• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

Motherboard

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Duke,

I've been happy with the Gigabyte mobo's so far. Just make sure it has at least two SATA slots and can handle at least 3 Gigs of RAM. That mobo should cost about $100 or so.

As far as upgrading the chip later on? Well, I wouldn't worry about that as who knows what gaming is going to require in the next two or three years. From what I've observed in using these machines for over 20 years now, you'll probably just wind up buying a whole new mobo and processor to keep up with the gaming. Thats why I say that you have to figure out what you can afford now and don't spend anything more than you need to.

And your right, this is how they get you. But its the nature of the biz. Nothing stands still.

*Edit*

Just did a quick check on prices at CompUSA and these seem to be about the sweetspot. Good mobo (4 GB max RAM, 2 SATA), a reasonable processor (AMD 64 3.2 GHz) and the ability to use your current vid card.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=332173&pfp=BROWSE $110

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=329524&pfp=BROWSE $190

Unless your willing to spend more, these should keep you happy for the next couple of years. Figure on spending about $100 for a 1 Gig Ram chip and your about set. This isn't pci-e but you'll be able to use your current vid card and upgrade that later if necessary.

Last edited:

blazin

Lost Member
Reaction score
I'm currently using http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=13825&vpn=LP-UT-NF4-ULTRA-D&manufacture=DFI
its for a S939 processor
It supports upto the usual 4gig DDR RAM, 2 PCI-E slots although its not SLI enabled...although SLI is something you might want to look into.

has 6 2.0 USB ports in the back and connectors for another 4. Has a firewire port and a connector for another i think. I mention this cuz i love USB ports...everything is connected via USB now so honestly you can never have to many.

It has a NF4 chipset and a Karajan audio module. the Karajan is useable...but not exactly the best.

and yes...i realize i'm reccommending a lanparty :|

DDMD

Reaction score
The interesting thing about following this thread is the information here is nothing more than guidelines and opinions. I have a friend who builds systems for executives - money NO object. He has built some pretty awesome systems which on paper should have been incredibly fast. Often they are not. He's found the combinations of parts do not always work well together resulting in poor or unstable performance. Swapping different sound cards different video cards network adapters etc can make huge differences. In one case swapping in a simple sound card to replace a more expensive and supposedly faster version resulted in over 20% jump in performance. Tech support from the manufacturer could not explainer it. Manufactures are constantly changing the parts they sell. Something as simple as changing the smallest chip on a video card (sourcing a capacitor from a different supplier due to stock availability) can change the way the card interacts with some other part boosting or dropping performance. The point is unless you have the time and money to try many different combinations of hardware you will not find the best possible combo. Just look for the most reliable parts you can afford and build it. By the time you do it anyway the parts you pick will be replaced by better for less. Computers are evolving much faster than just about any other hardware.

Good analogy. I ride a motorcycle. This year’s fastest street bike will be next years second best. Those rushing out to buy the latest crotch rocket will have bragging rights for 1 year IF THAT. Then that high cost/uncomfortable/high insurance ride will be a has been. If they bought a bike that was more comfortable and well suited for their riding they will enjoy it for years. If they didn't then they will either spend big bucks to upgrade/modify/stay at the bleeding edge or sell loosing huge in depreciation.

An important consideration for your new mobo should be the board layout. AMD chips can run warm. Cooling is important. Where the heat goes is also important. If the case restricts where you can put the fan or which fan you can use that may be a problem. Also do NOT scrimp on the power supply when you build an AMD system. Plenty of reliable watts needed to run them well. Beware of cheap power units boasting high wattages.

AMD is by far the best performance for the money. My 1st choice is always ASUS but every company has their dogs. Some more than others. Check the web for complaints/issues with the boards you are condsidering. Google the model.

Duke E. Pyle

Reaction score
yeah this is what im looking into now. Most of the amd boards have the nforce chipsets but i want an xt800. Ati makes some of the chipsets on a few of the boards but from all the benchmarks i've seen, they're not as good as the nf4 chips. I'm now thinking about going the nvidia route just to match the brands plus possible sli if its worth it down the road. You don't hear much about crossfire. I wonder if that has something to do with nforce taking over the motherboard scene.

blazin

Lost Member
Reaction score
most chipsets on motherboards will be Nvidia, i used to run the ati 9500pro oc'd on a soltek mobo with nforce(don't remember version, suspect 2 or 3), worked great. What i tend to do when building is decide on a processor then from that decide on my mobo. i'd reccommend S939 since its the newer 64bit pin setup from AMD and the other is already being slightly outdated while still being very good, newer chips will be S939. then a decide on a S939 mobo, and make sure it has the features you need,

DDMD when building systems you do have to consider compatibilities between some of the parts. for instance the LanParty boards for the first while were very picky on RAM. It just hated some brands and speeds. So read reviews and message boards on sites like ncix.com. people who bought the pieces will usually give warning about bad matches they've come across, something i took note to do before building my machine just incase. I'm sure in the case of ram it was just the BIOS needed to be flashed and it would be fixed, but it is annoying to do if the only RAM you had around was rejected by your mobo ;)

btw i like lanparty's since they can store multiple bios settings in memory for overclocking...granted they aren't the best boards for people building their first machine...

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
I think blazin makes a good point here:

"granted they aren't the best boards for people building their first machine..."

Duke needs to consider whether he wants a board that has the lanpartys overclocking capabilities. which may be good for gaming, but could have negative effects on stability. I'm not an extreme gamer, but know a few, and do know that overclocking can fry a board (and processor) pretty damn quick. So Duke, be careful with that decision.

Duke E. Pyle

Reaction score
Well boys i got my motherboard in today. I went with an Asus sli which cost more than i wanted to spend, but i decided to go sli x16 just for future sakes. Almost every board runs x8 in sli mode and i saw the games capable of running sli and it is pretty much all of them so that made up my mind. I went with the amd 3700 too. Now if i can figure out which case i want i'll be set. Anyone got any ideas? I want it for good cooling not cool looks. I'm thinking about the antec p180, but i'd like to pay about half of that for a case, but i've already came this far. I'm thinking of going fortron for a psu. I've heard really good reviews on the ocz pc3200 gold edition memory. This is what they say about it over at pimprig: "OCZ's PC3200 Gold Edition (BH5) RAM is undoubtedly the fastest RAM I have ever tested. I can say that with confidence. At a price that comes in under $160 for a 1GB kit, why in the hell aren't YOU running this RAM?" Thats pretty impressive and I know most go with Corsair but ocz beat it in all cats. I've got my fingers crossed for the system yall!

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Duke,

There are really only a few things to consider as far as a case is concerned.

1. Size. Do you have enough room and a place to put it. I have a full tower that I've had for years (probably 7 to 10) and should have until I die. I don't even remember who built it.

2. Adaptability. Most important. Can it handle any mobo that you want to stick in it? Just look at the plate the mobo will sit on. How many holes are there? If you have a lot, the more adaptable it is.

Another consideration is the number of places for fans (mine is capable of 3). Thats about all I can think of off hand.

*Edit*

One other thing. Make sure its easy to access the interior. With my case the door is on the side and has a latch that you move just slightly and the door opens. Makes it very easy access.

Last edited: