• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

I got 4gb ram, but the os only see 3???

blondie32

Reaction score
Hi all, im sorry but i would really love it if anyone could help me out with this problem.

It counts up to 4gb ram in the start up process, but neiter XP or Vista see more then 3gb?

I guess maybe there is something i have to do in bios, but im not a wizzard in there, i only get in there to select boot devices!:)

Please help a desperat norwegian!!!!!:)

blondie32

Reaction score
No, its not that.....

I used to have 2gb, and upgraded with 2 more.

but only one gb is showing.

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
I know older computers and older OS' had a limit for the amount of memory and the amount of hard drive space that it could "see", but I didn't think it was an issue anymore.

Its possible that you will need to change a setting somewhere (in the BIOS or elsewhere), but I'm sorry that I don't know precisely how to fix it.

Are you sure its not a hardware problem? Is it possible that one of your stick of RAM or one of your slots is bad?

blondie32

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply cman, but since it counts up to 4gb when the computer starts up, it should be evidence that its not the hardware, but a software problem.

And the computer is only like a month old, so its not like i try to upgrade a "antique" computer.

I have contacted support where i bought it, but im just not patient enough to wait if anyone out there can help me!:)

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
I know older computers and older OS' had a limit for the amount of memory and the amount of hard drive space that it could "see", but I didn't think it was an issue anymore.

Its possible that you will need to change a setting somewhere (in the BIOS or elsewhere), but I'm sorry that I don't know precisely how to fix it.

Are you sure its not a hardware problem? Is it possible that one of your stick of RAM or one of your slots is bad?

Blondie,

CMan is on to something here. And here's how you check that. Open the case and pull all of the RAM chips out. Then ID the O or 1 slot on the mobo. Put one RAM stick in that slot and reboot. Check for any error messages on startup and then check Windows to make sure its reporting the correct amount of RAM. If all is OK then shutdown, pull that chip out and put in another stick. Do this until you've checked all four sticks and determined that they are all OK and that the slot is OK.

If slot 0 is OK then put your largest chip in 0 and leave it there. Now start the same procedure with slot 1 or 2. The key here is to be very systematic about the process.

See if that helps.

blondie32

Reaction score
ok, onerythm.

but what do i look for in the bios? Im green as hell when it comes to that.

And as i said, xp pro did not find all the ram either. and if any card should steel som ram, they should have done that from the original setup and not from the upgrade.... right?

i will try the elimination method that was mentioned, its just such a hazzle!!:) but thank you verymuch everybody!

i will be back if i dont get to the bottom of this!!!!!!!!!hehehe

blondie32

Reaction score
Ok mindido!!!

If you check this tread again, i have now checked the 2 slots i had, and the 2 new bricks i put in ( i have kind of 4 x 1 gb).

Everything with the hardware works fine.

please help me!!!!:)

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
blondie,

You say you only have two RAM slots? So I'm taking it you purchased two 2 GB chips? Man, how much did those things cost? Those things are a fortune the last time I checked.

And you say that when the machine boots from a cold start it counts the RAM quantity correctly? What is that number (on the start up screen)? Lastly, who manufactured the mobo and what is the model #?

nars

Reaction score
XP only see's 3GB physical RAM if you right-click "My Computer" and go to Properties...this is a known issue with XP and I guess Vista as well. However, if you go to "Start ---> Programs > Accessories ---> System Tools and click on "System Summary", it will show you 4GB of RAM listed under the "Value" column for "Total Physical Memory".

GrapJ

Balki Bartokamus
Reaction score
why did you guys give all the answers already?

blondie32

Reaction score
Thank you nars.

In xp it said 4 gig in system information, in vista there is still only 3 gig showing?

So I guess at least xp uses all 4 gigs even if it only shows 3 when righclicking my computer?

And to clear up the misunderstanding about my bricks and slots, I have 4 slots and 4 bricks of 1 gig each.

The hardware is good, at least xp found it all in system information.

So this must be a sofware problem or something in some settings somewhere?

Apnea

Reaction score
You probably use the 32bit version of WinXP.

If u use the 64bit version you'll be fine. The 32bit version is compatible with ram up to 4Gigs or less. Your ram is 4 X 1024 mb which is more than 4gigs..

blondie32

Reaction score
Oh my god!!! You got to be kidding?? Or at least i hope you are??

But thank you very much!!!!

So you mean that if I switch my on 1gb with a 512 brick, then it would be ok in the 32 bit version? But nothing above that?

Apnea

Reaction score
Oh my god!!! You got to be kidding?? Or at least i hope you are??

But thank you very much!!!!

So you mean that if I switch my on 1gb with a 512 brick, then it would be ok in the 32 bit version? But nothing above that?

A very good friend of mine had exactly the same problem with his pc. It was very slow booting with 4gb ram but when he took one memory stick off then it was lightning fast! He had to read the WinXp manual again to see that the 32bit version isnt compatible with 4+Gb..

Hope i helped.. take care

Edit:

blondie32 and everybody.. check this out --> http://www.brianmadden.com/content/content.asp?ID=69