• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

Computer Tech Career

Epc525

Reaction score
I am currently attending college to obtain a applied science degree in computer systems technology, but they are makeing me take all of these bullshit programming classes. I hate programming and hope to never have to do it later in my life. I just want to be a computer tech. I dont need to make alot of money I just want to work with computer hardware wich is sumthin I like. I would like to be a computer tech so I was just wondering if there was anyone on the forum that was a computer tech and could help me decide whether I need a degree or not. I would like to just be able to get my A+ Cert and get a job.

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
LOL!! I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!!!

The same thing happened to me and I have an answer for you. Computer Science or really any University computer course = programming. Plain and simple. If you want a tech course, you have to go to college. I went to Univ for 2 years and did terribly, I then attended CompuCollege and was just shy of the Honor Roll ;)

Its funny that we have basically the exact same ambition. The trouble is that there aren't a lot of good tech jobs out there. Most companies want "experienced" techs and even if you do get a job, you usually have to start at the bottom (in their call center or something) and work your way up. It sucks balls.

I am a trained and certified tech, but the reason I got into the internet thing was basically because I couldn't get a tech job. Maybe we should start a business together haha

You don't need a degree/diploma to be certified, but you do have to have enough knowledge to pass the test obviously. If you don't find a suitable course, you could always just buy a bunch of text books, teach yourself and then take the certs. I would recommend A+ obviously and its also good to take a few Microsoft certs. Even just one, so you can call yourself an MCP. Other than that it depends on what your future job will require.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
epc535,

I can understand your problems with programming. That really takes someone that is really into that type of thing. The thing is that Cman is correct. To be a computer tech is not that difficult and doesn't require a college degree. Just go get a couple of MS certs and your off and running. The problem is (as Cman described) that its tough anymore to make much money as a tech and you can, eventually, get pretty tired of it.

So the question really is, are you really in the correct field of study at the school your at? Maybe you need to look at something else.

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
Well, thats not exactly what I meant. I would suggest getting as much education as possible, because the more credentials you have on your resume, the easier it will be to get a job.

Also, I didn't mean for the tech field to seem hopeless. Its difficult, but not hopeless. I don't plan on running a celebrity site for the rest of my life ( :rolleyes: ) I would eventually like to become a tech, or something that is a little more hands on. So, if its really what you want to do, then go for it. I just thought it was funny that someone else is going through as similar thing as I did

Epc525

Reaction score
I have takin classes to prepare myself for the A+ cert. By the way where can I get info on taking it. I have also been working at Circuit City for almost a year now as a tech and am able to take a microsoft cert there. I believe CC will pay for my A+ which would be nice. I love working with computers and I know I never want to program, I am pretty sure I will have to move as well because of the lack of opportunity here. Its nice to know I know some people that know my pain. I've searched some of the degree programs in the colleges around my area and I've found nothin. I'm still stuck cuz if i drop out of school I lose all my medical, so I gotta give it alot of thought. If you know any info about where to go to get info on the A+ cert please let me know. Thanx

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
http://certification.comptia.org/a/

I took it through my college. There are probably various testing centers in your area, but make sure its an "official" testing center.

l3lasphemer

Reaction score
I started out much the same way, I went to a tech school and graduated with honors with an Associates Degree in Info. systems. I was thinking about hitting a standard 4 year college but I thought it would be a huge waste of time and money because I had the knowledge I needed to get in the door as a tech.

One thing that I can think is a good thing to have some familiarity with programming is it helps you communicate with other IT people, even if you are a tech, programming, QA whatever. Having at least a general knowledge of something will help you greatly in the team environment that is pushed nowadays.

Speaking of A+ how much is that test running now? Last I checked it was about 300 bucks for both tests.

For Epc525, with the site that Cman provided there is usually a local testing area in just about all states, alot of them are at local universities.

riceman

Reaction score
programming sucks but its necessary shit to have in the back of your brain so when you are filling out a resume you can add "knowledge of..." to it in various areas. plus some it comes in handy.

as far as getting a tech job, if you temp a few places eventually one of them will ask you to stay. the more you learn at different jobs, the better you'll get.

i worked at a real sham college that had all sorts of raggedy equipment and on the opposite of the spectrum they had some state of the art gear. i got to use both and learn both. i also had to figure out how to get old gear to network properly with new. so i learned assloads. i just got a phone call from a corp. today offering me 17 an hour for 24 hours a week. and i have no degree or certification in anything.

it really is more can you actually fix the problem than if you read a few pages about it.

but yea. the temp thing is definitely key. but you can always apply to places that say they have requirements because most of them are just hoping to find someone who fits their dreams, but in most cases a guy or girl who knows everything about computers demands a super high salary. any one trying to get their foot in the door will usually work for less.