• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

Download issue - unusual problem

yakovitch

Actively social distancing
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I hope someone has an answer for this, it's driving me nuts. I use a dl manager, and back when I switched to this computer (about 8 months ago) when the window came up asking what firefox should do with each unique file type, I ticked the 'do this automatically' box... regrettably. For different reasons not all links are recognized by my dl manager (i.e. if there's a captcha required, and since about 2 weeks ago rapidshare isn't recognized at all anymore). So, for many links I have to go to the applications tab in options and switch from 'always ask' to 'save file' (I should mention I use firefox). The problem is that a few file types aren't listed in there - wmv, mp4 and mkv for instance - thus I have no way of dl'ing those files without un-installing my dl manager. I'd prefer it not have to come to that, so if anybody has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Error_404

Making 'em disappear
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
File sharing sites and the code behind Captcha is always changing to increase security. Because of that, once changes are made, many download managers will occasionally stop working suddenly on some sites. It sounds like the download manager needs to be updated.

As for Firefox's internal file type handling, if Firefox is installed AFTER the programs that handle given file types (ie. WinRAR for .RAR files, MS Office Word for .DOCX, etc.) sometimes it won't update itself to recognize pre-existing file extensions. There used to be a really good add-on to correct it but it has disappeared. I found an alternative that might help but it isn't as feature filled as the old one...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/do-this-automatically/

Hope this helps.

yakovitch

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Appreciate your help StarDuster, but that add-on doesn't really help my situation. It actually bypasses the window I need to get to. Seems really ridiculous that firefox gives you no way to add file types to the applications tab in options. Damn this is frustrating.

Error_404

Making 'em disappear
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
Ahh ok. I misunderstood your problem. I thought it was download manager related.

It sounds like the problem you are having is with FF's MIME type/file handling. In that case, I found the old add-on I mentioned. It allows you to add pretty much any file type to Firefox and assign a default action for it. Keep in mind that for each file type you add, you will have to add the MIME type as well. This Wikipedia page is a great place to find these.

MIME types will look something like application/x-rar-compressed for RAR files or video/x-matroska for MKV video files.

Download, extract, right-click, Open With, select Firefox, and install MIME Edit v0.60. From there, selecting the add-on's options will allow you to make any needed changes...
http://depositfiles.com/files/x4a6bdkq2

Let me know if that does the trick.

yakovitch

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks so much for your assistance, I'll give that a try in the morning... sounds like it might be exactly what I'm looking for. Again, much obliged. I'll post back with the results.

yakovitch

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
StarDuster, I am eternally in your debt... works like a champ. I really cannot thank you enough.

Error_404

Making 'em disappear
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
Glad that got you fixed up. It's the least I can do for your many excellent posts :)