• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

Upgrading RAM

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
I had an hour between appointments so stopped at the computer store and bought another 512 of RAM to add to my ThinkPad’s current 512. What a waste of $70. Seemed like no difference at all. So before I took the 512 back to get my $70, I ran some unscientific speed tests.

I made sure Windows was managing my page file…no custom settings. Made a shortcut on my desktop to page two of Spastic Camel’s Fitness Models thread (because it has a lot of pics). Cleared my Firefox cache. Then rebooted. First with 512 of RAM, then with 1024 RAM and timed various tasks.

512 RAM (boot with cleared Firefox cache)

Boot up................................................................................65 seconds
Exp0sed thread...................................................................30 seconds
Clear cache, Outlook & Word, then Exp0sed thread.............28 seconds

1,024 RAM (boot with cleared Firefox cache)

Boot up................................................................................64 seconds
Exp0sed thread...................................................................34 seconds
Clear cache, Outlook & Word, then Exp0sed thread.............25 seconds

And to think I stood there debating whether to go for the 1 Gig module to add to my 512!

Take all the shots you want. I know it's not an exact study. But it did confirm my suspicion...that I really don't need more RAM. Now I do have an ATI video card with built in RAM so your notebook might be different. But if you have a clean running computer (meaning no unnecessary processes running), your 512 is probably just fine.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Preferred,

Just so that people don't get a bit confused here, we need to reiterate that if your just using the internet, some word processing and other minor apps; then 512 MB is just fine. I think your test clearly shows that.

But if your using high end graphics apps, then the more RAM the better.

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
mindido said:
But if your using high end graphics apps, then the more RAM the better.

I would bet that you're right. It's not the way I, or any of my clients, use a computer so I have no experience. I would bet some users here (Conman comes to mind) will tell you that graphics need all the RAM they can gobble up.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Preferred User said:
I would bet that you're right. It's not the way I, or any of my clients, use a computer so I have no experience. I would bet some users here (Conman comes to mind) will tell you that graphics need all the RAM they can gobble up.

Preferred,

Actually, I have no doubt of the need for as much RAM as possible with high end graphics apps. My roommate is a student working on a degree in Web design and computer graphics and uses these apps daily. We have her RAM maxed out and the machine is tweaked every way I know how. If she winds up staying in the field (which I'm sure she will), she'll wind up probably having to build a new machine every two years or so. It sucks but what can you do.