• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

RE-INSTALLING WINDOWS PLEASE HELP

OhMan

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me with this... Alright so my comps become pretty uh.. dead. You know slow, logged up with programs and games i never use anymore. I want to re-install windows and wipe everything. I already have everything backed up, and i have the original windows system cd. But when i put it in to reinstall, it wont allow me to because i have a newer version of windows than what is on the cd. I believe this has to do with my service pack upgrade.. but i dont know how to get around this. Any helps appreciated. Thanks again. :computer:

visitor

Reaction score
As long as you're sure you have everything you need backed up...

You don't want to do a "reinstall".

Make sure you have a valid "Product Key" available, put the CD in, reboot from the CD & do a new installation including a reformat.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
OhMan,

Alright so my comps become pretty uh.. dead. You know slow, logged up with programs and games i never use anymore. I want to re-install windows and wipe everything.

You probably have some spyware on the machine which is taking up alot of the clock cycles. In this case, I would highly recommend that you repartition and then reformat the drive. There are certain types of spyware/viruses that can be loaded upon startup. The only way to get rid of these is to repartition.

Your procedure should be:

1. Make sure you have all drivers and software you will need prior to the R&R. Possibly most important is the firewall. If you don't have one, go download ZoneAlarm Free Edition. I've used it for years and have put it on alot of machines and it works just fine. Just make sure its the FREE version and make sure you read very carefully all of the screens when your installing it. They really want to sell you the paid version.

2. Once your sure you have all drivers and software, make sure you disconnect the machine from the internet and don't hook it up again until the firewall is installed.

3. Repartition the drive, reformat and then install XP.
4. Install all drivers.
5. Install your firewall.
6. Once the firewall is installed you can now hook the machine back up to the internet. But NOT before.
7. Reinstall whatever other software you wish.

I already have everything backed up, and i have the original windows system cd. But when i put it in to reinstall, it wont allow me to because i have a newer version of windows than what is on the cd. I believe this has to do with my service pack upgrade.. but i dont know how to get around this. Any helps appreciated. Thanks again. :computer:

Actually, stick the XP CD into the CD drive (don't shut the drive) and shut down the computer. Reboot and follow the instructions. If you haven't repartitioned before it may be a good idea to find a friend that has and have them give a hand.

Good luck.

OhMan

Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for the advice. Mindido, According to Norton and Aol System checks, i'm virus/ spyware free, but i think the repartitioning/formating is the best way for me to go anyway. I just had one question.

I found a tutorial on it and it says to insert your boot disk and instalation cd and restart from the boot disk. Then you'd get a dos prompt on the c drive, where you would enter "format c:".

I have the installation cd, but no boot disk, so i inserted it and opened command prompt and entered the formating line. It seemed to work except that the disk at hand, C, was busy or something along those lines.

I believe this to be obviously because i was running windows on it. I think the only way i could do this would be with a set of xp floppy boot disks. My dell doesn't take floppys, but I was wondering if it would be possible for me to format and add files onto a usb drive to use as a sort of substitute. Would this be possible? And if so, then where would I find the files needed?

Thanks for all your help so far and any you still have to offer.

flvs78

Reaction score
When you do a reinstall of XP it will ask you which drive to install it on, you can delete the partition there and recreate it, setup will format the drive before it will install anyway.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
OhMan,

Mindido, According to Norton and Aol System checks, i'm virus/ spyware free, but i think the repartitioning/formating is the best way for me to go anyway.

As far as anti-spyware apps are concerned, you should be using Spybot and AdAware. I wrote a sticky a while back in this forum which has the URLs for them.

I found a tutorial on it and it says to insert your boot disk and instalation cd and restart from the boot disk. Then you'd get a dos prompt on the c drive, where you would enter "format c:".

It sounds like you found an old web description as few of us have floppy drives anymore. As mentioned earlier, all you have to do is open the CD drive, stick the XP install CD in and then reboot.

On startup you will be asked if you want to run the CD (you will be given about 30 seconds before the machine boots from the HD so pay attention) so click on Yes (or whatever).

You will next need to delete any and all partitions currently on the HD and then create new partitions. IF the machine is a laptop, I usually create two. The C:\ partition will be between 10 to 20 GB (depending upon what and how many apps the client uses [most people only need 10 GB]). Then create the D:\ and let it have whatever remains on the drive. D:\ will have all files that you create on it (this procedure makes things very easy to back files up).

Once the partitions are created format the C:\ partition and install XP. Once thats done, install all drivers and then the firewall. Once the firewall is installed you can then hook the machine back up to the internet and install whatever other apps you want.

Depending on how many apps your installing, figure on about 8 to 10 hours to complete most everything. You'll notice a major difference in the computers speed.

Good luck and let us know.

Last edited:

OhMan

Reaction score
k ill try it and let you know. thanks

OhMan

Reaction score
Alright I did that, but then I received an error saying: No installed hard disks could be detected. It also mentioned that this could have to do with some system programs or something =/. I'm not sure how to get by this... any advie? Thanks for all your help so far guys. And I'll be away till monday so take your time haha

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
OhMan,

Here's the MS description of repartitioning and reformatting. Went over it briefly and it should get you through the process.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348

Not finding the HD? At what step did you receive this message? Is the drive SATA?

I'm going to be out of town for a few days so hopefully someone else will step up and give a hand. If I'm able to get internet access I'll check in. But that can be hit and miss.

Good luck.

UltraLisk

Reaction score
Were you able to boot from the CD? Firefox is sucking the big one right now so I can not really search the page...

But you MIGHT have to change the settings in the BIOS for your boot configuration to read the CD-Rom before the HDD... ONCE you do that, you can boot the from cd-rom (win xp disk), then it will go thru all this bs, then simple delete your partition (think its d) then remake the partition and do a full format on it.

Very simple shit after you do the cmos settings and format the HDD>

ALSO, it is VERY important you do NOT install Norton or Mcafee. They both can/will slow down your computer and give you lost of hardships.

Get AVG free for a anti-virus
Get ad-aware and spybot S&D (both free for spyware/adware problems.
As for firewall, you can use windows firewall if you are behind a router. Otherwise, maybe zonealarm free edition.

penisface

Reaction score
hey i really dont know whats going on right now.. none of this stuff is working

OhMan

Reaction score
Het guys.. I'm not really sure whats going on right now, .. none of this is working

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Het guys.. I'm not really sure whats going on right now, .. none of this is working

OhMan,

Uggh, please explain. I have no idea what you mean by that.

I will suggest though that if you've never done a repartition and reformat before, it may be best to find a friend that has done this. Watch them like a hawk and keep very good notes on what they do.

You will find that it really isn't that hard. But it can get confusing. Also, don't be afraid to start over from scratch if you need to. I've done that more than a few times.

Good luck.