• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

Arturo Gatti vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Who will win?

• Gatti

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Mayweather Jr.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Who cares

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reylas1

Reaction score
**Can sum1 plz move this to the discuss. section (sorry)
24062005040635_banner_thunder_lightning.gif

GATTI vs. MAYWEATHER

"THUNDER & LIGHTNING"
World Super Lightweight Championship
Saturday, June 25, 2005
Live on Pay-Per-View

"THUNDER & LIGHTNING" STRIKES ON JUNE 25

AT BOARDWALK HALL IN ATLANTIC CITY, NJ

Arturo Gatti Defends his WBC Crown Against Floyd Mayweather, Jr

In the Year's Most Anticipated Showdown

Live on HBO Pay-Per-View

New York, NY (March 23, 2005) - Arturo "Thunder" Gatti will put his WBC Super Lightweight Championship on the line on June 25, 2005, when he challenges boxing's best pound-for-pound fighter, WBC #1 ranked contender Floyd Mayweather, Jr. The epic super lightweight championship showdown-"Thunder & Lightning"-will be jointly hosted by Caesars Atlantic City and Bally's Atlantic City, and will take place at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, NJ. HBO Pay-Per-View will broadcast the bout live, beginning at 9pm ET/6pm PT.

Tickets, priced at $1,000, $750, $500, $300, $200, and $100, can be purchased by calling Ticketmaster at 1-800-736-1420. Tickets will go on sale on Friday, April 8.

"Gatti-Mayweather is the most highly-anticipated fight of the year", said Main Events CEO Kathy Duva. "And it is destined to take its place alongside the other great jr. welterweight showdowns in history, such as Pryor-Arguello and Whitaker-Chavez."

"I'm very happy that the fight was finally made," said Arturo Gatti. "I'm looking forward to June 25th. You'll see Arturo Gatti at his best."

"This is a fight the public really wants to see," said Bob Arum of Top Rank. "It's a riveting match-up and I personally cannot wait to be at ringside on June 25."

"I'm excited because this really is a big fight, we're on pay-per-view and I've always wanted to get Gatti in the ring," said Mayweather. "I never take any fight for granted - none at all - and I'll train extremely hard and be completely prepared when I get into Atlantic City."

"Gatti vs. Mayweather is a compelling showdown between two of the marquee fighters in the sport today," said Mark Taffet, HBO Senior Vice President of Sports Operations & Pay-Per-View. "It's a fight that boxing fans will be talking about before, during and undoubtedly after June 25th."

"Caesars Entertainment is thrilled to host the World Super Lightweight Championship in Atlantic City's Boardwalk Hall," said Bally's President Ken Condon. "Fight fans will witness the world's most exciting boxer, Arturo Gatti, defending his title against Floyd Mayweather, who many believe is the world's best pound for pound fighter. This event is guaranteed to be one of the most exciting events in Atlantic City boxing history."

Gatti (39-6, 30 KO's) has participated in the "Fight of the Year" five times (1996-1998; 2002-2003). The 32-year-old Montreal, Canada native and current Jersey City, NJ resident captured the vacant WBC super lightweight title on January 24, 2004, when he defeated WBC #1 ranked contender Gianluca Branco in front of 12,000 fans at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, NJ (W 12). The Branco bout was Gatti's first since his epic trilogy against Mickey Ward in 2002-2003. Gatti has defended the title twice, stopping Leonard Dorin in two rounds (KO2) and Jesse James Leija in five rounds (KO 5).

Mayweather (33-0, 22 KOs) is a two-time world champion who has consistently given one sensational performance after another in the ring. The 27-year-old Grand Rapids, MI native won the WBC 130-pound world title and The Ring magazine's "Fighter of the Year" award at the age of 21. Today he is considered by many observers to be the best boxer at any weight. In his last fight on January 22, he dominated Henry Bruseles and stopped him in the eighth round in Miami. The Associated Press reported from ringside, "While Mayweather set the tone with his speed, he used an impressive power-punching display in the eighth to send Bruseles to the canvas..." Fightnews.com reported, "Floyd Mayweather solidified his hold on the mythical number one pound for pound boxer in the world with a dominating eight round knockout..."

