• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

Macintosh road test

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
So help me God, if this starts one of those stupid “my-browser/computer/firewall-is-the-best” arguments I’m going to recommend my own thread for Jihad. Most people start with one system, then without really knowing the others decide theirs is the best.

That being sad, I learned PC’s back in the DOS days. I don’t care if you use Macs or PCs. But recently I had to buy my son a G4 PowerBook for school and used it exclusively for a few days out of curiosity. Here’s what I think after a few days….just a few…of living on a Mac.

Jobs and Gates have made some choices, and each choice always has a flip side...good or bad. Jobs keeps much tighter control over his Op System. It makes for a cleaner, more predictable system. That coupled with his market share has kept him off the radar screen of hackers. Gates' system is more customizable....from across the internet in the case of Domain Controllers and Group Policy. There are more ways to get in and out, more ways to customize things...even more keys. That's a huge advantage to enterprises that network his machines, but obviously leaves his system more open to exploitation. More people write software for WinTel, and that has huge advantages, but also means the user has to be careful what he chooses to download and hook into his op sys.

It drives me nuts that I quit an application on a Mac and its process is still running in the background. Fool with a Mac for a while and you can grind it to a halt with all the running processes eating your RAM. But in the Windows system, if you don't know what you're doing half the applications you install (esp. the "free" crap) will set the op sys to start some of their code and keep a running process at every reboot even if you don’t use the associated application for months. Even Microsoft leaves that small but worthless ctfmon running on all their machines.

It seems both systems have come a long way in terms of recovering from crashes. I don't think that's nearly the issue for either platform...but esp. WinTel, as it used to be.

Again I am not a Mac expert and realize that living with it for a few months would help me step over some hurdles I see right now. I gave up trying to get msn.com videos to play for me. However, if I was new to computing and didn’t think I’d ever network, a Mac might be tempting. They’re simpler in some ways.

My bottom line, with Windows you fight to keep the crap out, with Mac you fight to make it compatible.

If anyone out there knows both systems I’d like to know what you think. If you’re lived with one all your life: don’t tell me yours is the best.

Conman

Reaction score
I've lived with Macs all my life. And I know its the best .... for what I do which is Graphic Design, Motion Graphics and Editing. But Macs do come with a few shortcomings ... Software is the first and most common shortcoming. I say shortcoming becz its not a big problem. Gaming stuff is not as varied as that for PCs although it must be said that Mac games really rawk becz of its amazing graphics ability.

Ram issues are its second shortcoming although with the new Ram management system, I find it more reliable than the systems of past. I always max out all my Ram card slots as my work demands it. Thus I never have Ram issues.

I used to have major problems trying to finish my work onto VCDs and DVDs ... Macs never had a good burn reputation, esp with their -R format ... until now ... The advent of Toast Titanium 6 has made that all possible, including DVD+R authoring. And it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I've used both platforms for the Internet and normally have both PC and Mac running concurrently while I work. On a 6500 cable connection, I gotta give Mac its props for speed. Afterall, the current lot of Apples are designed with specific attention to Internet usage and reliability.

Reliability. That should be a key word when deciding on systems' performances. Thus, with all the bugs and viruses plaguing the PC world, I go with Macs for reliability and security. In the one year preceding this post, my PC has gone South no less than four times ... Mac had one hiccup, and that was becz my fourth HD (not the default HD) crashed - manufacturer's fault, got a replacement.

Yes I love Macs, but I do still use PC for a lot of stuff. Both have their advantages and shortcomings but I'd rather be seen in public with a Titatnium Powerbook than a PC lap!!! :D

KABOOM

I'm just here for the tits
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've worked with both. At school, public and private, all we had to work with were Macs. At home, I had a PC. In my experience withe Macs, I have found them to be much simpler to learn with and easier to use and maintain. And it was a lot harder to get viruses and anything that would mess up the machine. And they were easier to rebuild (class assignment).

PC's, however, are a lot easier to customize and make your own programs and make it how you want it to be. It is WAY easier, for problems to come in over the internet, or any update Microsoft has, which also can reaaaallyy screw things up. But they allow are easier for the common consumer to use, it seems. And a lot more affordable. (some as low as $300, while Macs lowest is around $500-$600 in my experience) So I say it is a tossup.

