• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

Buying a Dell?

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Duke E. Pyle said:

Duke,

I haven't seen the 30" Dell but I've seen a lot of their 17" and 19" monitors, and their OK (I might buy one). But if I had the money, I'd buy the 30" Apple monitor.

http://www.apple.com/displays/

I've seen a couple of these and they blow everything else I've seen away. Nothing even comes close. And they're even PC compatable now.

Duke E. Pyle

Reaction score
Yeah thinking about getting an lcd and from all blogs and sites i've seen, the new dell monitors are always in the top 2 and 3 from 17" and up. I read somewhere that lcd's aren't as good as hq crt's for gaming, have you heard this before? But yeah those Apple's are really nice, hell they even look bad ass when they're not even on! The best looking screen i've seen so far was on a 17" HP, shit you could even see the scales on those microsoft fish, but i gotta have a 19" though. Does anyone know if games come through fullscreen on a widescreen monitor? I wondered how that worked and if so does it push your vid card harder?

OCC-402

Reaction score
dell lcds do kick a fair amount of ass, I've been very happy with my 17" I got from em and I would trust em' a little bit more than your avarage aftermarket

but as far as their comps go, seriously building your own is not hard at all. Just hop on by www.newegg.com for yah parts and get one for a few hundred less in parts

KABOOM

I'm just here for the tits
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I got a Dell LCD for Christmas, and now, I can't stand going onto a computer with a CRT monitor. The Dell LCDs are second only to Apple's but it is a close second. If you can get one, get it.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Duke E. Pyle said:
I read somewhere that lcd's aren't as good as hq crt's for gaming, have you heard this before?

Duke,

I've heard the same thing but it was a while ago so things may have changed. I'm not sure but I think that would have to do with the refresh rate of the monitor. LCD's used to have pretty high rates a while ago (80 fps or >) but that has apparently changed (at least with the Apple, and probably the Dell). I think they're now down to about 60 fps.

But yeah those Apple's are really nice, hell they even look bad ass when they're not even on!

I was at a guys house a year or so ago that had two of those 30" Apple monitors and was just blown away by them. If they weren't so costly I'd definitely pick one up.

Does anyone know if games come through fullscreen on a widescreen monitor? I wondered how that worked and if so does it push your vid card harder?

I don't think a 19" is generally considered a widescreen but all of the games I've played will do fullscreen on a 19" with no problem. The primary limiting factor with gaming today seems to be the video card. If your going to play the newest games, you've got to be prepared to buy a new video card every year or two. It seems every new game pushes the video card harder and harder (just look at what Farcry and Doom require nowadays).

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
I like Samsung for screens. I have a Samsung 19" LCD for my desktop (previously had a 17" LCD) and I also have a Samsung DLP HDTV and they are both great. I don't know if they are the "best" or not, but I'm very satisfied with them, so I will likely stay with Samsung until I have a bad experience (if ever)

In reference to the widescreen thing, its not based on the size, its based on proportions. Like you have the standard 4:3 and then you have 16:9, which is considered wide screen. So whether its 15" or 90", its the proportion that defines it

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Cman,

Gonna have to disagree with you here. Its been quite a while (prebably at least 10 years) since I've looked into the issue, but Samsung used to have a terrible environmental record. They used to dump their hazardous waste directly into a river in Korea which caused significant health problems for people downstream. Ever since learning that, I've never recommended their products.

I don't know if they're still doing that (hopefully not) but until I learn differently, I wouldn't support the company.

As far as companies that I would support (especially as far as monitors are concerned) would have to be NEC, Sony and Viewsonic. Their CRT's have always been amongst the best but I'm not sure about their LCD's.

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
Well I have to say that I'm not up to date on the environmental record of every major corp in the world, but I was talking about the quality of their products, not their business practices. By the way, you don't have to go all the way to Korea to find bad envrionmental records, US companies are the worst and don't even want to support initiatives to clean up (Kyoto for example, not saying kyoto is perfect, but its a start)

My TV is a little over a year old now, so as tech goes there is already something better, but at the time, I compared different ones and it was the one that I thought was best.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Cman said:
Well I have to say that I'm not up to date on the environmental record of every major corp in the world, but I was talking about the quality of their products, not their business practices.

Cman,

I pretty much figured you were talking about their quality (which is pretty good) but , for quite a while now, I've tried to factor in a company's environmental record with any purchase. Certainly doesn't work all the time, but, at least for me, it can make a difference.

