• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

Noisy HD

swede68

Respected Member
Respected Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question for you guys.

My current config. consists of a 120 Gig Western Digital and a 150 Gig Seagate drive. The Seagate sounds like a freakin' 757 powering down the runway!! Soo annoying! Been thinking about getting water cooling for a while now, but that won't do any good with a mini Boeing parked under my desk!

Any advice/experience with fast, but quiet drives. This thing is really starting to annoy me!?!

GrapJ

Balki Bartokamus
Reaction score
swede68 said:
Just a quick question for you guys.

My current config. consists of a 120 Gig Western Digital and a 150 Gig Seagate drive. The Seagate sounds like a freakin' 757 powering down the runway!! Soo annoying! Been thinking about getting water cooling for a while now, but that won't do any good with a mini Boeing parked under my desk!

Any advice/experience with fast, but quiet drives. This thing is really starting to annoy me!?!

I have had a similar experience
I called Seagate, they had me send it to them (Use your local postoffice = 10,-,
Using packetservice (like DHL) = 70,-) and i got back a brand new HD.
My disk was 4 years old and there was no guarantee.
Same happened with a Maxtor and they had exactly the same service.

If ever you have a harddisk that is starting to rumble or make other noise send it to the manufacturer and they will replace it.
They do so because you made the effort in sending it.

REMEMBER : Call them first. They will give you a ....number (called RMA, or something) with that number you are garanteed to have service.

and after reread : Are you sure it is your HardDisk, why can't it be a fan problem?
Have you already taken out the disk and examined it while Power-on?
Does it make a clicking and ticking noise or is it constant?

swede68

Respected Member
Respected Member
Reaction score
Thanks for you reply Grap. It's not that my drive is starting to give out/making weird noises. It's just really, really loud! I know it's the drive, because I've unplugged it and my machine is fairly quiet. But with the drive attached, I can hear it winding up and then at full speed it is sooooo loud!

I used to run a couple of ultra fast SCSI drives in my old machine, and they were so freakin' loud when powered up! This one isn't that bad, but still pretty anoying to sit by all day.

Just wondering if anybody has bought a new HD recently that they are happy with as far as speed and noise level. I've worked on new Dell machines, and actually had to check a couple of times if they were turned on when I showed up as they were so unbelievably quiet.

GrapJ

Balki Bartokamus
Reaction score
I searched my old disks and found a Seagate (model ST3290A).
It does make more noise then current disks, i use maxtor now.
Compared : They are noisy, those Seagates

swede68

Respected Member
Respected Member
Reaction score
It's an ATA drive, and yep, been that loud since day one. Even when idle. Just the spinning of the disk I guess.

Suppose I'll go pick up a new SATA drive then, since that is what the near future is all about.

swede68

Respected Member
Respected Member
Reaction score
Thx One. I'll keep ya posted. Never been a big fan of Seagate. Think I got it cheap when I built my last workstation. Always liked WD better though. Cheers...

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Swede,

Just pipe in here briefly so make sure you take a look at the Maxtor drives. I've bought quite a few lately (I'm about to buy another) and have had no problems with them. They seem very quite to me.

Also, do buy a SATA if you have the slots for it on the mobo. IDE is on its way out so SATA is the way to go. Even if your mobo doesn't have the slots, follow one's advice and get the adapter (as long as they don't r@p3 you for it.)

swede68

Respected Member
Respected Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely going with SATA. Have a couple of slots on my motherboard. Just got back from Frye's and they seem to be charging quite a bit more than I've seen online, so I'm going to order one.

Drives are so ridiculously cheap nowadays! Can pick up a 250 Gig for under $100! I remember paying something like $700 a while back for a 10 Gig SCSI drive! :)

swede68

Respected Member
Respected Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally got and installed a new Western Digital SATA drive. What a world of difference as far as noise level goes. Can't even tell that it's running! :)

Haven't really checked out the gaming performance yet, but I'm really pleased so far.