• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

Are we all buying a TV soon?

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Well this is interesting:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6448213/did/7593620/

The gist of this article is that Congress will soon start discussing the Dec. 31, 2006 cut off of all analog television signals. After that date all of us will have to have digital TV's or set top boxes. Are we all ready?

I'll be interested to hear how many people are. It definitely appears you don't want to buy another analog TV.

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
thats great! i can't wait.

i have an HDTV now and only about 2% of shows are currently shown in HDTV. i want to start using it for what it was meant for.

there really is no comparison. HDTV is a trillion billion gazillion times better than regular cable.

mindido said:
It definitely appears you don't want to buy another analog TV.
Anybody who does, or anybody who has even bought one recently, in the last couple years, is a complete idiot.

Why do you think they're so cheap now. If anyone is buying a new TV, DEFINETELY WITHOUT QUESTION make sure its compatible with HDTV.

Duke E. Pyle

Reaction score
There's only so much available bandwidth for hd. You can either have a shit load of low quality shit channels like all the dish networks or a couple of great hd channels with less channels to choose from. Im over my tv addiction with all the shit that's put out these days anyway.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Hey Duke,

You should read the article. What they're saying is that after Dec. 31 2006 (if enacted) all of the channels in the lower bandwidth will be converted to digital thus saving bandwidth. The now freed up bandwidth will be auctioned off. Some will be used for additional channels but a lot of it could be used for teleconferencing, faster internet, and that kind of stuff. The only real downside seems to be that if your still using rabbit ears your completely out of luck. No signal at all. Read the article, its really pretty interesting.

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
mindido said:
The only real downside seems to be that if your still using rabbit ears your completely out of luck. No signal at all. Read the article, its really pretty interesting.
I agree with this because you can't keep living in the past your whole life. Society has to evolve eventually.

Its like someone going to the store and trying to buy a black and white TV, or trying to buy one with the big turning knobs on the front.

Duke E. Pyle

Reaction score
mindido said:
Hey Duke,

You should read the article. What they're saying is that after Dec. 31 2006 (if enacted) all of the channels in the lower bandwidth will be converted to digital thus saving bandwidth. The now freed up bandwidth will be auctioned off. Some will be used for additional channels but a lot of it could be used for teleconferencing, faster internet, and that kind of stuff. The only real downside seems to be that if your still using rabbit ears your completely out of luck. No signal at all. Read the article, its really pretty interesting.

Damn i didn't even think about that. It makes sense now, but like me i'm sure this is catching alot of people off gaurd in a very short period of time.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
CMan,

Well, yes and no. For the vast majority of us I agree. But there are certain problems. Cable companies don't go into most rural areas so thats not an option. I also know a couple of people that live in very hilly, tree covered areas (where they refuse to cut the trees) so satellite isn't really an option. Granted TV is not a bid deal for those people but I know they do watch the news. They're the ones that will primarily affected.

Duke E. Pyle

Reaction score
Its even worse than that...you pretty much have to live in a subdivision to get cable!! I feel like my "basic" cable is already too much, god only knows what it'll cost once they put the word "digital" in front of it.

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. There's still something called supply and demand, which will probably fix the problem.

Again, you guys are basing your views on current / old technology. I'm sure they will think of something to help the rural areas. They're not going to leave a large percentage of people "in the dark" as it were. This would be the perfect opportunity to merge TV and the internet. Its already sort of happening, but maybe it will be completed now.

Finally, all this won't happen for at least another year and a half, so that plenty of time to plan and for someone to come up with a solution. I don't know about you guys, but it only took me a couple hours to go to the store and buy a TV lol. Even if you have to save up or something, there is time for that as well.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Hey Duke,

"you pretty much have to live in a subdivision to get cable!! I feel like my "basic" cable is already too much"

Cable companies have major population areas pretty much covered. Thats not really a problem. As far as your "basic" is concerned, that will be interesting. If you don't have a HDTV you'll probably have to rent or buy some type of converter (do remember that there will have to be a separate converter for each TV).

CMan,

They did mention the S&D problem in the article, they projected that set top converters could be as low as $50 to $100 US. Still, if you have 4 TV's, that a bit of money for a family. Rural and poor areas are going to be the main problem.

"They're not going to leave a large percentage of people "in the dark" as it were."

This is the really interesting problem. I have a good friend that is waaaaaaayyy out in the middle of nowhere. He only watches the news periodically and a Packer game in the fall. Otherwise he could care less. His main interest is in knowing the weather and what he's in for. These are a small percentage of the population but they have to be accounted for.

