• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

Formula 1 Season 2005

E

expo

US GP pull-out threat over tyres

Seven teams could pull out of Sunday's US Grand Prix because of concerns about the safety of Michelin's tyres. Michelin has advised the teams not to race unless Ralf Schumacher's tyre failure in practice can be explained or new tyres are allowed to be used. Championship leaders Renault, McLaren, BAR, Williams, Red Bull, Toyota and Sauber all use Michelin tyres.

Ralf to miss GP following crash

Toyota's Ralf Schumacher will miss Sunday's US Grand Prix on medical advice after a puncture in Friday's practice caused him to crash. He was taken to hospital after the crash and was warned by FIA medical delegate Gary Hartstein not to compete, so his place goes to Ricardo Zonta.

Conman

Reaction score
Its been a long time coming. Michelin have always been known for short-term life spans ... even in domestic use. Lucky for us they only make rubbers for the road! :D

E

expo

Grid Positions for 2005 USA Grand Prix

1. 16 TRULLI Toyota M 1'10"625 213.681 Km/h
2. 9 RAIKKONEN McLaren Mercedes M 1'10"694
3. 3 BUTTON BAR Honda M 1'11"277
4. 6 FISICHELLA Renault M 1'11"290
5. 1 M.SCHUMACHER Ferrari B 1'11"369
6. 5 ALONSO Renault M 1'11"380
7. 2 BARRICHELLO Ferrari B 1'11"431
8. 4 SATO BAR Honda M 1'11"497
9. 7 WEBBER Williams BMW M 1'11"527
10. 12 MASSA Sauber Petronas M 1'11"555
11. 10 MONTOYA McLaren Mercedes M 1'11"681
12. 11 VILLENEUVE Sauber Petronas M 1'11"691
13. 38 ZONTA Toyota M 1'11"754
14. 15 KLIEN RedBull Cosworth M 1'12"132
15. 8 HEIDFELD Williams BMW M 1'12"430
16. 14 COULTHARD RedBull Cosworth M 1'12"682
17. 18 MONTEIRO Jordan Toyota B 1'13"462
18. 21 ALBERS Minardi Cosworth B 1'13"632
19. 19 KARTHIKEYAN Jordan Toyota B 1'13"776
20. 20 FRIESACHER Minardi Cosworth B 1'14"494

Jarno Trulli claimed Toyota's first pole position for Sunday's US Grand Prix as he saw off a late challenge from McLaren's Kimi Raikkonen.

E

expo

RESULTS

1. 1 M.SCHUMACHER Ferrari 1h29'43"181
2. 2 BARRICHELLO Ferrari + 0'01"522
3. 18 MONTEIRO Jordan Toyota 1 lap(s)
4. 19 KARTHIKEYAN Jordan Toyota 1 lap(s)
5. 21 ALBERS Minardi Cosworth 2 lap(s)
6. 20 FRIESACHER Minardi Cosworth 2 lap(s)

All teams who race with Michelin tyres withdrew from the race because of fears of tyre safety.

Schumacher wins six-car Indy farce

Take nothing away at all from the efforts of all six driver’s who took part in today’s 73-lap US Grand Prix or Bridgestone who supply the tyres to the six runners, but the race at Indianapolis was simply a farce.

With the Michelin runners all retiring from the race at the end of the formation lap, Michael Schumacher drove a solid race to take the win from Rubens Barrichello, but there were no smiles at the end of the ninth round of the championship, not even from the race winners. The win was Schumacher’s first of the season with his last victory coming at Suzuka last year.

The two Ferrari drivers battled for the lead until the closing stages of the race with Schumacher leading early on but a long first stop as the crew examined the left rear Bridgestone dropped him behind Barrichello. The next set of pitstops saw Schumacher exit the pits at the same time as Barrichello dived into the apex at the first turn.

Two into one does not go and Barrichello widely took to the grass to avoid what would have been a very embarrassing collision. This handed the lead back to Schumacher, one he would keep to the end. The result moves Michael Schumacher up to third in the drivers’ championship with 34 points, while Barrichello moves up to join third in the standings.

One happy man at Indianapolis today was Tiago Monteiro who secured the final podium position in his Jordan Toyota from team-mate Narain Karthikeyan who did not have the pace to match his team-mate on this occasion. Christijan Albers finished in fifth position in his Minardi, the only driver to run a three stop strategy, ahead of team- mate Patrick Friesacher.

