• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

Mobile Computing

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
one,

I don't have any preferences anymore. Just make sure you repartition and reformat the thing and put a fresh install of Win (or whatever OS) on it. Don't use the idiot CD that will come with the machine as its filled with spyware.

I haven't checked in a while, but there was a lot of info about a year ago about most of these mfg.'s putting a lot of spyware on their machines in order to keep their costs low. And I doubt if things have changed much in that time.

Edit*

Just thought of one thing. Be careful about the wireless card that will come with the laptop. May be best to just buy a PCMCIA card instead. They have better sensitivity generally and can be modified if need be.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
one,

I'm not a real big fan of laptops unless you really, really need one (i.e., for business). The only other thing I could say to watch out for here is to make sure you go with the Intel processor (about the only time I'll say that). They're mobile processor (at least the last time I checked) had much better battery life than the AMD, which, if your taking this thing away from many AC outlets, can really make a difference.

Just in case things have changed I'd make sure you do some research on the battery life between Intel and AMD.

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
I'm with min on laptops. They cost more, run slower and are hard to upgrade and/or swap out components. That being said, you couldn't pry my ThinkPad away from me.

But they're also a risky place to put $3,000. They're stolen all the time, and one drop can be a total loss. Unless you're on a plane a lot, I don't know that it makes sense to pay the big bucks for a super lightweight one.

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
I would never recommend getting a laptop for your main computer, but they rule as a secondary computer (for the portable aspects)

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
One,

I understand the "keeping up with the Jones'" reference but do remember that laptops do "disappear" at school. In some areas, its practically a cottage industry.

And unless your willing to spend mucho dinero, you'll never get Doom 3 to work correctly on a laptop. The video cards are usually too small.

I guess if I were you, and really needed the laptop, I'd try and find a relatively inexpensive one that will do what you need at school.

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
Speaking of disappearing laptops, I put MacPhoneHome on my kid's PowerBook as he walks around Manhattan with a $1,500 computer under his arm. It's supposed to email me every time his computer connects to the 'net with IP information. I got a few emails for a month or so, then it stopped. I called once, have written many emails. They got my $29 now they really don't give a shit.

So every chance I get I tell people, don't waste your money on PcPhoneHome!

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Preferred,

Not familiar with the app, but how is that activated? Just wondering if the kid found it and disabled it.

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
Min,

No, I've talked to him. He's an artist...not a computer guy (hence the MAC). He wouldn't know how to disable it. It worked for a while, then didn't for about a month, then started working again...all without my kid doing anything. I'm not an expert with the MAC OS so can't tell you much about how it runs. What I do know is that Brigadoon software doesn't return my emails, and didn't get back as promised during the one phone call I had about it either.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Preferred,

Well, it sounds like the app is crap then. Gotta love those companies that won't stand behind their software. :(

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
onerythym said:
....in fact warranties piss me off. if something breaks you gotta ship it off for months at a time to get fixed? poop on that. I like it when, god forbid, something breaks or fails and i can just run down to the local store and swap in a new part.

Couldn't agree more. I especially dislike the extended warranties. People bring their computer in under the ex warranty, it takes 4 weeks and they can't live without a 'puter so while they're there they buy a new one with another extended warranty. The only one who comes out ahead is the store selling ex warranties.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Preferred User said:
Couldn't agree more. I especially dislike the extended warranties.

Preferred,

In general, I agree with you about extended warranties, for most things I wouldn't buy one. But in the case of laptops I do disagree. I used to have an old 486 Compaq that screwed up a couple of months before the extended warranty expired and they just replaced the laptop with a more modern version.

I don't know if they would do that today but, given the nature of laptops being banged around a bit, I think I would still buy the extended warranty with a laptop (but thats about the only thing).

But I do prefer the idea of just building it yourself. Much better idea.

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
I've never even considered building one myself. I know I'll be shot for saying this here but....every time I've looked at building a desktop myself, I add up the cost of all the components and can't make sense of it.

I have a second computer that's my print server, backup drive, etc. Celeron D at 2 GHz, 80 Gig HDD, 512 RAM....I paid $400. I'd be shocked if I could build one for that.

Go ahead and shoot me guys, but I've never made sense out of the dollars on building it yourself.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Preferred,

Here's how I look at it. Granted that if your building your first machine from scratch, a store bought PC will be cheaper (the big companies get their parts much cheaper than we can). But, once the machine is built, there are many advantages.

1. You're no longer afraid of the infernal machine and whats inside. Once you've built one, your generally no longer afraid to do just about anything inside.

2. When something does go wrong, you have a pretty good idea of how to troubleshoot the problem and replace parts if necessary.

3. In the long term, it is much cheaper to just swap out parts than it is to replace a whole machine every two to four years.

Personally, I'd never buy another desktop or allow a friend to. Once you have the knowledge of how easy these things are to build, it really makes no sense to buy a major brand. Besides, you also don't get a machine filled with spyware right from the factory.

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
mindido said:
Besides, you also don't get a machine filled with spyware right from the factory.

That is a huge advantage. Incredible what I take off a new machine these days.

But for me the bottom line is what you said, the big boys get a much better deal from AMD and/or Intel when they're buying by the thousand instead of one at a time. Same with the rest of the components.

To each his own.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Hey one,

Those ARE pretty good numbers. The only thing I would be careful about is the wireless card. Is that on the board or PCMCIA? From what I've been hearing (and actually using), check out the Netgear WG 511T (I have the 311T for my desktop). The thing that really stands out about it is its sensitivity and you can get them locally (usually). Otherwise, I hear the Orinoco cards are pretty good also but can be hard to find.

Check out this site for a good comparison chart:

http://www.seattlewireless.net/HardwareComparison

And thanks for the info.