• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

Windows XP shut down

The_Trip

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm running windows XP home edition and for the last couple of weeks it takes 10 to 15 minutes to shut down. Is there ia virus running around that got by my norton antivirus ?

Thanks

Fish

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
The_Trip,

Unless you've gota really old, slow machine, XP shouldn't take anywhere near that long to shut down (mine usually takes maybe 30 seconds).

More than likely you've picked up some spyware that is broadcasting something to someone.

First off, do you know how to use MSConfig? If not, check this thread:

http://forum.exp0sed.com/showthread.php?t=4737

Second. Are you using a firewall? If not, check these threads:

http://forum.exp0sed.com/showthread.php?t=4561
http://forum.exp0sed.com/showthread.php?t=2814
http://forum.exp0sed.com/showthread.php?t=2668

Third. If you can, download and install AdAware and Spybot S&D from here:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

http://www.safer-networking.org/

If you can't get to these sites, then you know that something has infected your computer, and its probably pretty malicious.

Thy those first. Also, get rid of Norton, its crap. I've used Zone Alarm (free version) and AVG anti virus for quite a few years now and have had no problems.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Cobra,

I use that also as its very clear nowadays that no anti-spyware app will catch everything. I think I'm actually using five of them, but I didn't want to freak The_Trip out all at once. Just get him started.

Dmoney

Reaction score
IF you have a good machine and it takes that long, then you obviously have a problem. Try reinstalling windows and see what happens!!

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
Trip,

The problem might be that your user profile doesn't unload all the way. Microsoft even makes a fix for it. I've used it before. Click here to go to MS and read about it. You can download the fix (user hive cleanup service) from them.

Just know that when you use it, it may break some links to your user profile...meaning you may have to reinstall something like active sync or some other sync type program that get's its teeth into your user profile.

grungalunga

Reaction score
Do a system restore - but youre going to have to hope you still have a restore point back when your comp was shutting down fine.

keep in mind if you do decide to do a restore, you will lose any files modified since the restore point taht arent in My Documents. but the Almighty Restore can be an easy fix to most problems.

Also, hit cntrl-alt-del to bring up the process list. go to answersthatwork.com and look at their task list. See if you have anything running that they suggest you kill.

good luck & keep us posted

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
grungalunga said:
Do a system restore - but youre going to have to hope you still have a restore point back when your comp was shutting down fine.

That might help if there is a restore point far back enough. They usually only go back a month though.

grungalunga said:
keep in mind if you do decide to do a restore, you will lose any files modified since the restore point taht arent in My Documents.

Not true. System Restore only overwrites the registry, .ini files and other system files. Your data will remain no matter where it is on the hard drive.

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
The auto restore points only go back so far, but if you manually create one every so often, i believe those are perm, arent they?

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
Cman said:
The auto restore points only go back so far, but if you manually create one every so often, i believe those are perm, arent they?

No. The limitation is the size of the System Volume file. It's set as a percentage of your hard drive and can't exceed that percentage. Each restore point can be over 100 Megs and they just keep dropping off in chronological order.

I do a lot of manual restore points too. But I also use ntbackup and save System State information to a CD before I do something risky (like download data from a sick computer).

grungalunga

Reaction score
Regarding the restore point - i've read on several sites that it will overwrite anything not in your my documents folder. I think that is the point of restore - to clear out whatever file or files are fucking up the computer. Ive never thought to test and see if it would hit other files stored elsewhere on the system.

Regarding how far back you go, well it depends on how much space you allocate - (you can adjust the space through "my computer") - i have points going back 3 months. Not that i ever see a need to go that far back, but its nice to know i have a bigger saftey cushion.

Preferred User

Engorged Member
Reaction score
grung...I've used Sys Restore many, many times...and read about it to make sure I knew what I was doing. I'm not saying I'm never wrong, been doing this too long to ever say that. But......my experience is that it leaves all data files alone. I've seen some shortcuts disappear after a restore so that it looks like your data is gone, but it isn't. Sys Restore doesn't even look at files that end in a .jpg, .doc, .zip, .avi, etc. It couldn't care less. Some installed programs may not work after a restore. But that doesn't mean their data is gone. Install the program again and your data will work.

If your restore points go back 3 months, I'm betting you have a good size hard drive so that the largest percentage possible (I believe it's 12%) allocation for Sys R gives you a lot of options.