• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

Norton Utilities

Epc525

Reaction score
I use Bart PE for just about every thing related to computer problems. It's a self booting disk that has a lot of differnt programs you can add to it. I'm sure many of the people here have heard of it. Its free to download and then you can add whatever programs you want to it. I'm not an expert on making the disks, I got mine from a guy i worked with at Circuit City. Anybody here used it and know how to make the disks? My Bart PE disk has Norton antivirus, macafee antivirus, spybot, ad-aware, partition magic, and a bunch of other programs. all of them can be updated as well with new definitions.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
I finally wound up following this friends advice about checking with the disk manufacturer's web site for an app that would check the drive and, lo and behold, he was correct! I downloaded it, extracted it to a 3 1/2 in. floppy, and ran it. It identified that there were several bad sectors on the disk and told me that the entire disk would have to be erased. I went ahead and did that. When finished, I reran all of the tests and the drive tested OK.

So, at least for now, it appears that Norton Utilities is a thing of the past and that if you need to check on a hard drives problems, go check with the drive's manufacturer.

My drive was a 2001 IBM (now owned by Hitachi) so if you have a problem with one of their drives, here's the link for the software:

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Now just watch. I'll stick this thing in a machine, load the OS and apps, and a week later it'll blow up in my face.

l3lasphemer

Reaction score
Mindido, Easy Recovery gives you a readout while it is scanning the HD for problems. When it encounters a bad sector it will show these in a list, after 20 or so it will basically stop the test and tell you to replace the HD because there were too many errors found. I have been using it where I work for at least 3 years now and it has never failed me.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
l3lasphemer,

Sounds like the exact app that I was looking for but I have a question. Since I don't work on PC's as much anymore (basically now just for friends), there really must be some significant reason for me to spend the money on an app. Since, apparently, all of the HD manufacturers now provide utilities to test their drives; why spend money on an app that can be had for free? I can understand purchasing the app if I needed it often but not so much if I only rarely use it.

Epc525

Reaction score
Not for nothin, but your on a forum filled with computer people. Why would you pay for any software. I apologize if people don't agree with that. I just don't pay for software. You can eithor download it, or there is normally a freeware substitute that will do the job just fine. The only time you should pay for software is if its for a corporation or if someone is paying for it for you. For home personal use companys just charge way too much for software. If you need some free software to test your HD just let me know I have a disc I got from work, I can see if I can make an iso out of it and host it on rapidshare. It can detect and fix damaged sectors. I use to use it on computers that people brought in to be fixed.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Epc,

I don't pay for a lot of software anymore and I don't think I'll be paying for a utilities app anytime soon since the HD manufacturers are now providing the testing apps I need. The applet I downloaded for this HD found a few damaged sectors and gave me the option to fix them. I did and the drive seems to be working fine. Its not even making those funny noises any longer.

Epc525

Reaction score
yea as long as there are just a few bad sektors your normally ok. I've worked on HD's with hundreds of bad sectors. Its kinda funny watchin the screen light up red.