• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

windows/system32/config/system

ptb_666777

Reaction score
find a small pc repair shop and ask if they could make a copy for you. Since you don't know I'll go ahead and break it to you gently, repair console is not user friendly. you cant just tell it to fix and watch as it replaces files, it is all manual in dos prompt.

Save your self a headache and just get the disk and reinstall. Hope you still have cd key or your buddy is screwed completely.

HOBBAM

Reaction score
I found out from my friend it isn't a power issue, as another power cord worked. So that rules that out.

There is still the primary matter of

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
windows/system32/config/system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original SET-UP CDROM

Select "r" at the first screen to start repair

There is an apparent Windows fix (google "windows/system32/config/system ... and click on the first microsoft link) but you have to extract the files and put them on floppy. I nor my friend have any floppy disks. I was trying to find a way to put them to cd or flash drive......but outside extracting to floppy and transferring to flash or cd, is there anyway to get those files?

JDPuss

Reaction score
even easier - step by step - follow CAREFULLY

Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:

md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

Type exit to quit Recovery Console. Your computer will restart

ptb_666777

Reaction score
Like I said reinstalling is much easier. the above may fix the symptom, but your still left with what ever messed it up in the first place. These files just don't become corrupt by them self. Like I have said in other threads viruses even if removed still leave holes and junk code.

Reinstalling windows takes less than an hour. When your done your left with a clean unaltered OS. Trying to patch up a compromised OS is not worth the trouble. You'll need the disk to use recovery anyway so why not start out fresh and clean.

By all means take the time to do the above fix. Then spend the time tracking down the problem that caused the corruption in the first place. Then hope that when the virus is removed it isn't attached to something important or replaced other files that will not read as an infection. Now all you need to do is trust the viruses author to be a good enuff person that they would not set up your OS to be opened up for repeat infections, seems fare.

In the end it is your choice, make the smart one. If not I'll be here when you make your next thread to say I told you so.

HOBBAM

Reaction score
My friend had Windows XP Professional SP2. As I mentioned, my friend said the computer didn't come with a setup disc.

I later was able to find a Windows XP Professional SP1a Operating System disc and borrowed my friends computer to try and fix it using that disc.

Using steps I found on the net, to do a recovery, I went through the process and then I was then prompted with this message:

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Do I need a different disc or can I do it another way without the disc????

HOBBAM

Reaction score
I found out the laptop has a SATA drive. I was told the reason I couldn't do a full repair, and was prompted with the message in the above post, was that the disc didn't have the sata drivers on it, to load onto the system. I need to load the drivers on their from a boot disc, which I don't have nor the SP1a disc I have doesn't have.

So I need to get those drivers.

After putting them on a disc, during boot, when prompted I hit F6during the setup prompt, to install the drivers to be able to go to the next step of POSSIBLY repairing the computer.

But I also need a Windows XP Professional SP2 disc, since that is what was installed on the system initally to do a proper repair.

Anyone have any recommendations as far as getting those sata drivers or a Windows XP Professional SP2 disc?

ptb_666777

Reaction score
Sata driver is a pain cuz as far as I know you need a floppy to put them on. The later sp 2 version xp disk may have them but do not quote me on that. Newer mobo's don't require the driver.

As for a new disk your best bet is to find a smaller pc repair shop to burn a copy for you. There are copies you can dl but I don't advise it. Every copy I have seen on the networks have been tampered with.

Your problem is kinda confusing me. I am going to presume it is a dell, hp ,or E-mech. In that case you will need your laptops restore disk. A new one can be ordered for a price. there is even the possibility you can hit a function key during boot that will repair the O.S without any disk at all. The key is manufacture and model specific or I'd just tell you. goto the makers site search the model number, then look for restore options. It is a long shot but at this point I would be asking for money, so good luck.

Btw, saying thanks by pushing the thanks button is a great way to show your appreciation, even if we didn't solve the problem. Those who respond are taking there time out to help. A simple click is all that is needed to show your appreciation.

HOBBAM

Reaction score

I realize that and I've always said THANKS in the past and have always said I appreciated the help. That's not lost here either and was going to say it after putting out all the info.

To answer your question. It's an HP laptop. And it has a cd drive and a usb/flash drive. I don't know why floppy discs are still being used, when a cd or usb stick can be just as good. Working on getting an XP Prof SP2 disc.

ptb_666777

Reaction score
Did you go to the makers site http://www.hp.com/ and look up the make and model number to see it it has a built in back up. I know for a fact dell dose it. What they do is partition off part of the hard drive and put a restore on it. If you told me the make and model I am willing to look also, two heads are better than one.

ptb_666777

Reaction score
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...=1847094&prodTypeId=321957&objectID=c00608578

As I had figured, you need something other than a xp disk. read this page. there is a recovery option useing a partitioned part of hard drive but you still need recovery disks. This is going to be a big pain in the ass.

bypassing the recovery means you need the sata drivers, a floppy drive, and a new copy of xp with a cd key.

sata driver will be part of the system driver disk witch you do not have.

a floppy drive can be an external, but without the driver disk it is pointless.