Joint statement from the Michelin runners

The following is a join statement from the Michelin runners who did not take part in the US Grand Prix at Indianapolis.

"The Michelin teams deeply regret the position that they have been put in today and would like to apologise to all the spectators, TV viewers, Formula One fans and sponsors for not being able to take part in today's USA Grand Prix.

Following Ralf Schumacher's accident on Friday morning, we were advised by Michelin that none of the tyres that were available to the teams could be used unless the vehicle speed in Turn 13 was reduced. Without this Michelin did not consider the tyre to be safe to be used for the race.

All the teams are confident in Michelin and trust their advice as we know they are competent and responsible and their written instruction to us not to race unless changes to the circuit were made was accepted.

After final data from Michelin became available at 06.30 on Sunday morning it became clear that Michelin were not able to guarantee the safety of the drivers. Numerous discussions and meetings took place to find a safe solution to the problem. Every possibility for the race to go ahead in a safe manner was explored. The only practical solution was for a chicane to be installed prior to Turn 13 and nine of the teams were prepared to run under these conditions even forgoing championship points or by allowing non-Michelin teams to take top positions on the grid.

Unfortunately all proposals were rejected by the FIA.

Safety is always the first concern of any team and the FIA. Regrettably the teams were obliged to follow Michelin's requirements not to race.

We are totally aware that the USA is an important market for Formula One and there is an obligation for Formula One to promote itself in a positive and professional manner. It is sad that we couldn't showcase Formula One in the manner we would have liked today."

Press Release
Michelin Teams

The Chief

Reaction score
how on earth did this happen? I mean, I just don't get how michelin can experience so many problems in a particular track from one year to the next. Was it resurfaced or redesigned or something? or is the weather heavily at play? the US GP used be later in the season, didn't it. And how can they guarantee this won't happen next year, that's the main issue now.

cableguy

Reaction score
yowzers... six cars... only six cars, and in the largest potential market there is... f1 will be fortunate to have a race here next year... the spectators were PISSED... that said, after reading all i could find, the right decision was made... pity the rules on tires completely suck... :(

i heard that the 2008 rules, which must be approved this year, include changes such as a single tire supplier and a return to racing slicks...

the problem, allegedly, has to do with turn 13 (turn 1 for the oval track) being banked... how this puts more stress on tires is completely beyond me... a banked turn is less of a turn than a flat turn, and as it is at the beginning of the straight, i fail to see how speed factors in that much... thumbs down to michelin for being crap, though...

Conman

Reaction score
This has been a problem 18 months in the making. Michelin has been experiencing extreme trye wear since last season. The one tyre rule installed this year is definitely the nail in their coffin. The last four races have been extremely hard for them as circuit idiosynchrasy played havoc on their performance.

Too many times this year, Michelin has seen their cars finish with absolute slicks and several times, blowing out owing to much distress on the rubber and/or car parts. Their particular compound is not suitable for the one tyre rule expecially when drivers are only concerned with going flat out. Thus to preserve their tyres, the drivers have to be hard on the brakes and therein lies the next problem which has surfaced time and again this season with the Michelin runners. This was expecially evident in Nurburgring.

My guess will be that they will have the same problem by the time we get to Spa Francorchamps, which is well known for being a race of attrition after Canada. This car-breaker of a circuit will truly test their rubbers to the max as it is famous for being hard on the brakes and evil on the tyres.

I still insist that a one tyre change should be allowed to increase competitiveness and freedom to use some strategy.

cableguy

Reaction score
is not the purpose of formula 1 to bring together the best machines and the best drivers on a track to compete for victory?? though i could not find a mission statement on the fia homepage, i have always understood this to be true... if i am wrong, this whole post is crap, if i am correct, the folks at fia should take a long hard look at it...

competition begets ingenuity... i am a great fan of competition, and believe it is the cornerstone of every racing body, even before the green flag waves... if the goal is to pit driver skill against driver skill, eliminate the different car manufacturers, and have one type of car driven by all the drivers... this is not the goal of formula one... building a competitive team requires deep pockets.. if some teams cant compete because of finances, they should look for money elsewhere or withdraw... rules shouldnt be made to save money, only to increase safety...

