• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

helpctr.exe

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
OK guys, I've finally run into something that I have not been able to figure out. I just sold my beloved desktop and bought this used piece of *@%! Dell (Inspiron 1150) laptop as I figured it would be useful on the road. It initially came with only a 20 Gb HD so I dealt with the salesman for an 80 Gb and figured I'd install my copy of XP Pro on it. Last night I brought it home, partitioned the drive into 12 and 65 Gb partitions, installed Pro, drivers, Zone Alarm, Firefox and then started Win Update. Made it through the SP2 reboot and started the last set of updates when all hell broke loose. Everytime I tried to open anything, the Help system started opening windows left and right. I'd click on a link and get a help screen. Finally, since it was about 2 a.m., I quit for the night.

This a.m. I tried reinstalling with the original disks that came with the machine (XP Home) and it doesn't seem to have made a difference. Always, somewhere along the line, usually after the drivers have been installed, the machine starts opening help windows all over the place that are difficult, if not impossible to close. So far I've seen 52 of the same Help window open at once. Eventually, additional windows start appearing saying that no more can be opened because all system resources are used up. I tried turning Help and Support off with Services.msc but Win (or something) turned it right back on.

I've done some research on this and there seem to be several possible causes. A virus is a possibility (this seems unlikely as the machine isn't even hooked to the net yet). I've read that SP2 can cause it on some machines but this machine is doing it before any updates have been installed. I did catch it start after formatting the D:\ partition (and noticed the same thing earlier but just didn't believe it) so I deleted that partition and just went with one large C:\. This time I didn't even make it through installing the drivers before all the windows started popping up.

I've read that some of the mfg's nowadays are putting hidden partitions on their drives that contain all of the files necessary to put the machine back in order. I did find some info on that on the Dell website but no info on how to restore that to a new HD. My feeling is that this may be the problem. Possibly, the machines BIOS is recognizing a new HD, looking for the system restore info, not finding it, and creating the problem that I'm experiencing.

Any ideas??? I don't think this is the machines problem but I just don't know.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Duke,

Thanks for the info, will give it a try.

l3lasphemer

Reaction score
Where are you getting the drivers for the hardware? Is it from a disk supplied with the laptop? Or generic MS drivers? I have seen lots of problems with PC's and those generic laptop drivers.

Also for the Dell recovery partition, if you completely blow out all the partitions on the hard drive in the MS setup it should remove that partition completely. I am not sure about the hidden partitions but it is possible with Dell's craptastic recovery system of the past.

I would say don't install anything but the drivers, then do windows updates, then install programs to avoid anything wierd going on, also I would make sure to not plug in any ethernet cables or wireless connections until you are ready to do the windows updates.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Blasphemer,

Thanks for the info but it appears the problem has been solved (at least to this point). A lesson in overlooking the most obvious.

Since this is a refurbished machine I didn't think to check that the problem could be that the F1 key could be either stuck or intermittently making contact without my assistance. It appears that was what was happening. Late last night I pulled the cover on the machine and it appeared very clean. Talked with the tech that sold me the machine this a.m. and he suggested the F1 key. Seems to have worked. Only one unwanted help window has opened since this mornings repartition and reformat.

So, I guess the lesson is, don't forget the obvious solutions. I will have to figure out how to clean under that key though (and the r key is a bit tight also).

l3lasphemer

Reaction score
Laptop keys pop off very similar to a regular keyboard, just be careful when putting it back in not to push too hard because you coudl damage the circuit board behind the keys.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Blasphemer,

Thanks for the info, when I get a bit more time I'll have to get to that. If I remember correctly, isn't there a certain sequence they're supposed to be taken off? And, if so, where could that sequence be found?

Thanks.

l3lasphemer

Reaction score
Not that I have ever seen, though with some models that may be the case. I have accidently popped off plenty of laptop keys while working on them and popped them back in with no problems.

awdawd

Reaction score
I heard that if it is an F key, that you can just pop it off and you'll be fine. I know that with some laptop keyboards the letter section can go wonky if you pop one off.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

Haven't had the time, as of yet, to check the two keys that are sticking but this brings up another question. Once I have the sticky keys off, whats the best way to clean them? Air? Alcohol and a Q tip? Something else? Probably depends on whats making them stick but was just wondering.