• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

VHS to digital

HOBBAM

Reaction score
I've searched around with mixed results.

In transferring and converting VHS tapes to digital, what is the best format to convert to and save, ex........> mpeg, avi, mov, wmv, etc?

I want to retain the best quality image possible, and going from film to digital, I wasn't sure if one format was better than the other?

In addition, in transferring, trying to retain the same quality, if what is the file size based on hours of tape?

I've heard the file size of 1 hour of VHS tape TRANSFERRED to digital is 14gb.
If that's the case, how can video fit on dvd?

ptb_666777

Reaction score
I don't know if this will help, but they sell something that dose just what your asking.

A dvd can have over 200 min (240 i think)of video on lowest quality setting. Your not going to lose any quality on this setting, Not from vhs. you'll want a program that takes a digital video file and converts it to dvd. I fit two movies on one dvd at medium quality. Low quality wont let me enough to add a third or I would.

I am a fan of .avi but it all depends on the encoding, not so much the file type.

14gig is ludicrous, vhs quality just don't need that much.

Dansport

Reaction score
The better the codec, the better the transfer will be. WMV is popular only because it's so prevalent. Mpeg is OK but DIVX and AVI are better because they retain more data (but the files are larger). MOV is also better; its based on Apple's Quicktime so some people don't want to install/use it.

The Aspect Ratio is just as important because if you expand a 360x240 video to full screen you'll hate the blurriness. The larger the ratio and the better the quality, the more disc space you'll need.

But it's really up to you. If you invest some time into learning a more advanced ripper you can pick the best quality format to save your rips. Remember that VHS quality is at the lowest end of the spectrum so you may want to adjust the color and timing settings before burning. So I spend some time using a separate video editor and I'm much happier with the results.

IMHO

HOBBAM

Reaction score
Well, that's the thing is that I don't know what the aspect ratio of VHS is? I did a lot of recording on 4:3.......but when it comes to the translation to converting to digital or what the actual size is of the tape, I have no idea. I don't know whether it could be 360x240 or 1024x1024? I don't want to adjust the size, if it means a loss in video quality.

I did invest in a VHS to DVD program. A lot of the video I want to edit down, some to put to dvd and the rest could be saved as files and put on an external. But I need to know the ratio size I guess, and what type of file size I'm looking at.

HOBBAM

Reaction score
I don't know if this will help, but they sell something that dose just what your asking.

A dvd can have over 200 min (240 i think)of video on lowest quality setting. Your not going to lose any quality on this setting, Not from vhs. you'll want a program that takes a digital video file and converts it to dvd. I fit two movies on one dvd at medium quality. Low quality wont let me enough to add a third or I would.

I am a fan of .avi but it all depends on the encoding, not so much the file type.

14gig is ludicrous, vhs quality just don't need that much.

What would be the acceptable size though to retain the highest quality video?

I can fit up to 4 movies, but I create a dvd data disc and my player can read the files, and the quality is very good.

ptb_666777

Reaction score
A video dvd can hold 270 min of video on lowest quality, but that is in dvd video format. I have downloaded my share of movies most are between 700mb-800mb, but I have not tried to encode my own videos. I do have the all-in-wonders video card that has the rca input, but never used it. When I tried the vcr I was using had some copyright crap that made it fuzzy.

I think vhs is around 800x600.

My best advise without any experience is to try some test runs. Start with the lowest settings first, and look at the quality and size. then, up them if needed till your happy with the results.

dansport is right tho, it is all about the encoding. The same quality video can be small to very large depending on the compression used by the codec. For example I'm a dbz fan and I downloaded a few eps. Some files where 400mb or more while others where only 60mb.

4:3 is standard format. Your vhs tapes use it unless it is a special wide screen tape. So, your ok there.

If I where you I would just play around till I was happy. Only thing you have to lose is a lil time, but your really gaining xp so there is not much of a loss.

HOBBAM

Reaction score
A video dvd can hold 270 min of video on lowest quality, but that is in dvd video format. I have downloaded my share of movies most are between 700mb-800mb, but I have not tried to encode my own videos. I do have the all-in-wonders video card that has the rca input, but never used it. When I tried the vcr I was using had some copyright crap that made it fuzzy.

I think vhs is around 800x600.

My best advise without any experience is to try some test runs. Start with the lowest settings first, and look at the quality and size. then, up them if needed till your happy with the results.

dansport is right tho, it is all about the encoding. The same quality video can be small to very large depending on the compression used by the codec. For example I'm a dbz fan and I downloaded a few eps. Some files where 400mb or more while others where only 60mb.

4:3 is standard format. Your vhs tapes use it unless it is a special wide screen tape. So, your ok there.

If I where you I would just play around till I was happy. Only thing you have to lose is a lil time, but your really gaining xp so there is not much of a loss.

I'll try to run some tests. I just wanted to make sure I had the drive space, but also...and it's the primary issue.....making sure that I had the correct video size. I didn't want to stretch the image in anyway.

I just wish there were specifics or charts to reference by.

ptb_666777

Reaction score
There probably are try Google. Actually hold on I will . . .

VHS Format
Provides up to 250 lines of horizontal resolution . . .

Technical Specifications of the VHS Standard
Tape Width: 12.70 mm (½ inch)
Tape speed: 3.335 cm/s for NTSC, 2.339 cm/s for PAL
Record Time: Up to 6 hours (SP) using thin tape. Normal tape has a maximum of 3 hours.
Note: Many VCRs have a long-play (LP) mode which slows the tape speed to allow longer record time. This is not part of the official VHS standard.
Video bandwidth: Approx 3 MHz
Horizontal resolution: Approx 240 lines
Vertical resolution: 486 lines for NTSC, 576 lines in PAL. . .

Below is a list of modern, digital-style resolutions (and traditional analog "TV lines per picture height" measurements) for various media. The list only includes popular formats. All values are approximate NTSC resolutions. For PAL systems, replace "480" with "576".

* 350×240 (250 lines at low-definition): Video CD
* 350×480 (250 lines): Umatic, Betamax, VHS, Video8
* 420×480 (300 lines): Super Betamax, Betacam (professional)
* 460×480 (330 lines): Analog Broadcast
* 590×480 (420 lines): LaserDisc, Super VHS, Hi8
* 700×480 (500 lines): Enhanced Definition Betamax

Digital formats:

* 720×480 (500 lines): DVD, miniDV, Digital8
* 720×480 (380 lines): Widescreen DVD
* 1280×720 (680 lines): Blu-ray, D-VHS
* 1440×1080 (760 lines): miniDV (high-def variant)
* 1920×1080 (1020 lines): Blu-ray, D-VHS

hope some of that is useful.