• NudeCelebForum has been moved from the vBulletin to the XenForo platform.
    For additional information, see: NCF Moved To XenForo
  • New threads will not be visible until approved by a moderator.

• Welcome to the forum!
    You must activate your account in order to post and view all forum content
    Please check your email inbox & spam folders for our activation email, then follow the link to validate your email address.
    Contact Us if you are having difficulty posting or viewing forum content.
  • You are viewing our forum as a guest, with limited access.
    By joining you will gain full access to thousands of Videos, Pictures & Much More.
    Membership is absolutely FREE! Registration is FAST & SIMPLE.
    Register Today to join the first, most comprehensive and friendliest communities of nude celebrity fans on the net!

Fave Books (y'know, those things fulla words?)

nolanb123

Reaction score
I started reading Angels & Demons recently (I've read all of his other books) and I couldn't help but notice that the premise is almost exactly the same as in Da Vinci Code.

Expert dies in beginning; Langdon teams up with expert's daughter and runs around solving mystery.
As a prequel to Da Vinci Code, it's somewhat of a letdown...

Also all of the action in Dan Brown's books inevetably happen over the course of one day...
He must be a big fan of 24!

kingpin51

Reaction score
Good Omens by Neal Gaimen and Terry Pratchet
Animal Farm by George Orwell
And Then There was None by Agatha Christi
The Science of Superheroes by Lois Gresh and Robert Weinberg
America The Book by John Stewart

I also read many graphic novels but i can't think of my favorites right now

hodgepodge

Reaction score
ok so i just got back from hawaii and while im not a big reader, i did read a book while i was out there. The Poet by Michael Connelly is a great book and i recommend it to all especially if you like mysteries.

And for those who are curious, the fun things i did in hawaii include jet-skiing, scuba diving, and sky diving...

and i know you all missed me, you dont have to say it ;-)

endymion

Reaction score
I have to say, I was so bored by the DaVinci code. If you want a great book with religious undertones, look for The Last Day. by Glenn Kleier. Awesome.
Other great books:
Dark Tower series - Stephen King
Any Robert Crais - Elvis Cole particularly.
Carrion Comfort - Dan Simmons.
Merrily Watkins mysteries - Phil Rickman.

I've gotta move house next week, and take my 800 books with me down four flights of stairs, and then back up one. Shit.

blcfilm

Reaction score
Anything by:

Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
Charles Bukowski
Jack Kerouac

But I especially recommend (to this forum) "Youth in Revolt" by C.D. Payne. It's the funniest book you'll read this year. It's about a fourteen-year-old kid trying desperately to get laid. It's smart and dirty and fuckin' hilarious. I've bought it five times because I keep giving it away.

bobobill

war on drugs veteran
Reaction score
I'm reading a book called My Jihad by Aukai Collins. It's about an american's joruney through the world of Bin Laden and Militant Muslim groups as a Covert Operative for the American government.

CBELL

Staff Alumn
Reaction score
If anyone is interesting in learning a bit more about the political topics of the day may I suggest some books to read(yeah not my favorite books but it is books so it goes with the thread):

The Last Great Revolution by Robin Wright-talks about the transformation of Iran since 1978

Between Memory and Desire by R. Stephen Humphreys-Talks about Islam in the Middle East including the significance and various meanings of jihad, the role of women, and other things on how they effect the political system

Blowback by Chalmers Johnson-The Costs and Consequences of an American Empire

Lethal Arrogance by Llyod Dumas- Talks about the effects of being King of the Hill internationally

War in Time of Peace by David Halberstam-Talks about US foreign policy during the 90s

Islam by Karen Armstrong-A 411 account of Islam by one of the foremost writers on the subject

Zoya's Story by John Follain and Rita Cristofari- An Afghan women's struggle in Afghanistan with gruesome accounts of the torture peasants faced

Soldier's of God by Robert Kaplan-Talks about Islamic warriors in Afghanistan and Pakistan

Jihad by Ahmed Rashid- Talks about the rise of Islam in the former Soviet Republics and its future effect

American Jihad by Steven Emerson- A frightening account of terrorist cells in America and basically everything you want to know about them

Jihad:The Trail of Political Islam by Giles Kepel- Basically an account of the history of jihad

Inside Iran: Women's Lives by Jane Howard- talks about the lives of women in Iran in current times and how it appears they are better off than when the Shah was in power

Theater of War by Lewis Lapham- Questions Bush's efforts and motives on his crusade to rid the Earth of evildoers

The Age of Sacred Terror by Daniel Benjamin and Steve Simon- excellent book on the history and future of jihad against america by former directors of the National Security Council

The Saudis by (I don't remember)- An account of a women's escapades in Saudi Arabia very telling of the government and attitude within Saudi Arabia

Sleeping with the Devil by Robert Baer- Another excellent book that talks about the relationship between the US and Saudi government and oil

Terror and Liberalism by (I don't remember)- Talks about how to address terrorism in a liberal way

A couple of other books that I have read which are interesting:

The Lexus and the Olive Tree by Thomas Friedman-A book about globalization. Great read that helps you to understand what globalization is and how it affects the world. Information is a little dated though.

