• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

9/11 Compensation

Brianwp

Reaction score
Here's something I don't get at all. Why did the 9/11 survivors get the compensation fund? They got an average of 1.8 million dollars each! Why? Don't get me wrong, 9/11 was a horrible event, and many wives, husbands, and children's lives were sadly changed forever on that day. But so were the families of the Pearl Harbor victims. We've lost (and are still losing) thousands of men in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan...where is their compensation? Since when does the government have to pay it's own citizens for an act of war? There's a lot more families of war casualties even in this "war" than the 9/11 families..haven't they paid the same price? Our dead soldiers lost their lives by willingly fighting for their country, not unwittingly by accident, but voluntarily by knowingly putting themselves in harm's way for their country..what do they get, besides a burial? I just don't get it.

-KA-

Staff Alumn
Reaction score
I agree with you. I think the most they should have done is take care of their medical bills (injured). That's it. And you said "average" of 1.8 - that means some got less, some got more - who decides who gets what and what were the standards?

sydbarrett

Reaction score
They said early on that the pay outs from lawsuits against the airlines and government would have far exceeded the 1.8 that the average person would receive. And that's probably true. As far as who gets what, well, that's a little shifty. I just read about a woman on LI who is saying that she is only getting $70,000. She's complaining that that's all their saying her husband was worth. The problem is that he had colon cancer which he died from, but it most likely was pre-existing. Who's to say he wasn't going to die in the same time, with or without being one of the responders?

Either way, God Bless all the innocent involved.

friend26

Respected Member
Reaction score
start wars are the first to be hiding, and the easier way to give money to family members instead of explaining why that killed their loved ones!!

OFFicerJACK

Reaction score
Well Brianwp, our current President wants to waste money on socialized medicine and large corporate bailouts.

He's spending TRILLIONS of taxpayer's hard-earned dollars.

I would rather give a few million (or more) to the victims of 9-11, wouldn't you?

luddite

Staff Alumn
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
And what's wrong with that?

What's wrong is America is supposed to be about free enterprise, not the government bailing out big industries with their grandchildren's money. (Deficit spending)

Back to the subject, why did my insurance premiums go up when I don't even live in the USA ?

-KA-

Staff Alumn
Reaction score
I meant the first part - socialized medicine

darkwolf

Reaction score
mmm the idea of healthcare for that poor 18 year old that got kicked out of his families home that was already poor as dirt....

THE ACT OF SATAN!!! if that individual who of no choice of his own on getting tossed with nothing to really stand on gets hurt and WE other americans "have" to pitch in to make sure he recovers well is a bad thing. long live the rich and spoiled!

....seriously...there is a point to socialized medicine.

marquis

Reaction score
What's wrong is America is supposed to be about free enterprise, not the government bailing out big industries with their grandchildren's money. (Deficit spending)

Back to the subject, why did my insurance premiums go up when I don't even live in the USA ?

Where did you get hold of this idea?America was founded on the principle that the people choose what sort of country they want.Free enterprise is a wonderful thing but it isn't enshrined in the Constitution.
As for bailing out industries it's probably protected the livelihoods of a lot of citizens who will now have employment and be able to pay taxes.

Brianwp

Reaction score
This is a little confusing, but besides the 9/11 question, officer jack brought up a couple of more questions.

Before I start, I found out that by recieving the 9/11 payout the victim's families were agreeing to not file suit against the airlines, which would have cost even a lot more.

As far as the bailout...it's commonly agreed amongst all economists that the bailout, however regrettable, was necessary to prevent a total collapse of the country's financial economy. This is pretty much a fact. Nobody liked doing it, and everybody wished they didn't have to, but in all reality, they had to. The alternative was complete anihalation of the US economy, even worse than the Great Depression, there's really no doubt about that. And it worked. It's not a rapid recovery, after all, it took years to get into this mess, and it will take years to get out of it. But it stopped it. And much of the bailouts have been already paid back to the government already, and will still be paid back.

The healthcare issue is a different thing, maybe more of a humanitarian cause. But it will give healthcare to around 31 million Americans that had none before. It amuses me how people complain about how we should help our own poor here instead of giving aid to other countries. But when they passed the healthcare bill for our own, they still complain! We need to stop looking at the politics and start looking at the realities.

OFFicerJACK

Reaction score
I agree with you. I think the most they should have done is take care of their medical bills (injured). That's it. And you said "average" of 1.8 - that means some got less, some got more - who decides who gets what and what were the standards?