Main Events and Top Rank are promoting the evening of boxing, in association with Caesars Atlantic City and Bally's Atlantic City.

The Gatti vs. Mayweather pay-per-view telecast, beginning at 9pm ET/6pm PT on June 25, has a suggested retail price of $44.95, will be distributed by HBO Pay-Per-View and will be available to over 50 million pay-per-view homes. HBO Pay-Per-View is the leading supplier of event programming to the pay-per-view industry. For more event information log onto www.HBOPPV.com

KABOOM

I'm just here for the tits
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like it si going to be a good fight, but I'm not much of a boxing fan. Voted for Gatti cause of the picture. :lol:

Reverend James

Reaction score
Gatti amazes me. That guy is a little powerhouse. I don't know too much about Mayweather, but I highly doubt anyone will beat Gatti for the next few years.

KABOOM

I'm just here for the tits
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I guess choosing by looks can be good then at times. :D

moxdevil

Reaction score
Looking forward to this fight, boxing survives because of the middleweights and light heavies.

I think Mayweather will win, he's just too good. Too accomplished a fighter.

(edit: er i meant lightweight to light heavy)

Reverend James

Reaction score
In the boxing world you can't usually feel too good about voting for the white guy... but it has always been a safe bet with Gatti. Plus, he is the only "non-Hilton" Montreal boxer that I can remember... yeah, I am siding with my fellow Canuck.

Anyone know what ever became of Tommy Morrison? After that HIV thing he sort of disappeared from the limelight. Is he still relatively healthy?

Supafly

Barely Ever Here
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
Gatti's a fucking stallion and Mayweather has some serious skill.

I gotta go with Gatti though. Saw an interview with the 2 last weekend and Mayweather is a cocky prick who showed Gatti absolutely no respect. If you saw any of the three Gatti / Ward fights you now why he deserves to be shown respect. Those three fights rank in the top 10 of all time.

Reylas1

Reaction score
Supafly said:
If you saw any of the three Gatti / Ward fights you now why he deserves to be shown respect. Those three fights rank in the top 10 of all time.
whoa not all three of those fights, maybe Gatti/Ward III with the broken hand knock out can rank but a lot of boxing has gone down b4 that fite
about this fight thouogh i think gatti is gonna win by decesion but jus by 2 or 3 pts.
butim definatly prepared for a rematch in november or decemeber

Supafly

Barely Ever Here
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
Reylas1 said:
whoa not all three of those fights, maybe Gatti/Ward III with the broken hand knock out can rank but a lot of boxing has gone down b4 that fite
about this fight thouogh i think gatti is gonna win by decesion but jus by 2 or 3 pts.
butim definatly prepared for a rematch in november or decemeber

aight then, give me one fight/fights in the last ten years that ranks up there with that trilogy.

Reylas1

Reaction score
o ok see you didnt say top ten fites in the last ten years you said top ten all time

Duke E. Pyle

Reaction score
Mayweather will be the guy to beat for a few years to come. Im thinking if he fights smart then his speed will beat Gatti

RichieTBaum

Reaction score
It seems as though Gatti loses whenever he faces top-tier talent.
Although I wish Gatti would win, Mayweather is just too damn good.
Gatti is classy, tough, and genuine; all things that boxing lacks these days.
Unfortunately, a cocky bastard will win again.

Reylas1

Reaction score
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J.– Floyd Mayweather Jr., who belittled Arturo Gatti by calling him a C-plus fighter throughout the buildup to their fight, made him look more like an F fighter.

Arturo Gatti
Gatti regretted playing "headhunter" and deviating from his gameplan.

