• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

Who's the best guitarist?

lilly

Reaction score
Pork-soda thanks for the reminder - Alvin Lee - Little Schoolgirl on Rock Anthems 1 DVD - very 70's man

Peter Frampton - Guitar God 1

Carlos Santana - Latin Guitar God (Moonflower Album)

The Isley Brother who spanks the plank - soul guitar

Eddie Van Halen - the early days with big DAVE TV

Gary Moore - Thin Lizzy - Black Rose

Jimi of course

Neil Young - Rust never Sleeps - play loud in the car !! 8)

pork_soda

Reaction score
I always thought Vernon Reid from living coulor was really good dont think hes the best but he's up there on my list of the ones i admirer.

endymion

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I totally forgot to add:

Richie Sambora - Hey he may be in Bon Jovi, but if you've ever seen him live or one of his solo shows, you'll know what I mean.

and

Butch Walker - This man is a genius! You must check him out if you can, get his solo album "Left of Self Centered" or his album with the Marvelous 3 "Ready Sex Go" and you'll hear what I mean.[/b]

Max Johnson

Reaction score
Re: greatest guitar player

godfrey012 said:
Steve Morse, won overall best guitarist in the world 5 times in a row. No one is as good as him or is anyone close. Satriani,Vai and Petrucci will admit that hes better than them because theyve admitted to it before. Petrucci is faster than malmsteen and neither are faster than Morse or as technical.
Jimmy page was good back in the 70's,now well there are alot better and kirk hammett, well he shouldnt even be mentioned in this discussion

I have never heard of such a contest and I think you made it up. There are magazine polls but that's usually tainted by teenybopper flavor of the month crap. Whatever band has the hot song gets all their guys nominated. I see a little bit of that here on this thread..."I like this band so the guitarists must be great". Even bad guitarist have good moments. Doesn't make them great.

Jimmy Hendrix invented a genre? Uh...no. If anybody gets props for singlehandedly inventing a genre it's Tony Iommi. He invented the evil Heavy Metal guitar sound. Not Jimmy Page or anybody else. Thank God he cut half his fingers off or we'd all be listening to crap today.

sinjin

Reaction score
Here are my Top 5:
I can belive only one other said SRV!!!!!

#1 Stevie Ray Vaughn
srv1.jpg

#2 Jimmy Page
page_j2.jpg

#3 Mark Knopfler
mark_k.jpg

#4 Jimi Hendrix
pict7.jpg

#5 Eric Clapton
Eric-Clapton-49-a-s.jpg

Honorable mention:

Joe Satriani
David Gilmour
Eric Johnson
Eddie V.
Lindsay Buckingham

And yes I do play....I have a '76 American Strat. re-issue.

*EDIT*

Another amazing Guitarist just came to mind...he is STRONG #6 for me.
MICHAEL HEDGES
If you ever see his cd pick it up. He invented his own style of guitar. Amazing man, heartbreaking story....look him up...

motoman

Reaction score
Kirk Hammet is by far one of the elite guitar players his solos were insane, and for all of those who don't believe kirk can't play fast might I suggest picking up a copy of "And Justice For All" one of the best rock albums I've ever heard.

thunder19

Reaction score
Could name all the biggies, but here's the forgotten/underrated few I love.

My favorite is Tony MacAlpine. Love his stuff.

As for underrated, just saw Matthias Jabs with Scorpions last weekend. He's still terrific.

What about Michael Schenker.

Vernon Reid is a good choice too; very unique sound.

Rik Emmitt from Triumph.