what happened at indy yesterday was the failing of a key manufacturer of a key component... this was most unfortunate, and i hope the michelin teams exact some sort of payback for that failing... i would sincerely hope what happened can be easily determined to be a breech of contract, and thusly, at the teams' discretion, enough to void said contract and release the teams to pursue bridgestone tires if they choose... a single tire rule could fix this problem, or it could lead to a complete cancellation of a race if said tire manufacturer couldnt deliver a safe and effective tire... i also believe fia should go back to no tire change limitations... new rubber at each stop if the teams want it... if you want safe, that would go a long way...

a couple years back the cart series cancelled a race (i believe at texas) because the cars were so fast, the drivers were having problems staying conscious... cancelling the race was the right call, but that was a huge hit to the series at a time which it was on the decline anyway... it is but a mere shadow of its once proud self, no longer allowed to race in the indy 500... disappointments and cancellations, regardless of the reason (excluding weather), are killers to a racong series.. it is my hope that f1 can continue to race in the USA, but i doubt they will see the indy motor speedway for a long time... not after what happened yesterday...

a point of curiosity... for whatever reason, we Americans dont much care for road racing... since i was but a little boy, i wondered what those f1 cars, supposedly the best racing cars on the planet, could do on an oval circuit... in my perfect world, the USgp would be on an oval track, and i am willing to bet that would instantly double or better the US audience, both in attendance and on tv... just once, so we can see what those cars can do... it would also be a change of pace for the f1 drivers... id like to see it once, with an option to renew... and i dont even care what track is chosen, though indy would be fun to watch...

michelin and the fia hurt f1 racing in the USA this weekend... it remains to be seen how bad... i hope this fence can be mended, but some serious housekeeping NEEDS to happen at fia...

if f1 is truly a contest of the best drivers and machines, the ONLY regulations that are needed are directly related to driver, crew, and spectator safety... let these manufacturers show what they are capable of... perhaps a US constructor might just come back... but first, they need a reason... wake up, fia, and either do what it is we think you do, or publicly announce that you are nothing but a cowardly bunch of bureaucrats that want an even playing field more than true greatness in auto racing in our time...

E

expo

FIA SUMMONS MICHELIN TEAMS

The FIA has summoned the seven Michelin teams to a hearing of the World Motor Sport Council next Wednesday (June 29). The meeting is being held “further to events at the 2005 United States Grand Prix”, according to an FIA statement. It is anticipated that possible penalties for the teams who boycotted the Indianapolis race will be discussed at the hearing.

The FIA has already intimated that Michelin could be facing punishment for failing to provide a useable back-up tyre in advance.

Conman

Reaction score
This is really becoming a farce within a farce ... it was FIA that didn't want to change the circuit to include one tiny chicane that would have solved all the problems. Michael Schumacher, upon walking the circuit (after learning about the Michelin runners' problems on Friday) motioned to put in a chicane at the corner in question. Had that been approved, all the runners would have had to slow down instead of taking corner 13 flat out and compromising their tyres, Bridgestone or Michelin. The French tyre maker concurred with Schumi and upon recieving nods from the other teams (ironically, Ferrari didn't agree), put the recommendation through only to have FIA blow it back in their faces.

Now the frogs want to make a bigger farce of a situation they failed to manage in the first place. This is getting out of control. All the motorsport bodies should boycott and neglect the FIA and start up their own governing authority. For too many years now, FIA have been shit. Time for a shift in power.

Last edited:
E

expo

Teams hit with disrepute charge

The seven teams that pulled out of the US Grand Prix because of tyre safety concerns have been charged with bringing the sport into disrepute.

Renault, McLaren, Williams, Toyota, Red Bull, Sauber and BAR have all been summoned to appear at an FIA hearing in Paris on 29 June. In an identical letter sent to all teams, motorsport's governing body has charged them on several counts. These range from not having the right equipment to damaging F1's image.

In the letter, the FIA's sporting secretary general Pierre de Coninck told the team owners they had:

- "Failed to ensure you had a supply of suitable tyres";
- "Wrongly refused to allow your cars to start the race";
- "Wrongly refused to allow your cars to race subject to a speed restriction in
one corner which was safe for such tyres as you had available".

It went on to detail a more general accusation that the teams "combined with other teams to make a demonstration damaging to the image of Formula One by pulling into the pits before the start of the race".

The teams will face a further charge of contravening F1 protocol by not informing stewards of their intention not to race.

I think that this is all the fault of the FIA. These seven teams should tell them that if they are given any punishment then they will start there own racing series independent of the FIA.

