• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

Web site ?

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Since I'm not a web site designer I have a question for those of you who are.

My roommate, a student in web design, is between semesters and getting ready to back up her files. I was just looking at her file structure and it looks to be a real mess. She's telling me that all of her files for a particular site (and she's working on two) all have to be in the root directory. Is that accurate?

Could she not have a separate directory for each site and then subdirectories for .html files, photos, etc.?

It seems to take her forever to find a particular file at times (which is to be expected if her belief is accurate) so I was just wondering if that is accurate.

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
web file structure is the same as desktop file structure, because they are both computers. all a webserver is, is a powerful computer.

its not necessary to have all the files in the root directory, unless she has a specific reason.

the only reason i can see for having all the files in one place is for the URL, to make it shorter. naturally, the more subdirectories you create, the longer the URL will be.

so, the answer is no, but she must have some reason.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
CMan,

"the only reason i can see for having all the files in one place is for the URL, to make it shorter. naturally, the more subdirectories you create, the longer the URL will be."

Thats pretty much what I thought. So, as far as you know, there is no reason for all of her files (for two different websites) to be in the root (other than the length of the URL)? That makes sense to me.

Since you have several sites, how do you organize your files? All files for a particular site in one directory with subs for different types of files (thus longer URL's)? Or is there another, more accepted, method in the design community?

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
** If she hosts on a windows box, you can basically ignore this post lol **

I have always used a Apache running on Unix servers to host my sites, and there is somewhat of a standard directory structure. Technically, you can set it up however you want, you just need to tell the DNS server where to find the site (what the path is), but most people stick to the standard way, to avoid confusion.

The website "root" directory on a unix server is usually the "public_html" aka. "www" folder. The path is like /usr/home/username/public_html/exp0sed/ , which would correspond to the front page of exp0sed.com, and anything under that would correspond to subfolders of the website. its possible that she didn't necessarily mean that everything had to be in one folder for the site. she could have meant that everything had to be in public_html, which I suppose is true.

i am kind of anal about structure myself, so you will notice that my sites are very neat and tidy haha. i have the celeb galleries under /celebs, the paparazzi under /paparazzi and so forth.

Its pretty much the same way you would organize your home computer.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
CMan,

10-4. Completely understandable. As it turns out (we just had a conversation about this) she apparently does understand that each site could have its own folder and subfolder, she's just too lazy to go back and edit some file that controls the entire site. These are her first sites so I guess its somewhat understandable, but (as I'm also VERY anal about file structure), hopefully, she'll get the idea that she needs to manage those files a whole lot better.

Thanks for the info.

[CRO]Cyrus

Reaction score
she can have subdomain like site1.yoursite.com , site2.yoursite.com etc.
each subdomain has own folder so she can put each site in own folder ;)

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
subdomains are an option but not necessary. you can also just use subfolders, which requires less set up.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Appreciate it. I had another talk with her yesterday about the importance of managing files and, hopefully, she finally got the idea. But time will tell if it really sunk in.

It just amazes me sometimes how little most people understand about the subject. After a couple years of inattention most people couldn't find a particular file if their life depended on it.

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
She probably knows all about file structure et al, just too lazy to worry about it.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
CMan,

Yeah, probably. Just like probably 90% of people out there. They just don't get it until something happens. An interesting story.

Several years ago I was teaching software courses at an insurance company. It became quickly apparent that few of the secretaries had ever been taught proper file management. I remember more than a few instances where a manager or secretary would come up to me after a class and describe the following scenario:

A manager would get a call from a client and would be unable to find a hard copy of what the client was talking about. So the manager would go out to the secretary and ask her for a printout ASAP. The poor secretary, having never been taught proper file management, of course, couldn't find the file thus really ticking off the manager. And this apparently happened a lot all around the company.

After talking with several of the managers in the company we decided to have all of the secretaries (and mid level managers) go through a 1 day class to get their skills up to par. I guess it helped as those complaints diminished.

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
well file mgmt isn't the end of the world. all they need to do is learn how to use the search ;)

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
CMan,

This was longer ago than I initially thought. The company, at the time, was still using Win 3.11 and just in the process of converting to Win 95. I don't think the search function was too awfully good back then.

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
no wonder they had problems. windows 3.1 was donkey balls.

realistically, windows 2000 was the first actually GOOD version of windows (xp was built on 2000, with added bells and whistles for home users)

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
CMan,

"windows 3.1 was donkey balls"

Ain't that the truth. I never even used the file manager in 3.1 (or 95 if I remember correctly), even though I had to teach it. I just kept using DOS. For me, it was much easier and faster.

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
I've never been good at command line stuff. I can do it, I'm not stupid, but I prefer GUI when possible. I just find it easier.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Cman said:
I've never been good at command line stuff. I can do it, I'm not stupid, but I prefer GUI when possible. I just find it easier.

Yeah, I rarely use the command line anymore either. Now, mostly when I'm messing around with Linux or trying to config an IP. But, when I first started (DOS 3.0 if I remember correctly) with these infernal machines there was no choice. Everything, even Mac, was command line.

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
Cman said:
well file mgmt isn't the end of the world. all they need to do is learn how to use the search ;)

For those of us who "get it", the whole issue seems weird. I see one of the supposedly big improvements in Vista is the seach capabilities. I get on computers every day that have that Google desktop search thing. I never have trouble finding files, because mine are organized, and when I do have trouble the search thing works well (once you undo Gates' "helpful" default setting of not searching hidden files).

I just don't get the fuss...but then I have no idea how to cook the simplist little things so I guess it's all about what you do and don't "get".