• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

What firewall is better to install?

willmiller

Reaction score
What will be a better one firewall I can download and use for free, that will come with my windows xp and won't slow it down? :(

swede68

Respected Member
Respected Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Will,

As far as firewalls go, software firewalls will never compare to hardware, and the first and most important thing I can recommend is to purchase and install a router and use the built-in firewall security that modern routers come with. That will, in essence make your computer "invisible" to the rest of the internet as all the outside world can see is the router itself, and not your computer. This is much more secure than any Software installed firewall you can buy.

I would also recommend disabling the built in Windows Firewall that comes with XP (once you're behind a router). It typically causes more problems than it blocks.

If you do decide to go with a router, check out Best Buy, CompUSA, Frye's, and I would definitely go with a Linksys. Stay away from D-Link as they are not as reliable and easy to set up. You can pick up a decent (even wireless) Linksys router for around $60 (U.S.)

If you do decide to go with a software firewall, there are any number of companies out there who will tell you that they are the best. I personally wouldn't trust any of them as I do this for a living. Maybe some of our members can give you some better advice. And I'm always up for new ideas and suggestions.

Good luck Will, and let us know how it works out...

CASTOR :::

Here's Johnny
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
i'm using McAfee Personal Firewall Plus
build 7

i like it...
but i hate when reminder "Check New Version" loading ...

:)

p.s.
thread moved to Tech Talk forum

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
I just use the built in Windows Firewall. It may not be the best, but it works and I don't have any viruses.

The advantage of it is that its built into windows, so its not a 3rd party app and it doesn't use up extra resources. You also don't have to worry about conflicts and trouble getting programs to work through it and stuff like you do with Norton

evilrick

celebs zips video man
Reaction score
using zonealarm now ..but have used McAfee +etrust+norton+and some others like zone alarm the best

KABOOM

I'm just here for the tits
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kerio and Zone Alarm are both pretty good. Never had problems with either.

Static2093

Reaction score
I agree with swede68 i would never really trust a software firewall and to stay away from D-Link once again at the call center i worked at we use to be dlink tech support and we had/have some of the dumbest people working there for dlink its horrible dose not say much about me cus was a supervisor over there

dingbatoolpud

Reaction score
Depending on your skill level, you may have different needs.

A 'hardware firewall' like Swede mentions is good for protecting the entire network, but it doesn't give you any feedback if you have connectivity issues.

A 'software firewall' like Kerio or Zone Alarm go on each individual system on the network to protect them from outsiders and possibly eachother.

Of the software firewalls, I've been a fan of Zone Alarm for its simplicity, but Kerio is pretty nice too.

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
I've had endless problems with Zone Alarm. I dont like it. I wish it was more "intelligent" and you didnt have to play with the stupid check marks all day long.

marquis

Reaction score
Windows firewall only does half the job-it prevents incoming but allows outgoing.It's simply not enough on its own if you have any sensitive information stored on the computer.
I've used Zone Alarm for many years and in most independent tests it comes out with top marks.
I understand from reading around,not from personal experience that Black Ice is bad news.

snowcow

Reaction score
I have been using CA AV/Firewall for a couple of years now and haven't had a virus since i started using it. It doesn't eat into the system resources either.

Trabelsi

Reaction score
I highly recommend you to download the free version of Zone Alarm Personal Firewall(if you can buy the Pro version, so much better!). It's simply the best! It's internet monitoring suite has coupled with Kaspersky(the best antivirus utility that is out there right now), and it uses it's detection engine alongside ZoneAlarm's very own robust firewall guard. It's a potent combination and it works too!

Buttlover64

Reaction score
I was using Zone alarm,but since I try Sygate personal firewall;bye bye Zone alarm.

UltraLisk

Reaction score
This is a old thread... but :

Mcafee sucks, Norton sucks even more. Take it from someone who knows.

Decent firewall: Zonealarm, but I stopped using it due to system stabilities problems caused by it. Currently I have been testing others and I am currently using Tiny Desktop Firewall.