• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

Router troubles - please help

rocketman70092

Reaction score
I'm having trouble accessing my router page.

There was a power outage, and I was trying to connect to reconfigure the router for cable internet access.

Well the lights are blinking on the cable modem to indicate something is talking to the modem. The lights are on the router to indicate the computers are on it. The router can see the computers, and the comptuers can detect that there is some kind of network.

But I cant access the internet, and I cant access the router page. I've tried ipconfig with no luck. I can't even ping the damn thing!

Please help me ASAP!!!!!!

Thanks so much

Epc525

Reaction score
best solution is normally to reset the router and start from scratch. It might seem like a pain in the ass, but networking is such a picky/touchy thing that sometime you can spend double the time troublshooting than it will take to set the damn thing up again.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
rocketman,

Expanding on Epc's description a bit, try this.

Turn off your computer and pull the power plug on the router.

Wait at least 15 to 20 seconds before putting the power plug back into the router.

Wait until all appropriate lights on the router are on and then turn your computer on.

Once the computer is on, do you have a connection?

If that doesn't work, what happens when you go back to a hardwire connection? Will that still work? Try that and let us know what happens.

rocketman70092

Reaction score
Well about doing a reset - I tried resetting on the brower page and it wouldnt let me reconfigure for cable internet. So I did a factory restore (which i had to do once before).

When i did it this morning, the little icon came up telling me a network connection was unplugged, but i never got a reconnected icon. If I'd reset at the physical router, or unplug it for 30 seconds, my computer would say "a connection has been disconnected, then say a connection has been made"

All the lights are on the router and modem. So if someone were to look just at that equipment, youd think everything was fine. Even when i plug into my ethernet card, I can see a green light on (but not the yellow "busy" light).

Ive tried ipconfig/release and ipconfig./renew. When I tried to renew, I got a DHCP error.

Ive tried pinging it with no results. From what I remember, i dont think I was showing a gateway IP when i used ipconfig.

I DO know I am putting the proper address into the browswer b/c ive used it several times before.

So what are my options if that doesnt work? I have my tcp/ip set to automatic, should I go in and manually configure it? And manually type in the router address for the default gateway.

Im not worried about resetting. My setup was cut & dry, and used just to share an internet connection.

Thank you so much for your help so far. I really appreciate it.

In the words of Poet "if you were a chick, you'd get tongue"

rocketman70092

Reaction score
I guess I should add that this is a hard wired network setup. Not a single wireless component is on it.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
rocketman,

Ok, I need a little info.

OS?
Do you have a cable or DSL connection?
What type of router?

And you followed the above procedure precisely? Thats very important. And, going back and checking it, I need to make a change.

1. Pull the power plug on BOTH the router and the modem.
2. Turn off the computer.
3. After at least 15 to 20 seconds, first turn on the modem and make sure all appropriate lights are on.
4. After all the modem lights are on, then turn on the router and make sure all of its appropriate lights are on.
5. Now turn on the computer and see if your connection works.

Let us know one way or the other.

rocketman70092

Reaction score
mindido said:
rocketman,

Ok, I need a little info.

OS?
Do you have a cable or DSL connection?
What type of router?

And you followed the above procedure precisely? Thats very important. And, going back and checking it, I need to make a change.

1. Pull the power plug on BOTH the router and the modem.
2. Turn off the computer.
3. After at least 15 to 20 seconds, first turn on the modem and make sure all appropriate lights are on.
4. After all the modem lights are on, then turn on the router and make sure all of its appropriate lights are on.
5. Now turn on the computer and see if your connection works.

Let us know one way or the other.

Os = windows xp
modem - cable
Router = on-q router.

I'm about to head home now and try what you said - if you dont hear from me by say 1030 pm central time, then that means your advice didnt work. Thanks again, I really appreciate you helping me. I know abit about computers, but networking is brand new to me.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
rocketman,

XP is really pretty good about working with IP's. I was worried that you were still using 95, 98 or Me.

When you get home, if the procedure I mentioned above doesn't work, then try hooking your machine directly to the modem and see if it works. If it does then you know you have a problem with the router. If the router is new then just return it and probably get a Linksys. They seem to be pretty reliable.

Epc525

Reaction score
Linksys all the way. I never recomend anything else. I'm taking networking in college right now. Its a pain in the ass, there just so much shit to remember. You can do the same steps over an over again and then the 5th time it just wont work. A lot of times its just a trail and error thing. Just keep trying things until it works.