Conman

Reaction score
BMW realigns its Formula One involvement
Acquire a majority shareholding in Sauber

BMW to take over the running of Sauber in '06 BMW is striking out on a new path in Formula One. After acquiring a majority shareholding in the Swiss Sauber team, a BMW managed team will be contesting the Formula One World Championship as early as 2006.

This was decided by the BMW Board of Management on Tuesday. It means that, for the first time in company history, BMW will be competing independently in Formula One.

In parallel with that, based on the Board’s decision, the new structure with managerial and key positions, including the driver line-up, and the name of the new team will be worked out by the takeover date of 1st January 2006. Development of resources are being driven forward with urgency and immediate effect.

The team will present itself to the public at the beginning of 2006. The factory in Hinwil will continue to be operated as a legally independent Swiss company linked to BMW Motorsport.

The expansion of BMW’s Formula One involvement will not impinge on other BMW motor sport projects. In future, BMW will continue its commitment to touring car racing – both in the new World Touring Car Championship (FIA WTCC) and in leading individual events such as 24- hour races. Formula BMW with its four series in Asia, Britain, Germany and North America will also continue. This year it will feature a world final for the first time.

E

expo

F1 NEWS

Michelin offers refund to US fans

Michelin has offered to refund the 120,000 spectators who bought tickets for the farcical US Grand Prix. The tyre company also offered to buy 20,000 tickets for the 2006 US Grand Prix to be given to this year's fans. A company statement read: "Michelin deeply regrets that the public was deprived of an exciting race and therefore wishes to be the first, among the different groups involved in the race, to make a strong gesture towards the spectators".

Guilty F1 teams await US GP fate

Motorsport's governing body the FIA has deferred judgment on the seven teams involved in the US Grand Prix fiasco. Renault, McLaren, Toyota, Williams, Red Bull, Sauber and BAR were found guilty on two of the five charges they faced at a hearing in Paris on Wednesday. The teams were found guilty of failing to ensure they had suitable tyres and wrongfully refusing to start the race. Penalties will follow on 14 September, giving the teams and tyre company Michelin time to repair F1's image.

E

expo

FRENCH GRAND PRIX, MAGNY-COURS, 3 JULY 2005

Creation date: 1991

First F1 Grand Prix: 7 July 1991

Grand Prix held: 14

Spectactor capacity: around 120000

Track length: 4.411 km

Number of laps: 70 (308.586 Km)

Number of corners: 11 (left:4) (right:7)

Top speed: 320 Km/h

Downforce setup: medium

Best lap: M. Schumacher - 1'15''377 (2004, Ferrari)

Record Pole: F. Alonso - 1'13''698 (2004, Renault)

2004 Pole: F. Alonso - 1'13''698 (Renault)

2004 Podium
1. M. Schumacher
2. F. Alonso
3. R. Barrichello

Situated in central France, Magny-Cours is the smoothest of all the circuits, boasting top-class pit facilities. It is full of slow turns, and hairpins, but many fans find little to get excited about, as it holds very little in the way of challenge.

The first Grand Prix held here was in 1991, when Nigel Mansell won for Williams, after a long battle with the Ferrari of Alain Prost. He won again in 92, in a wet/dry race, and in 93, Alain Prost made it three in a row for the Williams team.

Mansell had returned to Formula One briefly, and was there for the 94 race. Although he qualified on the front row of the grid, he failed to complete the race, and Michael Schumacher raced to victory, as he did again in 95. He wasn't lucky a third time, as his Ferrari blew up on the parade lap in 96, and Damon Hill took the win.

In 1997, Michael Schumacher raced the Ferrari home once again, with Heinz-Harald Frentzen coming in second. The following year saw the first Ferrari one-two victory in eight years as Michael Schumacher won again, followed home by teammate Eddie Irvine.

1999 saw Jordan driver, Heinz-Harald Frentzen take the victory in one of the best races at the French circuit. In constantly changing weather conditions, the German drove to victory, still unaware that he was actually driving with a broken kneecap due to an incident in the Canadian Grand Prix two weeks earlier.

McLaren driver David Coulthard got the best of the track and the other 21 competitors in 2000, the Scot taking victory ahead of teammate Mika Hakkinen and Ferrari driver, Rubens Barrichello. Michael Schumacher won for Ferrari in both 2001 and wrapped up his 5th world title with another win in 2002, the eleventh event on the calendar.

