• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

Windows Startup Question

hodgepodge

Reaction score
Where do I go to control which programs load up when windows start and appear in the quick tray icon? i know it can be done because I have seen it before but I have no idea how to get to the screen. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Gibson

Reaction score
I think you want Scheduled Tasks.

Start Menu > Run > Tasks > Add Scheduled Task

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
If you want to find out what is and isn't necessary, here are a couple of good starting points.

1. Click here for a start up database...and a pretty good one at that.
2. This one doesn't have as many entries, but has more explanation of what things are.

If you don't see a process in either one of those, you can always just Google it.

msconfig is a good basic way to get at your startups. Keep in mind you don't have it on Win 2000 but you can steal the file from another computer and it will work fine on Win 2K.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
hodgepodge,

You should definitely start with msconfig. Onerythm's instructions are correct. If you've never done this before you'll probably be amazed at how much crap you have running unnecessarily in the background. And you'll probably notice a difference in the computers speed.

But msconfig is just the start. Preferred User mentioned a couple of good sites but Black Viper needs to be mentioned here also as he's probably the original on this subject. His site is down at the moment but his MS Services page is here:

http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

Make sure you read the entire page first and understand what your doing because you could turn some services off that you really need but, if you do it right, you'll notice your machine is faster yet.

Duke E. Pyle

Reaction score
Aww man don't you know? For playing games many people like myself use a little program called "end it all". run it, cut out all the shit, and restart after youre done with the game. It was made for gaming purposes but now a lot of folks use it for other progs. A quick search says you can get it here: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,95493,00.asp

edit: also if you go here this guy will show you how to configure windows to get more out of games and all programs. The guy is well known and a great help....http://www.blackviper.com/

Last edited:

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
you can put something in or remove something from your Startup folder

or its usually in the settings/options of the program in question

Duke E. Pyle

Reaction score
system restore and try it again if you got xp and all else fails.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Onerythm,

This sounds like it could be an overheating problem. Games put a lot more stress on the CPU than most other apps. Check to see if you have any software that came with your PC that monitors the CPU temp. Keep it running and monitor the temp for a while just doing normal things. Then, after the CPU is warm and running at pretty much a constant temp, start running your game and see what happens (you probably won't be able to run the game full screen).

You could also use Win Task Manager (ctrl+alt+delete). Click on the performance tab and monitor what happens with and without the game. Its not as useful but could give you an indication.

Your on dial-up right? I can't think of any reason for the telephone lines to cause that and I can't think of any reason for the services to do that but the most likely services that would do that would be the network settings.

The first thing I would do is check those temp. settings. That seems like the most likely cause.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
110 deg. seems a bit high if you have an AMD. You can go to either the AMD or Intel websites and find the optimum temp for your specific CPU.

You could have a power supply problem but I would check the temps first and see what happens. I haven't used liquid cooling yet but if its a temp problem you'll have to see if the liquid cooling is the problem. Do you have a fan for the CPU if you need to diagnose?

A WARNING! It may be better to go get a power supply and swap it out first to see if thats the problem. If you haven't installed a CPU fan before it may be best to take it somewhere and have a pro do it. BE VERY CAREFUL if you decide to do it yourself (especially if its an AMD) as you can easily fry both the CPU and motherboard if you do something even slightly wrong.

Keep us informed.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
I would try the power supply swap first. If that doesn't work you can always take it back. If your connection to the ISP has been OK the only thing I can think of that may change that is if you telaphone line has somehow been damaged. Have you had any bad storms recently? If so, you may also notice the line being scratchy or briefly cutting out. I doubt its the tel. line or the ISP. If your sure of the temps and you think the pwr supply may be the problem, swap it and see what happens. Just keep your receipt and make sure it can be returned.

I've used Black Vipers advice for a couple of years and found his info to be really good. I've not run across the problem you've described so I don't think its his tweaks (at least if you followed his directions carefully). I've definitely gone too far and turned off stuff that needed to be on but it was always easy to figure out the problem and turn the correct service back on.

This still sounds like a power or heating problem to me.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Hey onerythm,

Are you back online yet? Did that fix the problem?

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
onerythm,

The heat wasn't affecting the internet connection per se. The excess heat generated by the gaming affected the CPU (and probably other parts) to the point where everything started hiccuping. As I'm sure you know, enough heat can destroy just about anything. Before putting everything away I would probably take a close look at the motherboard for any type of scorching. If you find any, get prepared to buy a new mobo. If you don't find any your probably OK, but.....