GrapJ

Balki Bartokamus
Reaction score
just one solution i didn't read about here

If you don't have a provider for Internet then ignore this tekst

Your Modem could have signalled to the main-pc(provider-side) that the connection to your router is not available.
You can only find out by calling your provider and ask for a reset.
They will ask you to reset on your side and they reset on their side.

rocketman70092

Reaction score
Epc525 said:
Linksys all the way. I never recomend anything else. I'm taking networking in college right now. Its a pain in the ass, there just so much shit to remember. You can do the same steps over an over again and then the 5th time it just wont work. A lot of times its just a trail and error thing. Just keep trying things until it works.

Wish i knew what was in the plans. When my folks built the place, they wanted to know if they should get wired networking. I said YES (screw wireless networking, a pain the arse if you ask me).

Well I didnt know that part of the wired networkign package was that the on-q installed put in an ONq router. Id switch it out, but if youve ever seen an on-q can, youd realise how much of an issue space can be in there.

It was on an ONq surge protector, so i dont see why they wouldnt cover it. But if we are told we need to replace it ourselves, I'll go ahead and buy a linksys. Just tell me what model of router you'd recommend. I can tell you right now that the networking will not be wireless, so no need for a router that does that.

Thanks again for your help and input. This is a hell of a way to learn about networking, but I learned more in the past 24 hours than I ever learend before.

rocketman70092

Reaction score
So i went home last night and did the reset.

Then I tried using ipconfig. It returned a blank field for default gateway. So I tried manually configuring my tcp/ip. Gave the IP address I had before on the router, and in the default gateway, I typed the address that the router manual told me to.

Rebooted the computer, and still no luck. Even though my gateway was showing the address of the router, I still cant ping it or anything.

I mean all the lights are on the router, it looks like the modem and router see each other, and the computers and router see each other, i just cant get them to talk.

Is it possible that somehow, the internal default IP address of the router got changed? And this change last even after several times of pushing the reset button, and even after the router & modem were unplugged for several hours?

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
rocketman,

What happens when you just plug your computer directly into the modem? Will it work then?

The real key to networking (as well as most other technological things) is to be systematic. Keep good notes on what your doing and trying. Then you'll know if you've already tried something.

See what happens when you plug directly into the modem. If you gain a connection then you know that the modem isn't the problem. But if you still can't connect then, more than likely, the modem is the problem or something has happened to the wiring somewhere between the house and the telephone pole. In that case, you'll have to call the cable company and have a tech sent out.

You said in your initial post that there had been some type of storm just before this happened. The storm could very well be the initial reason for your problems.

Last edited:

Static2093

Reaction score
The storm could have had a power surge and fryed ur router! i worked for D-link Tech support and eveything that mindido said is correct! so just follow what he said good job mindido i could not have dont better my self

tha_man

Reaction score
i know this is sort of out of place but it has to do with routers--

how do you open that router page? i need to so i can prevent it from blocking a few ports (yes i'm a wow nerd and i hate it when it slows my downloading patches because it acts all crazy on the downloader, so i want to open the ports the site says need to be open to see if it works)

and all i know thus far about fixing router problems is just to unplug, then replug, but thats it.

swede68

Respected Member
Respected Member
Reaction score
Hey Tha_man,

What brand router do you have? If it's a Linksys, simply open up a browser and enter http://192.168.1.1. Unless you've changed the password, it defaults to "admin". No username is needed.

Then go to "Applications & Gaming" and enter the port that needs to be opened.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
swede68 said:
Hey Tha_man,

What brand router do you have? If it's a Linksys, simply open up a browser and enter http://192.168.1.1. Unless you've changed the password, it defaults to "admin". No username is needed.

Then go to "Applications & Gaming" and enter the port that needs to be opened.

Tha_man,

swede is correct here but one more thing to check. IF your running a software firewall (and I would be if I were you), you'll probably need to make sure that it isn't blocking access.

Nizzle

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
mindido said:
Tha_man,

swede is correct here but one more thing to check. IF your running a software firewall (and I would be if I were you), you'll probably need to make sure that it isn't blocking access.
Netgear is http://192.168.0.1

swede68

Respected Member
Respected Member
Reaction score
Great call Mind and Nizzle as far as the firewall goes. Didn't think of that! :confused: Plus, (hope you two agree) make sure that you have the wonderful Winsux Firewall disabled! Might/Probably/Will interfere with things.

Let us know if things work out for you Man.

Maybe we should start a Hardware thread with default logins for different brand routers. Only reason I mentioned Linksys was that it's not only my fav, but seems to be the hardware of choice lately with friends/family/and what I recommend to clients...

Good luck to all...