By the way, you don't have to go all the way to Korea to find bad envrionmental records, US companies are the worst and don't even want to support initiatives to clean up (Kyoto for example, not saying kyoto is perfect, but its a start).

I can't argue with that much (especially Kyoto) but I'm sure US companies aren't as bad as they used to be. 20+ years ago I used to work for a water analysis lab and had to get samples from the field. Boy, I could really tell you some horror stories. From what I hear and see on the news, China is probably the worst nowadays.

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
You're right, it probably is better. A whole whopping 1% better LOL. Even things like Kyoto, thats are considered to be quite drastic, only mandate an improvement of 10 or 20%. Its going to be a LOOONNNGGG time yet before anything is remotely enviro-friendly, so no point in worrying about it, if you are not in the position to change it.

Everyone likes to use China as a scapegoat just because they're Communist. Same as the Evil Soviet Bastards back in the day. Not saying that it isn't true, China is pretty bad for human rights and stuff, but I think its a bit overused and cliche to blame them for everything.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Cman said:
You're right, it probably is better. A whole whopping 1% better LOL.

I hate to say it, but your probably right. We don't have rivers spontaneously lighting on fire nowadays (at least that I'm aware of) but, at the microscopic level, potable water still has a few too many problems that people don't want us to know about. Air quality? Well, we've discussed that pretty much to death in other threads.

Even things like Kyoto, thats are considered to be quite drastic, only mandate an improvement of 10 or 20%. Its going to be a LOOONNNGGG time yet before anything is remotely enviro-friendly, so no point in worrying about it, if you are not in the position to change it.

Jeez, you're even more pessimistic than I. But theres no doubt about it, real environmental change is only being paid lip service.

Everyone likes to use China as a scapegoat just because they're Communist. Same as the Evil Soviet Bastards back in the day. Not saying that it isn't true, China is pretty bad for human rights and stuff, but I think its a bit overused and cliche to blame them for everything.

Here I'll have to disagree. China basically has no environmental regulations. Companies (the government???) there can do basically whatever they want, to whomever they want, with little or no interference. There are news articles aplenty on their problems along this line. But do they care? Not even a little. They could kill off 10,000 people daily (and sometimes do) and it wouldn't matter a bit to them. They have many more times people born each day.

But I think the main problem with China is that their workers make next to nothing. The last article I read said that the average worker makes less than a dollar a day. Awfully hard to compete with that. No wonder so many companies are moving over there.

blazin

Lost Member
Reaction score
Actually any complaints you have with China would be just as bad or worse in East India. The chinese are doing a lot to improve their nation, their new hydro electric dam for example, its gonna save the consumption of fossil fuels for electricity. Human Rights are no where as bad as they used to be, while the government still dictates a lot, its not not nearly bad as their record in the past.

The comment that they could kill off thousands a day and more will be born isn't all that true, since unlike East India the Chinese government understands overpopulation and has for over a decade been working on national programs to limit the children per family...with exceptions for certian conditions.

And their workers being paid next to nothing isn't exactly accurate either, it really depends on the labor they are doing. Some of them are pretty well off, i've got family living in China and they are better off there than i am in Canada...go figure. With low wages you also have to realize something, it means the price of goods is lower too. You can't charge someone more than they have, the Chinese don't tend to live off loans and credit cards. The vast majority of their staple necessities cost far less for them to get than it does for us, for $10 CAD you can goto an all you can eat seafood buffet in China....and not in some hole in the wall. Course that depends on what part of China, but my point is that the whole Chinese cliche is wearing off.

And now on a note more on topic... LCD's are not bad for gaming now adays. Their refresh rates used to be pretty bad, and they used to have to be used at their native resolutions and any change would result in a drastic decrease the quality. However, there are LCD's meant for gaming nowadays, and also the refresh rates are better, and the vast majority don't have a native resolution they have to stick to. Gone are the days of the lcd's that died at the poke of a finger

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
yeah, blazin said what i was trying to say only better lol

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
blazin said:
Actually any complaints you have with China would be just as bad or worse in East India.

blazin,

I do agree with that. Just didn't want to get way, way, way off topic (no such luck I guess).

The chinese are doing a lot to improve their nation, their new hydro electric dam for example, its gonna save the consumption of fossil fuels for electricity.

The Three Gorges dam was one of the things I was thinking about when I said that China could kill off thousands without a worry. Because of their construction methods (still using human labor vs. mechanization) they're losing a lot of people daily on that project. Now, I realize that the Chinese are smart for using human labor (I'd do the same if I were them) but I'd probably do more about worker safety.

