• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

iPhone/iTouch Wifi issue

HOBBAM

Reaction score
Don't use Apple/Mac much, so I don't know of their security/firewall setups.

Now that the iPhone and iTouch have Wifi capabilities, what kind of security is there, say, from someone trying to hack onto one's iPhone/iTouch, to see their info, etc?

I know when I take my PC laptop around or use a wifi spot or another connection for the short time I'm in that area, my security software will inform me that a remote system is trying to access my system, or my system has an intruder. So what's to say that it wouldn't be possible to do the same with the iPhone/iTouch, when using a wifi spot or someone's connection, where someone my try to access it, once it pops up on their network.

I know Apple has Bonjour, which has made it easier to share or whatever with others, but now that the iPhone/iTouch has got wifi, who's to say that someone couldn't piggyback off that to see your info?

Not saying that if I got one, I would be keeping all this private info on the device, but if I want to check email, statements, etc.....it would be nice to know that someone isn't able to look in.

But again, I'm not familiar with Apple security these days.

Also, for anyone who got the iTouch, I've been hearing that there are major problems with the screen colors. Like the blacks aren't true blacks, and the clarity is a bit off? I heard it was with Week 37 batch....but after that, it's seems fine. Didn't know if they fixed that, because I was thinking of getting the iTouch

HOBBAM

Reaction score
if a wifi exploit happens, you better believe it will be all over the news/internet.

in most ways tcp/ip is handled the same, the biggest difference is how it handles files and file types. remember that the mac os is currently unix based.

im not sure of "piggyback off of" methods, but with ANY wifi device in a public unencrypted network you are suspect-able to packet sniffing, so dont ever send private data over those type of connections on ANY computer or device.

pc laptops are usually targeted in hacks, and and pcs handle network traffic differently. (windows often gives files permissions and lets them execute)

as for the iphone/touch
Im not sure that any files on those devices will allow a remote user or even the proper permissions to read anything.

as far as hacking into the iphone/itouch to get someones info... im sure we will hear about it, if it happens. there are other wifi enabled devices out there, like the nokia 770 and many new digital cameras.

i have not yet heard of hackers hacking the nokia 770 or the wifi enabled digital cameras.

I'm not familiar with "packing sniffing".......could you tell me what that means?

I'm just trying to figure out.......whether I can access and write/check/send email without being concerned about someone being able to read it or access the account or something.

You talk about someone being able to see any data "sent" over an unencrypted network.....but what about info coming in, to the iTouch?

and especially if you're in a work enviornment and maybe your iTouch gets a connection via an open line at work....if you want to work on your work computer and then check mail, watch youtube vids, check sites, etc, on the iTouch, so no personal info or whatever is going across a company network, that would tell them that you're not doing work or something. ???

Just want to know there is at least some protection on that iTouch device before I buy it.

staybright69

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with "packing sniffing".......could you tell me what that means?

I'm just trying to figure out.......whether I can access and write/check/send email without being concerned about someone being able to read it or access the account or something.

You talk about someone being able to see any data "sent" over an unencrypted network.....but what about info coming in, to the iTouch?

and especially if you're in a work enviornment and maybe your iTouch gets a connection via an open line at work....if you want to work on your work computer and then check mail, watch youtube vids, check sites, etc, on the iTouch, so no personal info or whatever is going across a company network, that would tell them that you're not doing work or something. ???

Just want to know there is at least some protection on that iTouch device before I buy it.

When you send and receive data on the internet it is broken down into packets and sent out to be reassembled at the destination.

The problem is that anybody with a little bit of intelligence and/or desire to participate in mischievous behavior can easily obtain the necessary equipment to "sniff" these packets out as they are moving between your hand held and the access point you are using.

You mentioned that you may be connecting to your company's intra net. Depending on the company you work for they probably also use their own Network Sniffer which they use too protect their network. Anything you send over their network can be detected unless you find a way to send your data through a "Secure Tunnel" of some sort.

Also one of the things most people do not understand is that in some cases their usernames and passwords are sent in text file format which makes it easy for anyone to capture the info and use it for their own gain, especially a slightly unscrupulous IT guy.

HOBBAM

Reaction score
When you send and receive data on the internet it is broken down into packets and sent out to be reassembled at the destination.

The problem is that anybody with a little bit of intelligence and/or desire to participate in mischievous behavior can easily obtain the necessary equipment to "sniff" these packets out as they are moving between your hand held and the access point you are using.

You mentioned that you may be connecting to your company's intra net. Depending on the company you work for they probably also use their own Network Sniffer which they use too protect their network. Anything you send over their network can be detected unless you find a way to send your data through a "Secure Tunnel" of some sort.

Also one of the things most people do not understand is that in some cases their usernames and passwords are sent in text file format which makes it easy for anyone to capture the info and use it for their own gain, especially a slightly unscrupulous IT guy.

well there goes the option of trying to access my personal email and send emails out, if there's that possibility of that info being captured or whatever.

I mainly wanted to get the iTouch for the music/video and mainly wifi, and since I'm on the move a lot, it would nice to have something where you can access sites and email at a moments notice, and would hope that there would be some protection.

Thought about going to an Apple store this weekend to ask a MAC genius more about that, before I purchase the product.

swede68

Respected Member
Respected Member
Reaction score
Thought about going to an Apple store this weekend to ask a MAC genius more about that, before I purchase the product.

"MAC genius"? Isn't that an oxymoron? :mrgreen:

acme

Reaction score
for me it will be interesting to see if, in 2008 when Iphone will make it's proper debut in Europe it will be still thenumber one choice.
for me Sony-Ericsson it's by far a better choice than iPhone

HOBBAM

Reaction score
This is what I found out....if you didn't already know it.

From the MAC Genius.

iTouch.---open wifi. No security. Any connection you make to a wifi spot, and data transfer over that connection, like access sites or view your email. that packet sniffing stuff or whatever....isn't protected because the iTouch is open wifi.

iPhone - open wifi and Edge. Edge is your own connection to the net, so you don't have to worry about trying to find a wifi spot. They said it's safe to access email on, etc....but who knows.

I might just get an iTouch to access the net if anything. I don't know the issues of Safari and Apple software, when hooked up to a PC, if you run a PC, and because iTouch is open wifi, if you visit a site on your iPhone, whether anything can be downloaded onto the iPhone, then transferred over to your PC, when you sync. Like a virus. I think I already asked this, but wasn't sure.

But, I thought I would update you on speaking with the Mac Genius