Duke E. Pyle

Reaction score
Tony Macalpine man its been along time since i heard that dude!! Good choice. Im kinda surprised so many chose Jimmy Page. A salesman at a local music store here put it good he said "If page was to walk in and plug up and play in this day in time he would be kicked out of the store" I understand turning "noise" into art and all but damn i'd rather hear Hendrix do it. Please don't flame me for that folks, I understand its only my opinion :D Like Ace from Kiss i just can't listen to that racket!

bocaj423

Reaction score
Oh, and to back that up just watch some of led zeppelins performances. He could play every way possible. I mean come on, who else do you know could ever think of playing with a violin bow, or bending the strings past the nut. You have to admit he is one of the most inventive of all time.

bocaj423

Reaction score
But i also favor the guys from the "grunge" bands too; mike mccready, cobain, kim thayil and jerry cantrell.

Red Horse

Reaction score
Man, I forgot! Dave Murray, Adrian Smith and Dennis Stratton...IRON MAIDEN :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ...when they were really great!

phantomplanet

Reaction score
best guitarist

This is my first post, I appologize for not posting earlier, but im extremely busy right now. My vote for "best axeman" would have to be Stevie Ray Vaughn. I would also like to point out that Hendrix openly said he was by know means the best, in his opinion one of the dudes from zz-top was the best (dont know the guys name).

xache2112

Reaction score
Al Dimeola
Michael Angelo Batio
Michael Romeo (Symphony X)
Steve Vai
Ron Jarzombek (Spastic Ink, Watchtower)

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
First post. I agree with most of what has been said above although I am not familiar with many of the newer guitarists. I guess I'm showing my age but the following is a list of most of my favorites.

Jimi Hendrix
Jeff Beck
Eric Clapton
Chet Atkins (check out the album Chester and Lester). Lester is Les Paul, another very good guitarist.
Eddie Van Halen
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)
Pete Townsend
Carlos Santana
Dave Edmunds (Love Sculpture) from 1968. If you can find it, check out the song "Sabre Dance" originally written by Katchaturian. It is one of the most amazing songs adapted for guitar that you will ever hear.

St.Anger

Reaction score
even though I would say Hammet on any other day, as a tribute to the one of the best, I say Dimebag. -rip-

Jlo23

Reaction score
Personally, I think that any list that doesn't have Hendrix at the top of it is absolutely bogus...

I still remember seeing one of my dad's Neil Young albums, on which Neil is wearing a button that says "Hendrix is God".

Or Pete Townshend talking in amazement about a show where "The Who" and Hendrix got into an argument about who would play last. Hendrix ended up having to go first, and after he blew the crowd away, he walked off the stage and said "Follow that motherfuckers." Pete admitted that they couldn't.

Or Paul McCartney going to a Hendrix just a week after Sgt. Pepper's came out. Hendrix found out that the lads from Liverpool were there, and then proceeded to play the half the album in the middle of his first set.

The man was the most influential guitarist of all time, and able to do anything, and I mean anything on a guitar. Musicians bowed down to him. Clapton continually pays homage. Steve Vai wrote "Boy from Seattle" to emulate him. Stevie Ray loved him too.

Quick throw in--- Jimi's Favorite Guitarist - Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top

Anyway, I think it's unfair to even try and make a list without breaking it into decades. The technological advances made from decade to decade make it near impossible to compare different eras. What could Jimi have done witha processor? What could Eddie have done with just a tube amp?etc.

1950 and earleir: Joe Pass (Jazz), Les Paul (Blues, named the guitar after him didn't they?), Chuck Berry (Rock)
1960s: B.B. King (Blues), Jimi Hendrix (Rock brought the wah pedal to use), Paul Simon (Folk)
1970s: Jimmy Page - Led Zeppelin (Rock), Frank Zappa - (I guess you could call it Jazz)
1980s: Eddie van Halen - VH (invented tapping), and Slash -Guns and Roses
1990s: Tom Morello- Rage and Trey Anastasio - Phish

Others that haven't been mentioned in this thread...

Jerry Garcia, Grateful Dead - one of the best jam guitarists of all time.
Dave Matthews - some of the most inventive chords ever.
Nuno Bettencourt, Extreme - Flight of the Bumblebee anyone?