I am trying my best to help, but my professional opinion is this is going to be a big pain in the ass. Even more so than what you have already come to realize.

The function key I was speaking of is f11. From what I understood you will need a series of recovery disks that should have been made prior to this problem.

I'll pull some quotes of the makers site to help you understand what I am trying to tell you. they are as follows.

PC Recovery Disc Creator
This application is used when the computer is setup and run for the first time. In the shipping box, a card, shaped like a CD disk, provides a reminder to make a set recovery disks. A message is displayed on the monitor periodically until the recovery disks are created or the reminder function is turned off.

this first step that was not taken is your problem. Tell your friend since he failed to do what he was supposed to he now needs to pay HP to fix his laptop.

Sorry friend, I truly tried my best to help you.

HOBBAM

Reaction score
As I mentioned, my friend never got any software or recovery discs with the laptop. It was just a new laptop with the necessary accessories that was given to my friend. That was it. My friend backed up all their information a month prior to this issue, but there are still files on it and it's their primary working computer.

But, it's either that option, this other option I'm looking into, or I give it back to my friend and have them take it somewhere to have their files pulled off the drive and have them get a new hard drive.

I still don't get why companies are still requiring floppy drives for situations like this when they are so out of date.

Maybe I missed it, but I why do I need a floppy drive?

Can't I put or get the recovery files onto cds or dvds, as well as the sata drivers and load them onto the system?

thanks again.

ptb_666777

Reaction score
First, the recovery disks needed to be made, they where not supplied. It was supposed to be step one when the pc arrived, but most people don't follow direction or read what is given ;)

Second, You are right floppies are mostly useless and out dated. Don't quote me on this but I believe that there formats are basic and easy to operate as far as cmos is concerned.(less code to use raw data for basic boot protocol)but as you said almost useless so I do not know much about them as they are old news. I have an external just in case.

Unfortunately Microsoft decided the only format the sata drivers could be loaded from by the install software is in fact a floppy. because the optic drive is needed for the xp disk, and flash drives predate xp's basic programing, and when xp was released every pc had a floppy.

You might find software on the makers site to make a floppy to load sata drivers. But you'll need more than the xp disk at this point. You'll need a new Windows cdkey. Even if one is on the laptop more than likely it will not be excepted by windows install due to it being a special edition win xp version bundle for hp.

I can not help you any more than I have. If anyone else has anything please buy all means speak up. I am a pc tech, my professional opinion is give it back, then proceed to give them shit for not following the directions.

you said they did make backups, the should have used the built in recovery software to do that, if they did, then I will have to proceed to give you shit as you will have just wasted my time. So, ask, and if they did use the bundled software to make recovery disks then reread my posts and follow the links instructions. If not then I can say with out regret We both tried our best.

Good luck

P.s. empty your in box!

HOBBAM

Reaction score
First, the recovery disks needed to be made, they where not supplied. It was supposed to be step one when the pc arrived, but most people don't follow direction or read what is given ;)

Second, You are right floppies are mostly useless and out dated. Don't quote me on this but I believe that there formats are basic and easy to operate as far as cmos is concerned.(less code to use raw data for basic boot protocol)but as you said almost useless so I do not know much about them as they are old news. I have an external just in case.

Unfortunately Microsoft decided the only format the sata drivers could be loaded from by the install software is in fact a floppy. because the optic drive is needed for the xp disk, and flash drives predate xp's basic programing, and when xp was released every pc had a floppy.

You might find software on the makers site to make a floppy to load sata drivers. But you'll need more than the xp disk at this point. You'll need a new Windows cdkey. Even if one is on the laptop more than likely it will not be excepted by windows install due to it being a special edition win xp version bundle for hp.

I can not help you any more than I have. If anyone else has anything please buy all means speak up. I am a pc tech, my professional opinion is give it back, then proceed to give them shit for not following the directions.

you said they did make backups, the should have used the built in recovery software to do that, if they did, then I will have to proceed to give you shit as you will have just wasted my time. So, ask, and if they did use the bundled software to make recovery disks then reread my posts and follow the links instructions. If not then I can say with out regret We both tried our best.

Good luck

P.s. empty your in box!

