• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

Bob Geldof a megalomaniac?

Red Horse

Reaction score
The Canadian version of Live8 in Barrie (about an hour and a half or so north of Toronto) has banned local charity groups (i.e. food bank, shelters) from asking for donations near where the show is being held.
So.
Mr. Geldof, you'd like us to spend billions of dollars on Africa (which is a truly worthwhile project) but not raise a few thousand (if they're lucky) in one day where you're getting your message across? Nice.

moxdevil

Reaction score
To be fair though he does say its about exposure instead of money this time. Even he has realised the money doesn't change anything, the fraction that the poor actually see the light-of-day of.

Still i'd agree with the megalomaniac label, the crap he's asking from kids and students and the verbal diarrhoea he spouted at ebay. :rolleyes:

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
Yeah, it doesn't help throwing money at Africa because the corrupt people in charge just buy new BMW's or something.

If rich people really want to make a difference, they shouldn't go on one of those telethon commercials, they should pay for contractors or something and get some school and hospital and shit built.

Red Horse

Reaction score
Moxdevil, me son ;)
What is this whole event about? Granted, Bob Geldof (I'll not give him the title of "Sir"...he's from the Republic Of Ireland) is saying it's about the message...and what is the message about? Cancelling the debt in Africa i.e. money.
So why (not Geldof himself, I suppose) are the people in charge of this concert in Barrie not allowing food bank people to be near the venue?
It's just plain hypocracy.
Yes, we here in Canada are incredibly lucky...but there are those who are down for a little while and need a hand up.
I'm almost thinking this should go to mindido's "Religious Right, Right?" thread lol.
Anyway, enjoy the show (we actually have the best lineup...especially since Neil Young is going to there).

moxdevil

Reaction score
Red Horse, 'me son' is that Yorkshire dialect! :)

Your right it ultimately comes down to money, but i think he is attempting to get away from that whole 'give us your money' message that we have become accustomed to. His whole slagging-off of ebay and others comes down to the fact that he sees it evidently as 'his baby'. Personally i haven't taken a great deal of notice about it so i don't know about the food banks- but yes that is hypocracy.

From the media coverage and Geldof himself on tv, i get the impression its essentially to put pressure on governments and organisations like the world bank etc... Some of the aspects of the Live8 itself have been a major cock-up- the lack of African performers etc... but i agree with the fundamental intention, as i understand it: charity in the form of money and aid doesn't work. And its up to governments and world organisations to pull their finger out.

Unfortunately the developed world has a lot to answer for again, not just over the colonial period but since, what with the manipulation of African countries during the Cold War, and the obvious exploitation and advantages that we have and continue to perpetrate against the poorest nations so that our citizens don't get overly despondent over the minor rise of their food stuffs and designer label clothing. :rolleyes:

If its ever going to become fairer, its up to governments and big business to remedy the problems that they have created, and shouldn't be left to the poor masses of the rich nations to carry the load. But everyone already knows this so why am i ranting away? :confused: :lol:

Last edited:

Red Horse

Reaction score
Moxdevil,
No, I was born and raised in Canada. Both of my parents came from a town in Scotland called Greenock (near Glasgow). However!...both of them had large families (I've got fourteen aunts and uncles lol). And they managed to spread across the U.K. finding spouses. So I've got kin from Birmingham, London, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Manchester etc. etc. and I've got a lot of idioms to choose from :) Thank god they didn't cross the channel, I've got enough of a headache with the French here in Canada lol.
You've got every reason to rant at governments (better yet, vote ;)) as does Bob Geldof...but my point is the self-serving, egocentricity of celebrities..."Oh yeah, I'm here because it's a worthy cause and something needs to be done" blather. (As an aside, I'm sure if all of those performing gave just one year's worth of what they make, that would make a LOT of difference in Africa too). They talk about how goverments should cancel debts, increase foreign spending and so on...yet they don't seem to realize that the government in question isn't an entity unto itself. The money they're asking for, (again, I know it's the message they want to get across, but it does, in the end, come down to money) comes from regular people like you and I through taxes...the rich have their lawyers to find a way out of being screwed through taxes, so this type of event doesn't make a blip on their radar at all....Now who's ranting? lol.
One more thing to add...as I was writing this, I just heard on the news that performers will be given a Hugo Boss gift bag of goodies worth $12,000...Do these people not see what's wrong with this picture? Oh, right, I answered that question myself in this post.

