several malicious ads contained on hosts sites. But it can also come from the interaction between ads and adblockers/popupblockers you may have installed. All this stuff works in similar ways so be sure of what is causing your reaction. It might not be the immediate report you have been given.
Rapidgator is a limited host in free mode. You have to pay attention to the countdown and go through the captcha in good time. Delay too long and the inbuilt timers tell you the captcha has expired and you have to wait another hour for a slot. It used to be that you could bypass that by deleting rg cookies, however they found a way to plug that gap. It's tedious if you get distracted while waiting anything between 60-240secs for the clock to countdown.
Another really tedious issue is that teh countdown clock sometimes goes all the way down then resets. this I discovered was a fault in the original link. I found that sometimes the url new rapidgator window/tab from the original link contained additional code. At the end of the properurl is a referrer code string that begins "?refer..." If you select everything from that "?" after the original .html to the end and delete it then press go again, that will tae you to the true link page and you can run through the process without issue. it's a pain in the bum but once you know about it spotting it becomes automatic.
On the whole however I have found that if you can access them, RG's servers are clean, the connection stable and the speed fairly constant and not prohibitively slow.
When I read discussions on file hosts I find a few things to be constant and true. Most people want a one stop solution. No host provides a one stop solution. Most people experience one or more issues with every host and think theirs is everyone's experience. Most hosts have different site-builds hosted in different countries and each one of these offers a unique set of constraints/issues. These are different for people depending on which region they are accessing from.
In my view there are advantages/disadvantages to every host and RG are no different. The older and more stable hosts like RG and Deposit still serve as a vital backstop. Advocating their removal as a host is a disservice to those who find them accessible and serviceable. I can no longer access ** DEAD LINK REMOVED ** because of their banning, but I would not advocate their removal as a host. I'd merely ask that content not be posted only to ** DEAD LINK REMOVED **.
It would be far more useful to all forum members if links were posted to as many hosts as possible to maximise accessibility. It;s unreasonable to expect all forum posters to put up six links or more, but what's to stop other members or moderators with fast premium access from helping to provide additional mirrors? We are a global forum. Shouldn't our members all be able to access content? And as a community, shouldn't we be more concerned with helping each other out rather than worrying about credit or click-thru pennies?
BOC