• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

Who's the best guitarist?

Gowar

Reaction score
Wow, no one even mentioned Santana... I'd have to say Hendrix.

BigE

Reaction score
huge Santna fan here. He's my #1. Otmar Liebert is pretty incredible also.

Gonjawolverine

Reaction score
In a battle of dueling guitarists, I would have to say that Jimi Hendrix would emerge as the champion.
The award for most underrated Guitar player would go to Kurt Cobain, the guy was fucking good.

Reverend James

Reaction score
Henneman and King from Slayer are pretty good for short speed solos. I liked Glenn Tipton/KK Downing back in the day. I have to go with Stevie Ray Vaughn or Malmsteen though, overall... or this stoner that lived on my floor in university.

Guitar magazine (I think) is doing the top 100 worst guitar riffs/solos in history in their next issue.

Texan

The Gunhand
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
Stevie Ray Vaughn by far is the greatest, Kenny Wayne Shepard is on his way to greatness.

ryan82282

Reaction score
the1the0nly said:
Tim Reynolds is pretty damn good too.

Anyone here even HEARD of him?

He's the shit, but like alot of these guys mentioned, he is just fast, or technical. Hard to say who is the best though just becuase there are so many things to consider, but i think having some real soul in what you play and making people really feel it is more impressive than just shreading the fret board. Warren Hayes is a good example.

Hanzo

Reaction score
malmsteen would destroy everyone posted on this thread

Davidian

Reaction score
Every guitar player on this thread has their own style and technique for many to consider them on being "The Best Guitarist" I have heard everysingle one mentioned above and like them all...just want to throw out some more names:

Zakk Wylde
BB King
James Hetfield (no one said they HAVE to play lead to be considered)
Dimebag Darrell
Tonni Iommi (Balck Sabbath)

My vote would go to Randy Rhodes. He inspired me more than others because he was trained in many different techniques and applied them to rock/metal...well I may add. If he lived longer who knows what kind of masterpieces he would have written.

Now as far as Kurt Cobain goes...I'm not taking anything away from him, he was a great musician...but in no way should he be mentioned in the same sentence as Hendrix, Page, Malmsteen, Clapton, etc...

Texan

The Gunhand
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
ANother one who has not ben posted yet the motor city madman Ted Nugent

SuiCyCo

Reaction score
i suppose no ones heard of body counts Ernie C. but go download some BC and listin to one guitar solo and youll see that he is the ultimo shit.

singhr

Reaction score
As a fellow guitarist, I definately have my favourites. I've been playing for over 10 years and have many styles that influnce my playing including rock, metal, classical, and jazz. Instead of racking my brain trying to think of a list of guitarists I've taken many who were listed in this thread that I thought were great, and others who I think shouldn't really be on this list. However, it is all personal opinion so to each his own. Here are my comments:

David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) - Definately the reason I'm playing guitar today. I remember sitting and listening to Comfortably Numb years ago and
playing air guitar to the solo. As soon as I got my first guitar I just knew that I had to learn that song in it's entirety. I've played it live and it's definately a crowd pleaser. Gilmour has such a smooth playing style with
classic tones.

Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits and solo) - My second guitar idol. The song that did it for me was Brother's in Arms. I tried for ages to get that guitar tone but unfortunately Knopfler uses EMG active pickups and I wasn't willing to make the switch from my Seymour Duncan's to active EMG's. He is amazingly smooth with both rock, classical, and blues influence. He can play classical styling all with finger picking and still throw in the occational rock riff (Listen to "Private Investigation") or throw some country/rock runs in with smooth arpeggio's (listen to "Calling Elvis").

Lindsay Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac) - Not mentioned in this thread yet but a very under-rated guitarist. If you've ever seen Fleetwood live then you know what I mean. He plays everything finger picked and really rocks when he's on stage. Absolutely a pleasure to see live and will surprise most of you if you ever get the opportunity to see him play.

Lenny Kravitz - What can I say?? He's a one man band. Lenny plays all the instruments on all his albums and does all the vocals. He is less than a guitarist and more of an all around musician. Who else do you know that plays the drums, bass, guitars, and does all the front end and back end vocals on his album??

Joe Satriani and Steve Vai - I'm not really a Steve Vai fan but I've
listed these two together because Joe Satriani (Satch) taught Vai. They're both amazingly skilled guitarists and have done so much for the guitar and music industry, however, they're not a widely known in the mainstream. Also, they both given Ibanez guitars the recognition they deserve for creating amazing instruments. Satch's best work by far is on "Surfing with the Alien" and "Crystal Planet".

Kirk Hammet and James Hetfield - Metallica has made it really big in
their musical careers, however Kirk Hammet is WAY WAY WAY Over-rated. Sure he knows his scales and is fast, but he has very little feeling and emotion in his playing. Hetfield is such a versatile guitarist and his playing has such feeling. Kirk Hammet has to learn to slow down. His slower tunes is where he really shines.

Yngwie Malmsteen - His is good technically, but once again, anyone can learn their scales and learn to play them fast. Playing day in and day out, using extra-lite strings (8's) and getting your fretboard scalloped can make anyone fast. He is technically good but once again, has no feeling or emotion in his music.

Van Halen - Let's see, using a chisel to dig out enough space in your guitar to drop a humbucker, and then changing the guitar world with never before heard riffs and licks? Amazing!! I'm not a huge Eddie fan but what he has done in his time is incredible.