Who decides? In socialized medicine, the Government decides. The Government that decided to give 1.8 million to each survivor. That's what is wrong with it (according to you). I was simply saying that the amount is miniscule compared with the other programs the Government is funding.

Evidently what angers darkwolf was that some of the victims were rich. This had the effect of bringing up the average since the payout was based on loss of wages.

Brianwp, it always amuses me that the Democrats blame the Republicans for being "in the pocket" of Big Business when it was a Democrat who bailed out GM and Chrysler. Of course we all know that the Big Business in this case was actually Big Labor and he did it for the votes. (How's that workin' out for ya Mr. Prez?)

So now he wants to bail out Big Medicine (read Big Insurance). Don't need to ask how that will work. The 9-11 survivors better get their money while they can.

scoundrel

Reaction score
Brianwp, it always amuses me that the Democrats blame the Republicans for being "in the pocket" of Big Business when it was a Democrat who bailed out GM and Chrysler. Of course we all know that the Big Business in this case was actually Big Labor and he did it for the votes. (How's that workin' out for ya Mr. Prez?)

So now he wants to bail out Big Medicine (read Big Insurance). Don't need to ask how that will work. The 9-11 survivors better get their money while they can.
I might be totally losing the plot here Officer Jack (please forgive me if I am) but didn't General Motors and Chrysler come within a whisker of going belly up in the final quarter of 2008 and the first quarter of 2009? GM went into Chapter 11 Bankrupcy in June 2009 and is now mainly the property of US taxpayers. GM and Chrysler employ several hundred thousand American workers and support a figure in the young millions on pensions and healthcare benefits in the domestic US alone. I presume you aren't concerned about the many many overseas workers they employ and their welfare although you would be naive to think dumping the overseas workers would have a beneficial effect on the US economy.

The phrase "too big to fail" has been heard a lot too often in the last few years and it reflects badly on the governments (not just the US government) and on the regulators and on the competition watchdogs who were asleep whilst these banks and multi-national corporations becaame "too big to fail." Incidentally, that did not happen on Mr Obama's watch, but in his former life as a Senator he is not exempt from blame. Neither is former President Clinton. This was not exclusively a Republican mess: politicians tend to think that if they can successfully pin the blame on someone else, it means the problem has been solved, but it doesn't. However, I really cannot see that allowing these behemoths, GM and Chrysler, to collapse and cease trading a la Enron would have been a terribly good idea. The knock on effects on the US (and world) economy would have been drastic.

What Mr Obama did was to prevent a huge immediate crisis which would have kicked America when she was already down. You can tell yourself that it was a bribe to Big Labor (sic) if you want to: my own view is that he acted in the national interest like a President is supposed to. Incidentally, as a British citizen, I think he did the whole world economy a really big favour but it's my opinion and your opinion is every bit as valid as mine.

One comment I would make. GM and Chrysler have been sick, unprofitable and in danger of collapse for many years. This crisis was waiting to happen, any time a serious recession came along. Partly this is the fault of blockheads like Rick Wagoner, whose name ironically hints at the product mix of technologically backward-looking SUVs and pick-up trucks which went down like anthrax biscuits with US customers as soon as the world oil price started to rise. But another, more deep rooted structural issue is that GM alone was providing private healthcare for 1.1 million employees, ex-employees and dependents, not to mention unfunded pension liabilities. The chickens of off-balance-sheet-finance were coming home to roost. By dumping the responsibility of funding healthcare onto private/corporate employers the US taxpayer keeps the official cost of government and consequent tax bill down but it's smoke and mirrors. The cost of turning healthcare into a tax on employment is paid in grossly uncompetitive US labour costs, jobs exported to more competitive labour markets, US companies unable to compete and survive, soaring unemployment figures (the unemployed lose theirhelathcare benefits don't they?) and now in the case of GM and Chrysler the bill has found its way back to the taxpayer afer all.

Your existing settlement between government and the citizen is based on unsound economic assumptions and there will be bail-out after bail-out, corporate collapse after corporate collapse, until the message is received and understood, and uncompetitive burdens are taken off the shoulders of American industry. It's nice to have a high-benefit/low tax society if you can get it, but the US companies who have been picking up the tab are looking awfully pale now, from all that loss of blood.

Compensation for 9/11 victims is a fleabite. Healthcare costs are a stake through the heart.