But you are dead on with one thing. Its now foolish to spend a dime on anything other than a HDTV. For someone like my friend though, they still have to come down in price quite a bit.

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
mindido said:
This is the really interesting problem. I have a good friend that is waaaaaaayyy out in the middle of nowhere. He only watches the news periodically and a Packer game in the fall. Otherwise he could care less. His main interest is in knowing the weather and what he's in for. These are a small percentage of the population but they have to be accounted for.
There's something called a radio. Its a new invention you might have hear of :)

If he's that disinterested in TV anyway, a radio would probably work fine for weather reports.

Duke E. Pyle

Reaction score
mindido said:
Hey Duke,

"you pretty much have to live in a subdivision to get cable!! I feel like my "basic" cable is already too much"

Cable companies have major population areas pretty much covered. Thats not really a problem. As far as your "basic" is concerned, that will be interesting. If you don't have a HDTV you'll probably have to rent or buy some type of converter (do remember that there will have to be a separate converter for each TV).

Yeah but thats just it, most people want to live in rural areas, i know i do. My bro bought a house last year and internet connection was a huge factor. Now that just sux! A large portion of each county in each state is rural. I heard a long time ago that they were working on internet through electical lines. Everyone with electricity could have extremely fast connections. And whats a radio?

Duke E. Pyle

Reaction score
ahh fuck it, now that i think about it im pretty optimistic, hell if your rural you can't get much of shit anyway so whats the difference, if anything it'll only get better like cman said. Here's to a grand and some Ben Franks on the side :beer:

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Hey Duke,

"My bro bought a house last year and internet connection was a huge factor. Now that just sux!"

I'm not quite sure what your saying in this paragraph but at least as far as the above statement is concerned, you have no worries. The internet portion of the bandwidth will not be affected negatively. Most likely internet bandwidth will be increased. Instead of getting 3Mbps maybe you'll get 4 or 5 Mbps.

CMan,

Radio? To tell you the truth, my buddy probably wouldn't mind that much (except he may raise holy hell about losing the Packer games) given how much he actually uses the tube, but I think politicians are going to be careful about riling all of their rural voters.

Reverend James

Reaction score
I am on satellite and the big promo in town is to offer HD satellite boxes for free with HDTV-ready TV's. I have been holding off for the time being, because I get paid monkey wages, but I am definitely grabbing a DLP soon.

Check these cats out:

www.hometheaterhifi.com

They will tell you the straight shit on everything.

I work with one of their writers, and he loses me every time I ask him a simple question like: "Should I buy an HDTV?" These guys are really technical and unbiased, for the most part.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Hey Rev,

Jeez, I see what you mean. I just checked their advise on buying a TV and I didn't understand a whole lot. What did get to me though are the prices. $2000 for a TV! I severely doubt that I would ever spend that much on a TV. I thought I went way overboard 5 to 7 years ago when I bought a 32" Sony and that wasn't even half the price. I think those prices are going to have to come way down, and the quality come up, before a whole lot of people buy the HDTV's. But thanks for the link, I'll check back with them later.

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
you have to equate the prices with the size of the TV though. we're talking about BIG screens here.

a couple years ago, you'd pay $2000-$3000 for a standard TV of the same size too.

Stingray

Supreme Jackass
Reaction score
Ya know....it'd be rather stupid to let that happen, considering the number of people that would be cut off, at least initially. That's a lot of $ to be lost, potentially, in the shuffle for cable companies, advertisers, etc. It'd only be gone for the first year or so following, while people scrambled to update their crap....but think about the non-HD cable & satillite revenue per year. That's a LOT of money to be lost, particularly to the larger companies (AOL/Time/Warner for example, who run cable, digital cable, and at least 2 satillite providers that I'm aware of throughout the northeast)....the econimy (wow is that spelled wrong...) problems from companies that large losing that much money at the same time would be...well, problematic, for an already beaten up economy...

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Hey CMan,

Yeah, I know. But I think most people still aren't willing to pay the money for big screens and, if I understood the article at the Rev's friends website correctly, smaller TV's (the ones most people will buy) have fairly poor quality innards (for lack of a better term).

Don't get me wrong here CMan. I think Congress should keep that date but I also think people should be aware of whats going on and that this will cost everybody something.

WorldinPalms

Reaction score
This is just f*cking stupid to me! Isn't this kind of like the government trying to run our lives and the way we live? I mean, they are TELLING us that we HAVE to have digital cable now?, not that I mind cause I have an hdtv, but what about the po folk? This all just sounds f*cktarded to me.