Williams dominated the 2003 edition of the race. Ralf Schumacher won the event, followed by his team-mate Juan Pablo Montoya. Michael Schumacher finished the race in third spot. Although the Ferrari driver made a relatively poor start, allowing Raikkonen to move ahead of him, he passed the Finn during the third - and final - pit stop of the afternoon.

Michael Schumacher was back to his winning ways in 2004 taking his seventh French Grand Prix triumph with Fernando Alonso finishing second in the Renault ahead of Rubens Barrichello who made a superb last lap pass on the red-faced Jarno Trulli in the second Renault.

E

expo

French Grand Prix qualifying:

1 Fernando Alonso Renault 1min 14.412secs
2 Jarno Trulli Toyota 1:14.521
3 Michael Schumacher Ferrari 1:14.572
4 Takuma Sato BAR 1:14.655
5 Rubens Barrichello Ferrari 1:14.832
6 Giancarlo Fisichella Renault 1:14.887
7 Jenson Button BAR 1:15.051
8 Juan Montoya McLaren 1:15.406
9 Felipe Massa Sauber 1:15.566
10 Jacques Villeneuve Sauber 1:15.699
11 Ralf Schumacher Toyota 1:15.771
12 Mark Webber Williams 1:15.885
13 Kimi Raikkonen McLaren 1:14.559*
14 Nick Heidfeld Williams 1:16.207
15 David Coulthard Red Bull 1:16.434
16 Christian Klien Red Bull 1:16.547
17 Narain Karthikeyan Jordan 1:17.857
18 Patrick Freisacher Minardi 1:17.960
19 Tiago Monteiro Jordan 1:18.047
20 Christijan Albers Minardi 1:18.335

* Raikkonen loses 10 places on the starting grid after qualifying third

Championship leader Fernando Alonso put himself in pole position to improve his Formula One stranglehold by qualifying fastest for the French Grand Prix. The Spaniard, who leads the driver's race by 22 points, gave Renault cause to celebrate on their home track with a time of one minute 14.442 seconds. Toyota's Jarno Trulli was second, with Kimi Raikkonen third, although the Finn will drop back 10 places on the grid.

E

expo

Results from the 2005 French Grand Prix - sorry they are late

1. 18 5 ALONSO Renault M
2. 9 RAIKKONEN McLaren Mercedes M
3. 1 M.SCHUMACHER Ferrari B
4. 3 BUTTON BAR Honda M
5. 16 TRULLI Toyota M
6. 6 FISICHELLA Renault M
7. 17 R.SCHUMACHER Toyota M
8. 11 VILLENEUVE Sauber Petronas M
9. 2 BARRICHELLO Ferrari B
10. 14 COULTHARD RedBull Cosworth M
11. 4 SATO BAR Honda M
12. 7 WEBBER Williams BMW M
13. 18 MONTEIRO Jordan Toyota B
14. 8 HEIDFELD Williams BMW M
15. 19 KARTHIKEYAN Jordan Toyota B
16. 10 MONTOYA McLaren Mercedes M DNF
17. 21 ALBERS Minardi Cosworth B DNF
18. 20 FRIESACHER Minardi Cosworth B DNF
19. 12 MASSA Sauber Petronas M DNF
20. 15 KLIEN RedBull Cosworth M DNF

E

expo

BRITISH GRAND PRIX, SILVERSTONE, 10 JULY 2005

Creation date: 1950

First F1 Grand Prix: 13 May 1950

Grand Prix held: 38

Spectactor capacity: around 90000

Track length: 5.141 km

Number of laps: 60 (308.355 Km)

Number of corners: 14 (left:6) (right:8)

Top speed: 335 Km/h

Downforce setup: medium

Best lap: M. Schumacher - 1'18''739 (2004, Ferrari)

Record Pole: K. Raikkonen - 1'18''233 (2004, McLaren)

2004 Pole: K. Raikkonen - 1'18''233 (McLaren)

2004 Podium
1. M. Schumacher
2. K. Raikkonen
3. R. Barrichello

The first British Grand Prix was held here in 1948, and it was only meant to be a one off, as the track was originally an airfield. Giuseppe Farina won the first World Championship race in 1950 for Alfa Romeo.

In 1973, Jody Scheckter spun at Woodcote, the right hander that leads into pit straight, triggering a multiple pile up. The track had its first alteration in 25 years due to this, and they added a chicane at Woodcote for the 1975 race. This was also the track that saw Clay Regazzoni give Williams their first win in 1979.

