• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

Anyone know Knoppix?

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
I have a Knoppix 3.7 CD I use to boot up and get into the hard drive of sick computers. The other day I booted one up and Knoppix couldn’t see the hard drive. Finally took the thing out and noticed it was a SATA drive.

Does Knoppix 3.7 not see SATA drives? Do subsequent Distros detect SATA? Also, I see that the newer Distros of Knoppix are too big for a CD unless you download the CD-lite version. A DVD version is pretty useless on the average sick (usually means old) computer. Will the CD lite version do what I want to do? I just want to get into hard drives and pull off data…maybe replace a corrupted system file.

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
SATA is a completely different standard than IDE, so I wouldn't be surprised if it couldn't see it.

Its like trying to stick a floppy into a CD ROM or something lol

Anyway, I'm sure they probably have a SATA version, since its starting to catch on.

As far as "sick comps" not reading DVD disks, it would have to be a fairly old or cheap computer because haven't most people been getting combo drives for the last few years?

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
Cman said:
As far as "sick comps" not reading DVD disks, it would have to be a fairly old or cheap computer because haven't most people been getting combo drives for the last few years?

I was just on one the other day that didn't even have a CD burner and couldn't read the CD-R disk I carry around with all sorts of utilities. I get on some 6 year old computers owned by guys who think we ought to spend $200 to upgrade it. You can't believe the way some people think they're saving money. Then they pay me $100/hour to make it all work and brag about the money they've saved.

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
lol yeah, tech labour is pretty ridiculously priced. if i had actually a tech job right now, i would be ashamed haha

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
I am ashamed. I could probably charge more. It seems rediculous to charge for what you and I can do in our sleep. But the people paying the bills can't even make a shortcut on their desktop.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Hey Preferred,

Been wondering where you were.

"people paying the bills can't even make a shortcut on their desktop."

I'd say that describes about 90% of all computer users out there. At least in my experience.

But I do have a bit of a bone to pick. You're complaining about making $100 per hour? You should be thanking your lucky stars! I mean, thank heaven for those people that can't create a shortcut. :)

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
he's not making $100 an hour. thats only what the charge is. he's probably working for a company, so that money is actually going to the company. then there are the various expenses and bills that are associated with business that come out of that $100.

so i wouldn't expect that he is donald trump or anything hehe.

i know this because the store i worked at a couple years ago, charged $60 at the time, but lets just say I made considerably less than $60 an hour lol. truth be told, i make more off of exp0sed than i did there :lol:

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
Cman said:
so i wouldn't expect that he is donald trump or anything hehe.

I'm not, but I'd sure do his ex....not Ivana but the latest ex...ummmm that little blond from Georgia.

Well, so here’s the whole story. I work for myself. I get the whole $100. And I have very few expenses. But like most consultant types, for every hour I bill I work another hour that doesn’t get billed. In fact a lot of stuff you read about this kind of work will tell you that a 1 to 1 ratio of billable to non-billable isn’t too bad. I have to market it, but that gets to be a word-of-mouth steam roller after a couple years of treating people well.

And no Min, I’m not complaining….well maybe a little. A couple months ago I even had to show someone how to hold down the shift key to make a capital letter instead of hitting the Caps Lock, then the letter, then the Caps Lock again.

I focus on small business networks, but lately have done quite a few house calls. Lately I’m thankful for the Linksys wireless routers with the big orange SES button that resets the encryption every time they touch it. Don’t ask them to get into the router themselves. Plugging an IP address into a browser seems pretty intimidating for these people. Takes me 5 minutes to fix it, but I sit and fool around like it’s a big fight so I don’t feel so bad walking out with a check in just a few minutes.

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
Routers can be weird sometimes. Mine screws up for no reason. All the settings will be write and the lights will be blinking and everything and it just won't work.