Just to clarify. The computer my friend has was received through a company. No box, no software, or anything else that I was told by them. I guess you could say it was a brand new out of the box laptop. Like I said, the laptop, power cord, and maybe one other thing were all they got. My friend was already using the computer beforehand and then was given the opportunity for ownership.

The backing up I was referring to was just of their personal files that they backed up every month.

I don't understand why Microsoft didn't at least create an update where you wouldn't need a floppy drive to do something like this, and could either use the cd drive and/or usb drive?...but anyhow.

I'll try a couple things tomorrow and hope they work and provide updates.

thanks

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
Hobbam,

Do a Google search on slipstreaming windows xp with SATA drivers. Its not the easiest process but you should be able to do it. You'll need the XP disk plus you'll need to download SP2 or SP3. Might as well go with SP3.

The reason that your SP1 disk won't work is that SATA was virtually brand new at the time XP and SP1 were introduced. SATA drivers were first included with SP2.

Wish I had more time and good luck.

HOBBAM

Reaction score
I'm trying to get a Windows XP Professional SP2 disc still.

As far as the drivers and this sata issue.

I was told to visit and download:

nlite

and create an iso disc and use that in addition.

The nlite issue is completely over my head as far as what I'm suppose to do.

I was told with the sata drivers issue, the nlite download would help, but I'm not sure what to do and in using it with the XP SP2 disc. I've kinda getting this all in pieces.

mindido

Respected Member
Reaction score
hobbam,

NLite is part of the slipstreaming process. If you did the google search you will have found that its not the easiest process. But it can be done. I seem to remember there were some pretty good explanations and procedures on some of the sites. It would be best to find and SP2 or SP3 disk as thats certainly much easier.

I don't know if this will help, but give this site a try:

http://www.msfn.org/board/integration-nvraid-drivers-into-xpx64-and-w2k3x64-t50659.html&hl=

Good luck!

fety

Reaction score
Easy fix...

http://www.nudecelebforum.com/showpost.php?p=277413&postcount=3

It is just a manual way of doing a system restore to when you had a System file that wasn't corrupt... Do everything but the last section, go into the System Volume Information folder and choose one of the latest restore point folders and grab the system, software, sam, security & default files from there. Copy them to the c:\windows\system32\config\ folder.

Easy shit. I've seen this many times. Might also mean the hard drive is going out. Do a chkdsk driveletter: /f on it.

HOBBAM

Reaction score
^It's an easy fix if you have the OS disc, which my friend didn't have.

I was able to fix the laptop.

I had to create an OS cd with XP Professional SP2 on it, WITH the sata drivers. Once I did that, I booted from the disc, it found the drivers, then went through the repair and recovery process, restarted, and now the laptop is working fine.

might get a digital camera out of helping fix this for my friend.

One question though as I was researching....someone said that this type of system error could mean the hard drive is starting to fail and its on its way out. Is that true and should I advise my friend to backup all their files to an external, remove the hard drive and get another one?

Anyways...thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.

K

kdogg

I would always back up important files regardless of the hard drive status. You never know what might happen.
By the way, your friend has no excuse for not having recovery discs. I have an hp laptop and when it was new it bugged the crap out of me with pop ups to create these discs (13 cds in total, no dvd burner) until I finally took the time to do it. The recovery discs copy the factory fresh files and programs to restore the system to the state that it was in when it was unpacked. Fortunately I have never had to use them, but my sister had the same laptop and hers crashed. She didn't make the discs, just like your friend. Luckily my discs worked for her and gave her a clean slate.
The point here is that the PC Recovery Program is installed in the start menu (unless it has been deleted) and can be accessed at any time to create the recovery discs. Once you know everything is in proper working order I would suggest making the discs immediately to avoid problems in the future.

fety

Reaction score
One question though as I was researching....someone said that this type of system error could mean the hard drive is starting to fail and its on its way out. Is that true and should I advise my friend to backup all their files to an external, remove the hard drive and get another one?

Anyways...thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.

yes, you can download a program called Hard Drive Sentinel and it will tell you the overall health of the drive. But of course one should always backup important files. Buy a new hard drive from Newegg or wherever and use Norton Ghost to make a mirror copy of his drive then Ghost the image onto the new hard drive after you have initialized the new one.

did you do the chkdsk command on his drive?

like kdogg said make sure to create the recovery cds, it's in the Start menu under HP or HP Recovery, something like that. If you don't see it look for the file in C:\windows\Creator\Cd Creator.exe If it gives you an error saying the CD/DVDs have already been created, go here...

http://www.coderetard.com/2008/08/12/how-to-reset-hp-pavilion-recovery-cd-one-limit-restriction/