• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

MEMORY UPGRADE

beachbum

Reaction score
I have a really old emachine 433i sitting around. I don't really use it much, just something i use to mess around with things. Havign a problem adding more memory though. Came with 32 mb stock (very old). I can't get it to go over 64 mb though. I put a 64 mb in with the 32 mb. Its supposed to max out at 256 mb. Any help?

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
is it the right kind or RAM. there are many different types. that would be the most logical problem.

also, do you know if it needs to be paired or not? depending on the type of RAM and your motherboard, sometimes you need to have 2 identical pieces of RAM for it to work correctly. more commonly you don't and can mismatch it, but that could be something to look into.

are you sure the RAM slots are working properly? you said the computer was old and emachines are exactly the pinnacle of hardware reliability, so it might just be fucked.

the only other thing i can think of off the top of my head, is if there is some sort of setting, like in the BIOS or something that could be restricting it.

where do you see the amount of RAM and how do you know its wrong. are you going by the amount in the count up on startup or are you going by what it says in the OS. there could be discrepancies between them, if its not working right.

Bob_Box

Staff Alumn
Reaction score
where did you see it could go up to 256mb......maybe you motherboard firmware is not at the proper revision for it and all you have to do is update it to the most current

Duke E. Pyle

Reaction score
I gotta get more memory too. This is what i don't get. I have pc133 ddr memory. When i look it up to buy, they all say sdram or dimm. Can someone tell me what this means. Does it not supposed to say pc 133 ddr, or does the sd/dimm deal with something else? I haven't bought any for fear of getting the wrong shit. Also how do you know if you need to have matching memory or not? Some are high density and some are low!?!

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
Duke E. Pyle said:
I gotta get more memory too. This is what i don't get. I have pc133 ddr memory. When i look it up to buy, they all say sdram or dimm. Can someone tell me what this means. Does it not supposed to say pc 133 ddr, or does the sd/dimm deal with something else? I haven't bought any for fear of getting the wrong shit. Also how do you know if you need to have matching memory or not? Some are high density and some are low!?!
the best thing to do is get the model of your motherboard (off of it) and go to the manufacturers website and see if you can find more info there.

most memory is DIMM nowadays. whether its SDRAM, DDR or RDRAM, they are all in the DIMM family. unless its from like 1995 its probably not SIMM RAM.

the thing that has changed is the bus speed which the 133 represents. you can use either 100 or 133 and it should work ok, if thats the kind you have. preferably 133 or course.

beachbum

Reaction score
Its SDRAM, PC100. I have a 64 MB and a 32 MD in there now. Its reading both. I just couldn't get it to 'max' out. It still has all the original stickers on it. with the stats on it. thats where it says 256mb max.

THis is off the topic, but whats up with all the random ass post in the picture forums as of late? Its like spam or something. Just figured i would ask.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
beachbum,

Follow CMan's advice,

"the best thing to do is get the model of your motherboard (off of it) and go to the manufacturers website and see if you can find more info there."

If you don't have the mobo's original manual, find the manufacturer and model # on the board, then get on the net and do a bit of research for the manual. This works 99% of the time but, I do have to say, that if its a really, really cheap mobo (the first indication will be that you can't find a manufacturers name on it) then you may be out of luck (unless your willing to do some really intensive research).

beachbum

Reaction score
YEah..i checked out the Emachne site..no help with the memory proplem on there. They do list the motherboard manufacture though.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
beachbum,

Whhoooaaaa, hold on a minute. You have to get the specific manufacturer and model # from the mobo in your machine. Emachines, like every other mfg., use a variety of mobo's from different manufacturers. You MUST get the info specific to your machine or your just getting junk info (and possibly harmful). No shortcuts here!

Cman

Exp0sed Board Member
Staff member
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
yeah, the motherboard is probably made by a different company, like Tyan or Intel, or Gigabyte or something.

your RAM seems to be fairly standard (although old), so i'm thinking it might be a hardware issue. either your slot or your stick of RAM may be defective.

Bob_Box

Staff Alumn
Reaction score
onerythym said:
ok.. wait a sec. the mobo will do 256mb ram max, right?

and you have a 64 and a 32mb in there now?

am i missing the point but is the reason you arent "maxing out" at 256, is you have only 96mb ram in the machine??

yes your missing the point......he put in the other stick of ram and it's not being recognized by his computer.....he should have 96mb but doesn't

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
beachbum,

Something just occurred to me. Did you try putting the 64 mb chip in the 01 slot and then put the 32 mb chip in the 02 slot? Some machines have to have the bigger chip in that first slot. This will also allow you to check if both chips are any good.

Also, ran across this site:

http://www.memoryx.net/emet43me.html

and they indicated that these 3 chips should work.

32MB eMachines 168p PC66 SDRAM DIMM (p/n EM-AEL)
64MB Hyundai/eMachine Desktop 168p PC66 SDRAM DIMM (p/n EM-XAA64)
128MB eMachine Desktop 168p PC66 SDRAM DIMM (p/n EM-XAA128)

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
onerythm,

Ain't that the truth (especially emachines). And by the way, I saw that PC66 and it made me wonder, is that emachine an old 486? I don't remember when that speed was used but I know its been awhile.