Usually I just reset it and wait for a minute and it works itself out eventually.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Preferred,

I don't think I'd be complaining about that type of situation. I think its pretty much a given that the older the client (generally) the less they know about these infernal machines. I learned that lesson several years ago when I was teaching software apps to insurance company employees. Older employees with little or no experience had some real problems adapting.

But, they're the ones (more than likely) that will keep you in business. Just be nice to them and they'll send more business your way.

As far as router IP's are concerned, I've noticed that I have few problems with a Linksys connected to a cable modem but DSLs seem to lose their IP's quite often. I was told by a phone tech that this could be due to older phone lines from the pole to the house.

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
Min,

Sorry 'bout your Pack yesterday. At least the Badgers gave you something to cheer about Friday.

Yea I've always found DSL's to be more finicky...and for the reason you mention. The quality of the copper is always an issue, and it's hard to get it sorted out.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Preferred,

Yup, the Pack really suck this year. Its to the point now where I kinda hope they don't win any more games so they have a chance at Reggie Bush (Jeez, I really hate to say that). The Badgers have gone way beyond where anyone figured they would, so that is pretty darn good.

The quality of the copper? I would think they would have standardized that by now. The tech I talked to was saying that if the wires from the pole to the house are poor (or not well connected) they will short, thus losing the modems IP. I see that with my mom's DSL way too often. I think she finally has the procedure down to recover the IP but, as she's one of those older users, she doesn't always get it.

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
Actually that's what I meant by quality of the copper. The metal itself is what it is, but I was referring to the fragile nature of all the connections. All it takes is some weak insulation, a little condensation in a joint or a even a screwy squirel and ya got too weak a circuit for a good signal.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Preferred,

I was checking out the Knoppix site earlier and their current version is 4.0.2 so that may be some help. It appears, though, that you have to now DL two .iso's, each of which is about 711 mb. DL speed on the servers I tried (U of Wisconsin and Purdue) was really slow also.

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
mindido said:
Preferred,

I was checking out the Knoppix site earlier and their current version is 4.0.2 so that may be some help. It appears, though, that you have to now DL two .iso's, each of which is about 711 mb. DL speed on the servers I tried (U of Wisconsin and Purdue) was really slow also.

Yea I glanced at it one night. They also have a CD-lite version. All I want is a bootable CD so I can go into hard drives and remove data or replace corrupted system files. You must have something. Do you use that Bart PE thing?

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Preferred,

"Do you use that Bart PE thing?"

No. I just play around with an old version of Knoppix (3.6). Your question got me to thinking that, since my roommate has her SATA as the bootable disk, I'd better look into this. I started DL from UW (just right down the street) but they were really slow (about 16 kbps) and then tried Purdue (a bit better at about 48 kbps). I think I'm still going to have to bit the bullet and DL them as that SATA drive is a potential problem.

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
mindido said:
I think I'm still going to have to bit the bullet and DL them as that SATA drive is a potential problem.

I'm going to do some work on it tonight too. Let's trade notes. Looks like an overnight DL to me. First I went to the Texas site....came down at about 32 KBs but then I noticed it was 3.9. Went to Purdue and got 4.0 but it's about 28 KBs right now. Should be down by the morning.....

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
So Min, here’s what I think. DL Knoppix 4.0 overnight. Burnt the CD this morning and booted it up. Detects both my partitions just fine. Plugged in a couple of flash drives and it finds them fine, just like Knoppix 3.7 but with a prettier picture. It seems to want to detect my ThinkPad’s a/b/g wireless card, but can’t find a wireless network. I didn’t fool with it much. For me this is just a tool to pull data off hard drives that won’t boot up. If I can plug storage devices into the USB’s and copy data from the hard drive, I’m pretty happy with it.

Now to find a SATA drive to try it on….

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Hey Preferred,

OK. Looks like I'll go ahead and DL and I can test the SATA drive. By the way, did you DL both files or just one? And which one?

KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-DE.iso

or

KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
I just did KNOPPIX_V4.0.2CD-2005-09-23-EN.iso. I assumed that was the English version of the same thing. What's DE....Danish?