In 1987, a complex at Woodcote replaced the chicane, and that year Nigel Mansell defeated his teammate, Nelson Piquet in one of the tracks best races. The track was rebuilt in 1991, followed by another major rebuild in 1994.

The British fans were overjoyed with Damon Hill's win in 94, with Johnny Herbert winning for Benetton in 95. Williams's driver, Jacques Villeneuve took home victory in both 96, and 97 while Michael Schumacher won in controversial circumstances in 98 when he took victory for the Ferrari team in pit lane.

1999 saw the German suffer a first lap accident that saw him sidelined until the second last race of the season with a broken leg. The accident that many fans say lost him the 1999 drivers crown. Back in action and raring to go, the German faced the circuit undaunted in 2000, determined not to let memories of his accident the year before deter him from the task at hand. He didn't win the event, McLaren driver David Coulthard took that honour ahead of teammate Mika Hakkinen, however Schumacher still stood on the podium albeit on the third step. Amid threats of the race being stricken from the F1 calendar due to constant traffic chaos, the 2001 event was won by Mika Hakkinen but Michael Schumacher was on the top step of the rostrum once again in 2002.

Ferrari's Rubens Barrichello clinched victory in the 2003 British Grand Prix, in a race which had been plunged into chaos by a kilt-wearing protestor who ran onto the track in the face of cars speeding past at 200 km/h. Colombian Juan Pablo Montoya, in a Williams was second, 5.4 secs behind, with Finn Kimi Raikkonen, in a McLaren, third.

Kimi Raikkonen stormed to Pole Position ahead of Rubens Barrichello and Jenson Button, but the 2004 British Grand Prix fell once again to Michael Schumacher and the Ferrari team. Raikkonen, revelling with the handing of the MP4-19B introduced two-weeks before, pushed hard for McLaren Mercedes, crossing the line just over two seconds behind Schumacher with Barrichello just a second further adrift.

Last edited:
E

expo

British Grand Prix qualifying:

1. 5 ALONSO Renault M 1'19"905
2. 3 BUTTON BAR Honda M 1'20"207
3. 10 MONTOYA McLaren Mercedes M 1'20"382
4. 16 TRULLI Toyota M 1'20"459
5. 2 BARRICHELLO Ferrari B 1'20"906
6. 6 FISICHELLA Renault M 1'21"010
7. 4 SATO BAR Honda M 1'21"114
8. 17 R.SCHUMACHER Toyota M 1'21"191
9. 1 M.SCHUMACHER Ferrari B 1'21"275
10. 11 VILLENEUVE Sauber Petronas M 1'21"352
11. 7 WEBBER Williams BMW M 1'21"997
12. 9 RAIKKONEN McLaren Mercedes M 1'19"932 *
13. 14 COULTHARD RedBull Cosworth M 1'22"108
14. 8 HEIDFELD Williams BMW M 1'22"117
15. 15 KLIEN RedBull Cosworth M 1'22"207
16. 12 MASSA Sauber Petronas M 1'22"495
17. 19 KARTHIKEYAN Jordan Toyota B 1'23"583
18. 21 ALBERS Minardi Cosworth B 1'24"576
19. 20 FRIESACHER Minardi Cosworth B 1'25"566

* Raikkonen loses 10 places on the starting grid after qualifying third

It was close, but Championship leader Fernando Alonso claimed Pole Position for the British Grand Prix on merit as he put in a blistering lap in his Renault to top the timesheets less than three- hundredths of a second ahead of his nearest rival. As ever, Alonso’s rival was non-other than Kimi Raikkonen who set the second fastest time of the session, but starts back in 12th due to his engine change penalty from this morning.