moxdevil

Reaction score
Red Horse said:
Moxdevil,
No, I was born and raised in Canada. Both of my parents came from a town in Scotland called Greenock (near Glasgow). However!...both of them had large families (I've got fourteen aunts and uncles lol). And they managed to spread across the U.K. finding spouses. So I've got kin from Birmingham, London, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Manchester etc. etc. and I've got a lot of idioms to choose from :) Thank god they didn't cross the channel, I've got enough of a headache with the French here in Canada lol.
You've got every reason to rant at governments (better yet, vote ;)) as does Bob Geldof...but my point is the self-serving, egocentricity of celebrities..."Oh yeah, I'm here because it's a worthy cause and something needs to be done" blather. (As an aside, I'm sure if all of those performing gave just one year's worth of what they make, that would make a LOT of difference in Africa too). They talk about how goverments should cancel debts, increase foreign spending and so on...yet they don't seem to realize that the government in question isn't an entity unto itself. The money they're asking for, (again, I know it's the message they want to get across, but it does, in the end, come down to money) comes from regular people like you and I through taxes...the rich have their lawyers to find a way out of being screwed through taxes, so this type of event doesn't make a blip on their radar at all....Now who's ranting? lol.
One more thing to add...as I was writing this, I just heard on the news that performers will be given a Hugo Boss gift bag of goodies worth $12,000...Do these people not see what's wrong with this picture? Oh, right, I answered that question myself in this post.

Agreed, :lol: Anyone would think that charity was another tax on the poor, like the lottery is, here in the UK at least. The last thing i want is the regular person having to sort it out, if it was possible with just money and goods. Fair trade etc is what i want from the government, and them from protecting the rich businesses that are happily exploiting the peoples of the poor nations- what can i say i'm naïve. :(

But yeah celebrities are twats in the main, and the sad thing is these distinctly average people are worshipped and idolised, this gives them a place to be used either for positive change or for continued exploitation. A lot of them will do it because they think they are better, but i'd like to think that some will do it simply because its a positive thing to do.

stu2906

Reaction score
I thought Sir Bob was doing another good thing due to his basic humanitarian nature until i read this a while ago

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=622332005

I now think he is a complete lunatic with good intentions, and if you look at the picture carefully - no oars.

However, no matter what Sir Bob does with this one he will forever be the man who opened the eyes of the British people to the plight of Africa, with LiveAid alone he has saved countless lives and from his (and many others including Midge Ure - the often forgotten partner) great ideas have spawned many more "celebrity" charities.

With this protest he may show many people why Africa is so poor and that they can lobby their MP's, Senators or whatever politician they have to help the poorest nations. It is not to say, however, that regimes such as Zimbabwe or Sudan should gain such relief. But countries that are trying to reform and prosper through fair trade, education to all, combating disease in particular HIV/AIDS and in general being nice, need to have their debt lifted to pay for these things. That debt in interest alone cripples many economies and prevents economic growth, to a country such as the UK however it would be a blip in the economy and one I would welcome.

Whatever happens this weekend though i truly hope however many French people come over on his boats they go back again. :lol:

moxdevil

Reaction score
stu2906 said:
Whatever happens this weekend though i truly hope however many French people come over on his boats they go back again. :lol:

stu, being the pro-Europeanist that i am i wouldn't have agreed, but man i'am friggen gettin sick of those froggies and their bloody moaning and 'its not our fault, its somebody else's fault' attitude. :breathefi they can come and then go back and stay under that shit excuse for a serious politician that they have in monsier Chirac- bloody prat.

Sorry Red Horse for the deviation from the thread.

Reverend James

Reaction score
Not to pick on semantics, but Geldof's use of the term exposure is ironic because that is precisely what the majority of poor Canadians die from every year. Yeah, great, I am in favour of helping Africa if it will work. I tell you what we should do though, solve the poverty issues at home first, then focus on the poverty-stricken "ally" nations, and then barter with the terrorist-abetting nations. Give-up the fucking arseholes that your borders harbour and we will feed your people and forgive your debt. Yes, it is strong-arming the poor in a very Mafia-esque way, but the West is not the only one who should adapt and give to benefit the world.

Red Horse

Reaction score
Bingo! Reverend James...
How does Bob Geldof expect us to up our foreign aid? The only real surplus we have is in our medicare system (as to why, that's best left for the voting booth...don't want to bore others on an international site). Speaking from experience, my brother's roommate's sister went to hospital with an incredible headache...she was left on a gurney in the hall for over twenty four hours...when they finally got around to her, she was dead...the autopsy showed she had an aneurysm.
So, even though we have one of the best medicare systems in the world, it's crumbling.
Yes, Mr. Geldof, saving lives in Africa is a truly worthwhile cause, but while there are people dying right here in Canada, I'm sorry if I sound callous, but I think our own people come first.

By the way Moxdevil, "deviation"? I need a roadmap sometimes when I respond to a thread lol.