• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

Western Digital, Seagate, or Maxtor

HOBBAM

Reaction score
Any recommendations on an external hd?

Western Digital seems to be getting the most shelf room at the retail/electronic/computer shops, etc.

I looked at their External 320gig "My Book", the blue one, not the green, which has a dual interface (?), with 320gig hd space (which space-wise is all I need at the moment) Data transfer rates up to 480 Mbps via USB 2.0, up to 400 Mbps via FireWire, 8MB cache buffer, 7200 rpm for fast read/write times, 8.9 ms average seek time.

I also looked at a couple Maxtor and Seagate models, but wanted to get an idea of what model/brand would be the best, and primarily.... the most reliable.

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
They are all good companies and they will probably all work most of the time. My personal preference is Western Digital, but Maxtor is also good.

I've had several WD's at home and worked with Maxtor's in a computer store too.

The way I usually treat brands is based on experience. If I buy 1 of something (any electronic) and have a good experience with it, I have no problem with buying a second from that company. (and vise versa)

OFFicerJACK

Reaction score
I have a Seagate Barracuda (ST3160023A) that boasts the quietest seek noise of all drives (2.7 bels idle, 3.7 bels performance seek.) This is important if you use the computer for extended periods. People don't realize how noisy some of these machines can be. It has the same seek times you've listed. Since you're running external, the shock value is important. It will withstand 63G's operating for 2msec. and 350G's non-operating. Still I wouldn't drop it if I were you!

It claims 600 thousand hours MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure). Most drives are like this except for the acoustic values. One thing to remember, the MTBF doesn't mean a thing if you don't keep the drive cool. Heat destroys all hard drives and does it well. Be sure the drive enclosure has a fan or heat sink.

I'm completely happy with this drive, but I suppose any you've listed are good. Go to their websites and you can download the manuals.

HOBBAM

Reaction score
They are all good companies and they will probably all work most of the time. My personal preference is Western Digital, but Maxtor is also good.

I've had several WD's at home and worked with Maxtor's in a computer store too.

The way I usually treat brands is based on experience. If I buy 1 of something (any electronic) and have a good experience with it, I have no problem with buying a second from that company. (and vise versa)

Well, Maxtor's from what I saw, used to be the main brand at the time, and I know a lot of computer manufacturers would sell them, as add-ons or whatever....but as of late, I've seen less of the Maxtor's.....so I don't know whether they have fallen out of favor with people, or whether there have been problems with the newer models as of late???......and as I said, Western Digital has been having more shelf space, so I don't know whether companies or what not, are favoring them more, etc???

Epc525

Reaction score
I dont have much experience with externals, but I always go with Seagate for my internal HDD's because of their 5 year warrenty. The only reason I bought a WD drive for my pc is because they offer better gaming HDDs. Officer Jack is def right. I have a Seagate barracuda for extra storage, I never hear it. I have a WD Raptor for my OS and it can run pretty loud.

blazin

Lost Member
Reaction score
i own a couple maxtor and seagate hard drives, and i don't have issues with either brand but i do prefer my seagates for the 5 yr warranty and they are quieter...

HOBBAM

Reaction score
I have a Seagate Barracuda (ST3160023A) that boasts the quietest seek noise of all drives (2.7 bels idle, 3.7 bels performance seek.) This is important if you use the computer for extended periods. People don't realize how noisy some of these machines can be. It has the same seek times you've listed. Since you're running external, the shock value is important. It will withstand 63G's operating for 2msec. and 350G's non-operating. Still I wouldn't drop it if I were you!

It claims 600 thousand hours MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure). Most drives are like this except for the acoustic values. One thing to remember, the MTBF doesn't mean a thing if you don't keep the drive cool. Heat destroys all hard drives and does it well. Be sure the drive enclosure has a fan or heat sink.

I'm completely happy with this drive, but I suppose any you've listed are good. Go to their websites and you can download the manuals.

Well, I'm looking primarily for a reliable external drive for data storage purposes only.