Eric Clapton - Ol' Slowhand is super smooth, and just makes the guitar sing. His music has matured over the years but he's never lost his charm on stage.

Oscar Lopez, Otmar Liebert, Jesse Cook - These guitarists are probably my favourite classical guitarists. Jesse Cook is a must see if you ever get the chance. (Listen to "Mario Takes A Walk")

Randy Rhodes - I am a huge Ozzy Osbourne fan and Randy was absolutely amazing. However, if you listen to any of his Quiot Riot material, it's exactly the same as all of the Ozzy material. However, in all fairness, I guess his short time in the industry and early death prevented him from showering us with more of his talent. Listen to "Dee" off of Blizzard of Ozz to hear his most versatile work.

Kurt Cobain - He shouldn't be renown for his guitar playing because in all honesty, he wasn't a stellar guitar player by any means. However, he should be renown for his song writing ability and influence on the grunge music industry during his reign. Dave Grohl is a much better guitar player. All Kurt ever did was play simple power chords with very simple minor-pentatonic solos.

Anyhow, I could go on forever but I'm getting tired. That's all for me for now!

Duke E. Pyle

Reaction score
singhr 10 years on an instrument is but only a second. If you could wait about 10 or 15 more years then go back and read your last post you'd want to smack yourself. You wouldn't get away with that stuff around true musicians. I agree about Kurt and half with Kirk except he can't play fast and doesn't play scales. Who else does what Lenny does? Prince and no matter how hard he tries he can never be Prince. I don't know what it is but i can't stand to hear Lenny...his voice or his guitar 8)

Count_Floyd

Respected Member
Reaction score
Tony Iommi! Influenced all the music i've listened to for a long time..

singhr

Reaction score
Duke E. Pyle said:
singhr 10 years on an instrument is but only a second. If you could wait about 10 or 15 more years then go back and read your last post you'd want to smack yourself.

I agree that 10 years is only a drop in the bucket. However I have had a fair bit of studio experience, recorded a fair share music, played with session musicians with 30+ years of experience etc. Im not sure if the amount of years played should be used as a benchmark towards experience. I know many many players that have been playing for much longer than me but can't simple concepts such as modes.

Duke E. Pyle said:
You wouldn't get away with that stuff around true musicians.

I hope that you're not trying to tell me that I'm not a true musician.... :? I've put a lot into every song I've written solo, with bands, and what I've done in the studio.

Duke E. Pyle said:
I agree about Kurt and half with Kirk except he can't play fast and doesn't play scales.

I'm not sure who you're referring to here? Please clarify

Duke E. Pyle said:
Who else does what Lenny does? Prince and no matter how hard he tries he can never be Prince. I don't know what it is but i can't stand to hear Lenny...his voice or his guitar 8)

I never said that I like Lenny's music but Im just acknowledging what he does do. Someone else in the thread had mentioned his name and I thought he was worth mentioning for the sheer rarity of his talent in the industry. In a world of the Britneys, Christinas, vocoders, and sampling, it's nice to see soemone go out there and just do it all.... for real :)

RichieTBaum

Reaction score
Holy Shito....

This topic has lost all of its credibility because of the mention of one name...Lenny Kravitz.

Although he does play multiple instruments, his vocals are crap, his riffs are crap, and on his only good (and that's a stretch) song, Are you Gonna go my Way, a different guy plays the main riff.
Watch his live performances and you'll know what I'm talking about.
That is if you can even bear watching Kravitz play live.... :angry:

The_Thief

Reaction score
I have to go with the blues and B.B. King. He could make that bitch sing. Also props to Wyclef Jean and The Artist (Prince).

Max Johnson

Reaction score
Dimebag Dimebag Dimebag

Can't believe only one guy got it right. Dimebag Diamond Darrel can obviously do heavy but he can also do mellow (Floods, 10's, Suicide Note Pt 1, Planet Caravan). He's as creative as they come and no matter how hammered he gets he still hits all his notes live.

Kirk Hammett is way overrated. Metallica would be every bit as great if Hetfield played all the geetars in the studio (he sometimes did) and hired a touring guitarist.

Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails does all his own music including the pro-tools part. Kid Rock can play every instrument too including the tables. The best guitarist in Anthrax has always been Charlie the drummer. Hetfield played drums a few tours ago for Metallica and has been said to be able to play almost anything he puts his mind to. These are just a few examples but it's not uncommon for a guy in a rock band to be talented in more than on instrument. Being multi-instrumental oesn't make them great at any one instrument but I do agree that it is impressive and makes them actual musicians as opposed to the dispised pop assholes.

Duke E. Pyle

Reaction score
singhr you're either a prodigy or you spend decades trying to perfect your craft. And even prodigys spend years. And knowing modes, scales, or even reading music doesn't give you another notch on the experience tree.

Quote:Yngwie Malmsteen - His is good technically, but once again, anyone can learn their scales and learn to play them fast. Playing day in and day out, using extra-lite strings (8's) and getting your fretboard scalloped can make anyone fast. He is technically good but once again, has no feeling or emotion in his music.

This sounds like a statement by one of the little teens who used to come in the music store where i worked. And has no truth to it whatsoever. Any of it. The hump that most musicians go over is brushing off the talents of incredible musicians and focusing on what they themselves can do. In some twisted realm of thought actually comparing themselves!! I apologize if you took offense, but we jumped from opinions to supposed facts. I think its great you play. My very last class of highschool the teachers last words were: If i could give you any advice for living in this world it would be Learn to play an instrument any instrument. I'll never forget that.