• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

"come and get it" a genuine issue

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Hey Kane,

Thanks for the info. I think I'll probably try it this weekend. I have to change hd's in my laptop so now would be as good a time as any to give it a go.

C0BRA

The Rise of Member
Reaction score
You guys will soon learn that I would not steer you wrong

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Cobra,

Well, I'm finally back up and running. And I have to say that firewall was a bit of a bitch to work with.

After the repartition and reformat, it was installed right after XP and the drivers. It really slowed everything down as it wanted an OK before virtually every file was installed. I did finally find a way around that. But, just when I had virtually everything installed, something happened. I was starting to install OpenOffice when I clicked on something and, all of a sudden, I had no rights what so ever. It wouldn't even let me turn the computer off! That was it for now. I reformatted again and installed ZA this time.

Oh well, will check it out a bit more and maybe give it a chance down the road. One observation I have is that I don't think its a firewall for an average user. It does seem to be highly configurable, but I don't think I'd put it on an average users machine. It would probably drive them nuts.

C0BRA

The Rise of Member
Reaction score
oh man, yeah I can totally see it being a pain in the behind when you are trying to re-install everything. There is a installation mode that helps a little but it still asks you too often if you want to change from that mode. I would disable the internet and comodo until I had all my apps installed then enable it. Would be overwhelming at first but eventually relaxes up.

It does make me wonder about ZA and how easy it would be for an app to install itself when comodo is always making sure ZA seems to not care as much.

Kaneinite

Respected Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that installation mode would definitely help...but disabling it would be a lot better. I think I'm going to uninstall it from my computer...just too much hassle and I never get anything serious on my computer. I'm careful on what I do...but I am also I.T.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Hey Cobra and Kane,

I've been thinking about that install a bit since the reformat and, at least for now, I don't think I'm going to be putting Comodo on any other machines. Here's why.

As we all know, there is still a debate about the necessity of a software firewall IF you're already behind a router. Since I'm virtually always behind a hardware firewall, a software firewall is redundant. So, since I do think that a software firewall is a good idea (for detecting unusual outgoing traffic), I'll continue to use a software firewall. But (and this is a big but), I do want it to be as unobtrusive as possible. Comodo is definitely not unobtrusive.

So, at least for now, I'll stick with ZA as its pretty simple and seems to do what I want. If I wasn't already behind a router I'd probably give Comodo more of a chance as it has some nice features; but its really more of a hassle than its worth for now.

KABOOM

I'm just here for the tits
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For someone who is mobile on a laptop and never behind a hardware firewall, would Comodo be something to try?

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
For someone who is mobile on a laptop and never behind a hardware firewall, would Comodo be something to try?

Boom,

It depends. Are you sure your not behind a router? If your positive that your not then you MUST be using a software firewall. Now, which one?

I've been using the free version of ZoneAlarm for several years now and I really do like it. It has a small footprint (thus is not using a ton of RAM) and, once it learns your habits, is pretty benign (meaning its not popping up a screen every few minutes). The only things I find annoying about ZA is that about a year or so ago they seem to have shortened the time between updates. And its a full update. The free version is also a bit of a pain to find on their website. You'll have to look around to find it. But, other than that, it does what I want. Not bother me too much and let me know when something is askew.

Comodo is a lot more hands on (it seems to me). And installing it third (after the OS and drivers) really made for a nightmare install for everything else I had to install after it. It would probably be better after everything else was installed first. Just make sure not to be attached to the internet until the firewall is installed.

Either app would be better than nothing. And I think I'd probably stick with ZA as its not as much of a pain.

Just my opinion.

KABOOM

I'm just here for the tits
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I have the ZoneAlarm free version as well, which is a huge bitch to find on their site, glad I'm not the only one that noticed that. As far as I know, I'm not behind a hardware firewall. I do not believe the campus has one through our connections, but I have never been quite sure on that. Which is why I still kept my firewall. I've never had problems with ZoneAlarm, except when it comes to printing, but that's probably my fun Dell printer being idiotic. I was just wondering if this is something I should look into for the possible future or just not worry about it now.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Boom,

Yeah, I have the ZoneAlarm free version as well, which is a huge bitch to find on their site, glad I'm not the only one that noticed that.

From what I've noticed lately, just scroll to the right of the ZA free page. Thats where it seems to be for now.

As far as I know, I'm not behind a hardware firewall. I do not believe the campus has one through our connections, but I have never been quite sure on that.

How do you get your internet? Are you hard wired into the network card on the back of the computer or are you using wireless. Nowadays, at the UW-Madison, virtually all of the classrooms and labs are wireless and some classes actually require students to have laptops with wireless cards.

If your using wireless then you're behind a hardware firewall. If you order your own internet access at an apartment and you plug your computer directly into a modem, then your probably not behind a hardware firewall. But it depends on the type of modem. More of the modems provided by cable and phone companies today are modem/router combos.

I was just wondering if this is something I should look into for the possible future or just not worry about it now.

Since your already using ZA I wouldn't worry about it for now.

Last edited:

C0BRA

The Rise of Member
Reaction score
Don't be confused, not all router's include a hardware firewall.

I switched from ZA because it was needing to reboot way to often. My experience with Comodo is not intrusive unless I'm trying to install something then I just tell it to go into installation mode.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
I switched from ZA because it was needing to reboot way to often.

Cobra,

Why was it needing to reboot? Any ideas? I haven't had that problem except on poorer wireless internet connections. Is that what your talking about?

C0BRA

The Rise of Member
Reaction score
It used to be pretty solid and pretty much invisible but then it seemed every update required a reboot.

just for fun I googled zonealarm vs comodo and of course got mixed reviews. Of course reviews leaned toward the 'familiar' ZA.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
It used to be pretty solid and pretty much invisible but then it seemed every update required a reboot.

Cobra,

As far as I know, every firewall requires a reboot after install. I'm pretty sure Comodo did. Is that incorrect?

C0BRA

The Rise of Member
Reaction score
Initial install?? surely. Haven't had to since tho. Could be because Comodo isn't forcing updates on me. What are those updates for? It's a firewall not a Virus Scanner. I can't think of a reason for a firewall to require (what seemed like weekly) forced updates. I finally just got tired of being told to reboot and I was having issues with my p2p that I no longer seem to have.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Cobra,

OK, 10-4. I understand that completely. Thats the same reason I've been thinking of switching to something else. Those updates from ZA are a pain. I don't understand the need for firewall updates either. If I get some time I'll look into that.