• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

vonage?

Duke E. Pyle

Reaction score
anyone here use vonage phone service? I'm getting it soon so i wanted to know what your thoughts about it are. My brother just got it and he averaged 80 bucks a month down to 25 now and he seems to really love it except for no answering machine. You can even carry the phone around like a cell if you live in a city with wifi hotspots which is cool. You can usually keep your same number too. It'll cut my bill straight down the middle so i guess im for it. http://www.vonage.com/

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
Duke E. Pyle said:
My brother...seems to really love it except for no answering machine.

I've been on it for 2 years Duke. Mine is hoooked up to my house. It's not a portable. Sound is good, price is even better.

What's with the "no answering machine"? My dial tone beeps when there's a message and I can either pick it up by dialing a number or go to the web site and pick it up. You can also set it so that messages are emailed to you automatically.

If you want to put your vonage router behind your existing router PM me and I'll give you the ports you need to forward through your router.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Duke,

The only negative thing I've heard about Vonage is pretty serious, but they are (or were) supposedly taking care of it. Apparently, there are problems contacting 911 in case of an emergency. 911 operators can't see where you are when you dial in from a vonage (or probably other broadband) account. That can be VERY important in many situations. That would be something I'd ask the sales people about.

Other than that I've heard nothing negative.

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
I don't understand why anyone would have a home landline phone anymore, whether its regular or internet based. It makes no sense to me.

I don't have a landline, I just have a cell phone. I think thats preferable because I can take it with me everywhere and not just at home.

I think we will eventually see a day when all phone service is cellular (as soon as the old people die lol)

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Jeez CMan,

Have a little heart! I don't have a cell phone any longer since I don't do as much traveling as I used to. I've had two (Sprint and US Cellular) and can't say I was that impressed with either (especially Sprint, they were lousy). First off, cells are really expensive, about double the cost of a landline. Second, their contracts really suck. I was locked into a year contract with Sprint and found out shortly after signing it that they were only good along the interstates and within most big cities. Get off the beaten path a little bit (where I spend quite a bit of time) and they were worthless. The DAY that contract was up I cancelled it.

So cells are OK if your in a situation where you need one, but I don't miss mine.

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what plan you have and all that crap, but I was talking about the nature of the technology more than the cost. I don't see any advantage to landline technology. The only way its better is that its cheaper. Also consider things like Palms and Blackberries. You can't do that shit with a landline.

Cell phones will get cheaper over time. Its supply and demand. They are already cheaper than they used to be.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Cman said:
I guess it depends on what plan you have and all that crap, but I was talking about the nature of the technology more than the cost. I don't see any advantage to landline technology. The only way its better is that its cheaper.

I would agree that the tech is the wave of the future and that landline usefulness has probably peaked. But cost is always a consideration in virtually any economic consideration so it must be taken into account.

Cman said:
Also consider things like Palms and Blackberries. You can't do that shit with a landline.

Again, if you need it, its great. It seems our politicians have discovered that already. But if you don't need it.....

Cman said:
Cell phones will get cheaper over time. Its supply and demand. They are already cheaper than they used to be.

I would think that they will get cheaper (the hardware already seems to be doing that) but the plans have a way to go. The last time I checked (about a year ago) the cheapest plans worth consideration were still at least $45 per month (plus tax, etc., etc.). I'd have to a lot of talking on my landline (which I don't) to make it worth my while again.

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
Cman for me it's still about cost....mostly. My cell phone is over 7 cents/minute, my Vonage is about 3 cents/minute. I have to have a cell phone, but the Vonage gives me a backup that's also cheaper. I tend to go nothing but cell on the weekends when it's free, but I watch my minutes and end up making a lot of business calls on Vonage during the week.

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
mindido said:
I would think that they will get cheaper (the hardware already seems to be doing that) but the plans have a way to go. The last time I checked (about a year ago) the cheapest plans worth consideration were still at least $45 per month (plus tax, etc., etc.). I'd have to a lot of talking on my landline (which I don't) to make it worth my while again.
I pay 35 for mine, canadian, tax included. Of course, thats a pretty low plan.

Like I said though, I'm not arguing that they are more expensive, I agree, so we dont' have to argue about it.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
CMan,

My conversion between Canadian $ and US $ isn't up to date but $35 Canadian is probably pretty close to $45 US.

I do think that eventually cellular will be the only way to go but they aren't close (at least for me) yet. I think that when they quit charging for incoming calls (some are starting to do that), get some realistic day/night rates, become more cost effective and actually get the whole country covered; then I'll be a bit more interested again.

Last summer I took a trip out west and was somewhat amazed about how much of the US is still dead (even along the interstates). Vast areas of Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, eastern Washinton, Oregon, Nevada and Utah for example.

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
mindido said:
Vast areas of Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, eastern Washinton, Oregon, Nevada and Utah for example.

Cripes Min they hardly have radio stations in that Wyoming/Idaho/Montana stretch.

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
mindido said:
My conversion between Canadian $ and US $ isn't up to date but $35 Canadian is probably pretty close to $45 US.
LOL I wish. Actually its the other way around.

35 Canadian Dollar = 30.47 US Dollar
Exchange rate: 0.87066

My plan is for 200 mins and free N/W . I don't use my phone all that much and I virtually never make L.D. calls.

mindido said:
I think that when they quit charging for incoming calls (some are starting to do that), get some realistic day/night rates, become more cost effective and actually get the whole country covered
yeah, thats kind of what i meant. i didn't say it would be tomorrow.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Preferred User said:
Cripes Min they hardly have radio stations in that Wyoming/Idaho/Montana stretch.

Preferred,

You are correctamundo about that! All I could pick up was that cowboy twang, she done me wrong crap. Shuddddderrrrr (still makes me winch). But you would think that the interstates would at least be covered by now, but no! Not yet.

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
Just get satellite radio LOL

Speaking of which, thats something I don't believe in. I barely ever listen to the radio at all and I would just play CDs in the car before I ever considered actually paying for fucking radio.

Country music gives me the shivers too, but pay radio does even more.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Cman,

Oops about the conversion. I knew it was one way or the other. But 200 minutes! Man, thats hardly anything. My sprint account was 300 minutes and I constantly overran that (mainly due to incoming calls). My US Cellular plan was 700 minutes, which I rarely overran, but would occasionally.

And I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that gets shivers from "that" music (if it can really be called that). All I have to do is think of it and I get another cringe and shiver (see, it just happened again). :)

tha_man

Reaction score
At least if you're getting a cell phone and want to use it, avoid virgin mobile.. i have it cuz i barely talk on the phones, and its 25cents for the first 10 minutes of a day, 10 cents/minute after that. but to avoid getting your account cancelled, you just have to pay at least $20 each 3rd month (or less if you need it). thats just my two cents ;)