Something I can rely on, where I can plug it in, drag and drop files onto the external drive, and unplug it....knowing if my system crashes or whatever, I wont lose any of my files, etc, because they'll be on the external.

So it was coming down to WD 320 My Book Premium Edition and this Seagate model that I forgot the name of at the moment.

Both boast efficient cooling systems that keep them cool and quiet.

HOBBAM

Reaction score
1 more thing.......on the issues of viruses..........on the OFF-CHANCE that there is some virus or part of one on an OS...........but you're not sure...........

If you were to transfer any files (that are clean) onto an external drive for safety, is there any chance a virus can jump from an internal drive to the external, as you are trying to transfer the files to the external???

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
If you were to transfer any files (that are clean) onto an external drive for safety, is there any chance a virus can jump from an internal drive to the external, as you are trying to transfer the files to the external???

Hobbam,

Go with the Seagate. Primarily because of the warranty. What I'd recommend is to just buy a Seagate HD and then look around for a good external case for it. It will only take you about a half an hour to stick the drive in the case. Its really pretty simple. DON'T buy a cheap case as heat could easily totally crash the drive.

As far as transferring files is concerned. Yes, if you have infected files on one drive they will be transferred to another. You should always scan all files prior to transfer.

Last edited:

potsie25

Reaction score
Seagate and Maxtor is the same company nowadays so theres basically no difference.
Western Digital is slightly better quality.

GrapJ

Balki Bartokamus
Reaction score
I started with a Samsung HD and it has never failed
i continued with Quantum Bigfoots
eventually it looks like this now

The USB device is a LaCie containing the Seagate

The Chief

Reaction score
I had a Maxtor die on me once when it was only a couple of months old...just sayin

GrapJ

Balki Bartokamus
Reaction score
I had a Maxtor die on me once when it was only a couple of months old...just sayin

Yes, me too
I was warned because it started to fail in steps, so i could copy a lot off.

I sended it by post (10 euro's) to Germany and some days later i received the one i'm still using.
and yes, i made backup's so there was only little harm done.
That's what i have the LaCie for (backups)

marka

Reaction score
I have been using seagate for a very long time from my first computer. It had something like 169MB(still works as of today). Then I had a 4GB which still works and a 160GB which I am using at the moment.

Can't go wrong with seagate.

JimE

Reaction score
Seagate and Maxtor is the same company nowadays so theres basically no difference.
Western Digital is slightly better quality.
I can tell you Maxtor is the shittiest HD ever made. You can look it up in different forums where ppl complain about it.
Now I know Maxtor has bought up the Seagate company; so it's difficult to know what is what anymore. Anyway I had once a Maxtor die on me after only 3 months. I bought a Seagate a year ago and it's still running. I assume it's not a Maxtor anymore. Best HD's are WD.

JimE

Reaction score
Yes, me too
I was warned because it started to fail in steps, so i could copy a lot off.

I sended it by post (10 euro's) to Germany and some days later i received the one i'm still using.
and yes, i made backup's so there was only little harm done.
That's what i have the LaCie for (backups)
The LaCie used Maxtors 250Gb in their "Porsche design" external drives. IT was a plastic case and had no ventilator !! I knew b4 I bought the LaCie 250GB ext HD that Maxtor had not a good reputation. So when I connected my LaCie how could I know there would be a Maxtor in it ? So it died after 3 months. I think the small LaCie plastic enclosure without ventilation helped a great deal in the failure of the Maxtor HD

The Mighty Z

Been away for a while
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
I have a Maxtor 320 Gig external and a Western Digital 500 Gig external.

Never had any problems with them.

GrapJ

Balki Bartokamus
Reaction score
My LaCie is fitted in some aluminium housing with a fan that also cools the transformer
Made it myself after finding they are both getting very hot.
I think without the extra cooling one of those components will fail someday.

I must say i don't use this configuration very often. (maybe ones a month)

silvertounge

Reaction score
Western Digital or Seagate is good dont know much about maxtor, i have 2 seagate hd one is 40gb one is 320gb