Human Rights are no where as bad as they used to be, while the government still dictates a lot, its not not nearly bad as their record in the past.

I'll have to take your word for it as I haven't read anything on the subject in a while.

The comment that they could kill off thousands a day and more will be born isn't all that true, since unlike East India the Chinese government understands overpopulation and has for over a decade been working on national programs to limit the children per family...with exceptions for certian conditions.

I'll have to somewhat disagree here. The Chinese government does understand overpopulation problems better than anyone, no doubt. Last I checked their population was roughly 2 billion (vs. about 270 million for the US)? They've had the "one child only" rule for a long time now which has led to an unexpected consequence in the male/female birth ratio (females are aborted while male children are kept). Is that right? I don't know. I guess you do what you have to do. But its just an indicator that the Chinese government will do what they have to do to control population.

And their workers being paid next to nothing isn't exactly accurate either, it really depends on the labor they are doing. Some of them are pretty well off, i've got family living in China and they are better off there than i am in Canada...go figure.

I do realize that. An engineer in China is going to make a pretty good living (I happen to know one) while a peasant carrying sand bags at the dam is probably making a dollar per day or so. Basic economics.

but my point is that the whole Chinese cliche is wearing off.

I do agree that China is better than it used to be, but it still has quite a way to go (especially from an environmental perspective).

And now on a note more on topic... LCD's are not bad for gaming now adays. Their refresh rates used to be pretty bad, and they used to have to be used at their native resolutions and any change would result in a drastic decrease the quality. However, there are LCD's meant for gaming nowadays, and also the refresh rates are better, and the vast majority don't have a native resolution they have to stick to.

That is good to hear. I've owned some old laptops (with LCD's) that I tried gaming on and they were lousy for gaming. Finally just quit even trying.

Gone are the days of the lcd's that died at the poke of a finger

LOL!! I've actually done that with an old Compaq laptop. Luckily, after sending it in, they actually replaced it.

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
mindido said:
Gone are the days of the lcd's that died at the poke of a finger

LOL!! I've actually done that with an old Compaq laptop. Luckily, after sending it in, they actually replaced it.

That's new to me. You mean some LCD's can't take a poke with a finger? Or did I miss some private joke thingy.......

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Preferred User said:
That's new to me. You mean some LCD's can't take a poke with a finger? Or did I miss some private joke thingy.......

Preferred,

Nope, no private joke that I know of. I used to have an old 486 Compaq laptop with an LCD which was very soft and, one day while showing a friend something on the screen, I poked it a bit too hard (not all that hard, something distracted me) and the darn thing freaked. I had a dead spot in the screen initially which got worse over time. Luckily, Compaq replaced it.

blazin

Lost Member
Reaction score
mindido said:
blazin,

I'll have to somewhat disagree here. The Chinese government does understand overpopulation problems better than anyone, no doubt. Last I checked their population was roughly 2 billion (vs. about 270 million for the US)? They've had the "one child only" rule for a long time now which has led to an unexpected consequence in the male/female birth ratio (females are aborted while male children are kept). Is that right? I don't know. I guess you do what you have to do. But its just an indicator that the Chinese government will do what they have to do to control population.

From what experience i've had with family and friends that are over there, i haven't seen female abortions in favor of males. only place it would really actuallly matter would be rural areas where you need the kids to work on the farms, but that's one of the exceptions that the chinese government understands and you are allowed to have multiple kids to help out on the farm since hiring labor is rarely and option if everyone around you has their own lil farm to work on too.

mindido said:
I do realize that. An engineer in China is going to make a pretty good living (I happen to know one) while a peasant carrying sand bags at the dam is probably making a dollar per day or so. Basic economics.

That's true, but basic economics also says what i said before. you can't charge more than what people have, so prices of goods are lower there than they are here in north america.

mindido said:
I do agree that China is better than it used to be, but it still has quite a way to go (especially from an environmental perspective).

most nations need improvement North American and European nations as well, atleast they are taking steps.

Preferred User said:

Early generation LCD's were like that, the technology was new and i guess designers never thought people would poke their moniters. But that was from a few years ago now, you shouldn't run into that with newer LCD's...unless you poke REALLY hard.

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
blazin said:
you shouldn't run into that with newer LCD's...unless you poke REALLY hard.

I can't believe this group is so mature that no one has made the obvious joke about what just what is poking at all these monitors as we look at pixelated tits......