Mayweather landed combinations nearly at will on the slower Gatti and pounded him relentlessly until trainer Buddy McGirt stopped the fight with Gatti on the stool after the sixth round Saturday night at Boardwalk Hall.

The sold-out crowd of 12,675 – nearly all Gatti supporters – watched as Mayweather destroyed their hero. Mayweather won virtually every second of the fight to take Gatti's junior welterweight title.

Mayweather (34-0, 23 KOs) is now a three-division champion, having also won titles at 130 and 135 pounds. At 140 pounds, there are huge fights for Mayweather on the horizon. Division kingpin Ricky Hatton was ringside, as was title holder Miguel Cotto.

It was apparent early on that Gatti (39-7), a cult hero among boxing fans because of his propensity for bloody fights and miracle comebacks, had no chance against Mayweather.

He simply could not deal with Mayweather's speed and accuracy. HBO will replay the bout next Thursday at 10 p.m. ET/PT.

"Too much speed," Gatti said. "Things weren't coming out right. He's fast. He's harder to hit than I thought. I was head hunting too much. Buddy kept telling me to stop head hunting but I couldn't stop. He was just too quick."

Mayweather, who was carried to the ring on a chariot with the Queen song "Another One Bites the Dust" blaring, knocked Gatti down in the first round when Gatti, thinking the referee was going to break the fighters, turned away and was nailed with a left hook.
th_8ba_g_gattiface_180.jpg

Gatti went to his knees but was up quickly. However, it set the tone for the domination that would follow.

"I was always told to protect yourself at all times," Mayweather said. "The referee [Earl Morton] let us fight."

Floyd Mayweather (center)
Even after dominating Gatti, Mayweather (center) seemed stunned by the ease of his victory.

"I thought the referee would break us apart because [Mayweather] held my head down, but he hit me," Gatti said. "I guess you have to protect yourself at all times. I learned that lesson the hard way."

Mayweather was landing everything – left hooks, right hands, body shots and a sneaky uppercut– throughout the fight. The typical scene went like this: Mayweather landed a three-punch combination and quickly moved away without taking anything in return.

"We got off track in the first round," McGirt said. "Mayweather is a very good fighter. You can't take anything away from him, but Arturo got off the game plan. I wanted him to work the body and circle to his left. You can't stand in front of Floyd."

In the end, Mayweather connected on 168 of 295 blows (57 percent) while Gatti managed to land a paltry 41 of 245 punches (17 percent).

"This is one of his most dazzling performances," said Roger Mayweather, Floyd's trainer and uncle. "Floyd is used to big fights. I'm not surprised what happened. He thought he was the champion coming into this fight."

Indeed, it ranks up there with his demolitions of Genaro Hernandez, Angel Manfredy and Diego Corrales.

Midway through the fourth, Mayweather landed a five-punch combination from all angles without Gatti throwing a single punch in return. Moments later, it was a six-punch combo from Mayweather, again with no answer from Gatti.

In the sixth round it was obvious that Gatti was in trouble. There would be no miracle comeback, no two-way brawl.
th_312_g_mayweather_275.jpg

Mayweather was gracious in victory after a trash-talking buildup.

"Gatti was tough, strong and came to fight. I respect Arturo for giving me the chance to win the title," he said. "He's a great champion and I'm a great champion. Everything I said about him before the fight was just to hype the fight."

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.

moxdevil

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of Ricky Hatton, watch all his fights etc... but think that it could be like this fight if he were to fight Mayweather. Hatton is a warrior like Gatti, but i think he would fall at Mayweather's superior boxing style. Mayweather proved his credentials of pound-for-pound best boxer last night.

Last edited:

Duke E. Pyle

Reaction score
I would have bet the house on that fight, and kept it too :mrgreen:

Reylas1

Reaction score
Whoa Roy got upset both times, Gatti was a 3-1 underdog Mayweather is amazin