E

expo

Results from the 2005 British Grand Prix

1. 10 MONTOYA McLaren Mercedes M 1h24'29"588
2. 5 ALONSO Renault M + 0'02"739
3. 9 RAIKKONEN McLaren Mercedes M + 0'14"436
4. 6 FISICHELLA Renault M + 0'17"914
5. 3 BUTTON BAR Honda M + 0'40"264
6. 1 M.SCHUMACHER Ferrari B + 1'15"322
7. 2 BARRICHELLO Ferrari B + 1'16"567
8. 17 R.SCHUMACHER Toyota M + 1'19"212
9. 16 TRULLI Toyota M + 1'20"851
10. 12 MASSA Sauber Petronas M 1 lap(s)
11. 7 WEBBER Williams BMW M 1 lap(s)
12. 8 HEIDFELD Williams BMW M 1 lap(s)
13. 14 COULTHARD RedBull Cosworth M 1 lap(s)
14. 11 VILLENEUVE Sauber Petronas M 1 lap(s)
15. 15 KLIEN RedBull Cosworth M 1 lap(s)
16. 4 SATO BAR Honda M 2 lap(s)
17. 18 MONTEIRO Jordan Toyota B 2 lap(s)
18. 21 ALBERS Minardi Cosworth B 3 lap(s)
19. 20 FRIESACHER Minardi Cosworth B 4 lap(s)
20. 19 KARTHIKEYAN Jordan Toyota B DNF

The battle for the victory in the British Grand Prix took a decisive step towards its conclusion at the very start of the 60-lap race as Juan Pablo Montoya made a fantastic start from third position on the grid to run side by side with pole sitter Fernando Alonso towards the Maggotts and Beckets turns where he nosed into the lead.

It was close throughout but in the end it was Montoya who took the race win, his first since Brazil last year, but just less than three seconds from Fernando Alonso who extends his championship lead over third placed Kimi Raikkonen by another two points to 26.

Alonso drove a good race but as he and many had feared, the McLaren Mercedes package was just a little too strong around the high speed Silverstone circuit.

Raikkonen drove perhaps the strongest race of anyone from 12th position on the grid thanks to his engine change penalty. The early laps saw the Finn slice his way up to eighth position only to find himself stuck behind Michael Schumacher who in turn was stuck behind Jarno Trulli who was again lapping off the pace in race conditions.

The first round of stops saw Raikkonen leapfrog both Schumacher and Trulli and he set about reducing the half-minute gap to the leaders. With aggressive driving and pure pace, Raikkonen emerged from the second round of pitstop in third position, closing the gap the leading duo to less than 15 seconds by the chequered flag. Perhaps as a mark of defiance, Raikkonen’s final lap of the race showed his raw speed as he lapped ways faster than anyone else had managed all race long.

Giancarlo Fisichella has a strong race until the second and final pit stop when he stalled the Renault for the second successive race losing the final podium position to Raikkonen. Fisichella chased Raikkonen hard but the damage had been done.

Jenson Button started the race from the front row in his BAR Honda, dropping to third from the outset and despite his best efforts, could not keep pace with the front runners. The first round of pitstops saw him lose out to Fisichella and in the second round of stops, he lost out to Raikkonen. He crossed the line over 20 seconds adrift of the second Renault.

Silverstone was not kind to the Ferrari team with Michael Schumacher finishing a whopping 75 seconds behind the race leader while Rubens Barrichello’s race was ruined by running a three stop strategy that saw him stuck behind his team-leader on track losing time when he could perhaps have run a great deal faster in clear air. Still, Ferrari picks up points with sixth and seventh positions.

Over at Toyota, Ralf Schumacher picked up the final point after a steady drive while Jarno Trulli continued his trend of showing great qualifying pace, but no pace at all in race conditions. As in Magny Cours, Trulli lapped between one and two seconds off the pace with the field bunched up behind him until the first round of stops. From that point onwards he slid backwards before banging in his fastest laps of the race in the closing stages. It is hard to understand that if he and the car has the pace to lap fast in qualifying and in the final laps of the race, why he does not do it for the majority of the race?

Felipe Massa finished in tenth position for Sauber Petronas ahead of Mark Webber and Nick Heidfeld who had another tough race for BMW Williams. David Coulthard and Jacques Villeneuve enjoyed a great scrap for 13th position with Coulthard eventually getting the position in his Red Bull while his team-mate Christian Klien chased Villeneuve valiantly across the line to take 15th.

Takuma Sato was classified 16th two laps down as the Japanese driver stalled his car as he approached the grid. We then had a comedy of errors as Race Director Charlie Whiting started the Grand Prix only to send out the Safety Car seconds later at the same time as Sato’s BAR was cleared from the grid.

Tiago Monteiro finished his 11th straight race for Jordan Toyota while his team-mate Narain Karthikeyan was an early retirement and in fact the only retirement in the field. At the back, Christijan Albers and Patrick Freisacher finished three and four laps down respectively for Minardi.

Formula One has a chance to regroup and to test before reconvening at Hockenheim in two weeks time for the German Grand Prix. Alonso will sleep pretty well tonight with his 26 points lead.