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
Kaboom you’re right about PC’s costing way less….up front. But for the average Joe who never downloads an update or uses a firewall, he buys that $500 Dell laptop they advertise all the time and he ends up spending way more to add RAM, remove spyware crud, etc. Total Cost of Ownership is way higher for him I would guess. But for an IT department at an enterprise, the TCO is way lower for the PC network.

Conman, I’m not a graphics guy but I know you guys all go to Macs. I don’t know your world but you guys must be right about its advantages. My kid is going to an art school…that’s why I’m getting him a Mac. The basic reason is probably the best reason…everyone around him is going to have one. If you’re at a business that is all networked and everyone around you is using a PC, stay compatible with those around you. If everyone around you is on a Mac, that’s a compelling reason to go that way.

I’d like to spend more time with this P Book but my shit’s coming home soon and I’ll have to send it off to New York with him.

Last edited:

Supafly

Barely Ever Here
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
I have both a pc and an Ibook. I've actually had major problems with my ibook and rarely use it now. I replaced 3 motherboards, 2 ram chips, a power cable and a battery. And I gotta say apples service and support sucks. I had to basically threaten to start a "Don't buy an Apple" campaign just to get them to replace the first mother board 2 weeks after I bought it.

But, on the flipside, my fiancee is computer illiterate and the ibook is perfect for her. It's simplicity allows for people without signifigant computer knowledge to be able to use and maintain a computer without all the (most of the time) problems and worries.

There are pluses and minuses to both. People should just use what there comfortable with.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Preferred,

I haven't owned an Apple since my very first computer (an Apple II) but I do have an observation. My roommate is in the second year of a similar graphics program and uses Macs at school but has a PC I built her at home. She really dislikes the Macs (except for the monitors) as she finds them slow, no right click, and the apps easier to use on the PC. Not sure why that is as the apps (Photoshop, etc., etc.), are supposed to be better on the Mac.

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear from people who have done more than spend 20 minutes with another operating system, then pronounced it “crap”. Seems to me that people who hate right-wing neo-cons who tell everyone else what to believe, suddenly take it personally that others don’t use the same computer as they do.

I think it’s like buying stereo speakers. If you like the way those over there sound, you should buy them. Just don’t get all bent out of shape when I like these over here.

Last edited:

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Duke,

Nice find! OS X on a PC? That could be pretty interesting! That was pretty disturbing about the TPM. I'd never heard of it but it seems we'd better keep track of that.

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
mindido said:
TPM. I'd never heard of it but it seems we'd better keep track of that.

Ditto. If I had to choose who the nastier, low-punching, anti-competition jerk was between Jobs and Gates, I don't think I could.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Preferred,

I agree. I bookmarked the site and will keep track of this development. It would seem to me that this could be easily hacked to provide some REALLY useful spyware.

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
Duke E. Pyle said:
Is this shit real? Do Mac's really do this?

Never seen one do that. The OS 10.4 I just used had a sound, small one, not like that. Besides, there are volume controls. My Win XP makes no sound at start up or shut down...just the way God intended.

Conman

Reaction score
First of all, the Platinum or Titanium Powerbooks don't have such an outstanding sound system. Secondly, Macs dun start up like that. Third, its a third party instal warez and lastly, he's a fucking idiot, if the video is real in the first place. Just looks like another Mac Bashing to me.

singhr

Reaction score
Conman said:
Third, its a third party instal warez Just looks like another Mac Bashing to me.
Hehe... I think you're looking into this a little too hard. It's just a video ;)
Conman said:
Just looks like another Mac Bashing to me.
Well duh?!? :lol: Actually.. I don't think it had anything to do with Mac bashing, it was just meant to be funny.

The Mighty Z

Been away for a while
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
singhr said:
Hehe... I think you're looking into this a little too hard. It's just a video ;)

Well duh?!? :lol: Actually.. I don't think it had anything to do with Mac bashing, it was just meant to be funny.

For crying out loud, stop it will ya!

If your posting quality doesn't go higher than bashing Conman, then don't post at all.
I know you don't like him and he doesn't like you either.

Conman was just giving his opinion on the video, nothing more, nothing less.
If you've got another opinion on the vid, then post it in a mature way, that is without trying to piss off other members.