Them by Jon Ronson-A story about a guy that infiltrates all of these various crazy organizations and is able to live with them and he compares them to the real world. Basically he concludes that these groups aren't as crazy as they are made out to be. Some very weird groups too.

Almost all of these books are very good reads with some that are must reads. The must reads I would say are Sleeping with the Devil and The Age of Sacred Terror. Obviously these books have agendas so that is why it is important to read lots so you don't fall into one view without reading a counter arguement. These books have the effect that by the end you are believing everything the author is saying so watch out.

zxcw

Reaction score
Robin Hood

I liked that one as a kid.

Red Horse

Reaction score
The Da Vinci Code...I guess Brown can't be sued for plagiarism, since it was put in novel form...more than twenty years ago, a book called "The Holy Blood And The Holy Grail" was published with the exact same thesis...and it was (supposedly) based on historical fact.

Texan...if you can find a copy, grab "No Bugles, No Drums" by Charles Durden...I think you'll like it.

Another good book, I think, is "To Reign In Hell", by Steven Brust...it's about the fall of the rebellious angels from Heaven...not what you'd think, it's more about mis-communication and lesser angels wanting more power and looking out for number one.

scoundrel

Reaction score

Jane Austen's elegently balanced sentences are pregnant with sly hidden meanings and should never be taken at face value. Here is the first sentence of her most remembered novel, Pride and Prejudice:
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.
De-construct this sentence to seperate out the false assertions and conclusions it contains, and you have a potted summary of everything this novel goes on to explore, and with the razor edge of cruel wit which was Miss Austen's special trademark. She died in 1817 and even now remains one of the best writers who ever used the English language.

scoundrel

Reaction score
Twilight: a Review

As far as I am aware I have nil credibility in this forum anyway so there's nothing to lose. I like this book.

The narrative voice is the heroine and smorgasbord Juliet, Bella Swan; this has a lot of advantages in short-circuiting discussions of character and motivation. It also enables Meyer to carry out the dance of the seven veils; the revelation of the plot secret, that the hero and his family have special dietary requirements is gradual because it is filtered through Bella’s eye view.

Bella Swan is a very observant heroine, yet remarkably slow to catch on, both useful traits in a narrator. Although young, she is accustomed to rejection and disappointment; her back history is that of an outsider, thanks partly to her extremely poor physical co-ordination which rules her out for sport, cheer-leading, dancing etc. This has created self-esteem issues, helping to explain why a beautiful 17 year old high-school girl is unaccustomed to male admirers or being the centre of attention, and to explain why she is so well placed to observe and report. It also explains the newness, the unfamiliarity of courtship and first love, a thing fraught with complications even when your inamorata isn’t feeling tempted to just add salt and chow down. The novel's central themes are unfamiliar sexual tension and all-too-familiar alienation from the rest of the pack. Above all, our access to Bella’s inner life enables us to make sense of her extremely erratic, illogical and self-endangering behaviour and to appreciate that it expresses single-mindedness, determination and courage in addition to the fact that she is rather foolish.

The mutual eclarissement between the two lovers and the long conversations whereby they come together emotionally in spite of the rather difficult circumstances is a well observed process and leavened with various touches of dark humour. For example, Bella makes a day out in the forest with her new beau, fully aware that it will go well, their love will be affirmed, their bond of mutual trust will be forged; or it will go badly, and Edward will be left to tidy up the remains of a very satisfactory meal. She faces up to this 50/50 situation with convincing fibre because, though she isn’t terribly wise, she is full of courage and she wants her happiness badly enough to take the chance. What makes this story work is that Meyer has focused on a point which classic Gothic vampire fiction ignores or plays down; all vampires were once human, and is not illogical to suppose that a vampire could retain human traits and that if the vampire was once a good person, he or she might feel conflicted between the new vampire self and the residual human self.

I haven’t seen the film yet: that’s coming. I can already guess that Kirsten Stewart had a tough row to hoe, playing Bella; Alice Cullen, even though it’s only a supporting part, is the prize female role in this story, because she gives the actress something to really work with. First person narrators are a real challenge for actors and screen-play writers alike; in this case it’s worse because the inner voice of Bella’s character is so key to understanding why she behaves the way she does. Edward frequently jokes rather acidly about the lengths he is forced to go to just to keep her alive; there’s no denying she is her own worst enemy, even after James makes his appearance. This does help to explain part of why she puts her fate in Edward’s hands in the forest-meadow passage, because she is grimly aware that without his intervention, she would have been killed on two separate occasions even before she worked out that he is a vampire. In a sense, her life is in his hands anyway and she is merely being pragmatic when she goes into the forest alone with him without even telling anyone where she’s going or who she’s with. By this stage it’s way too late to run away or hide. Fatalism is one of Bella’s chief character traits and the main source of her great courage; it also leads her into some remarkably counter-intuitive decisions...

However, Bella is a little bit put out to discover that the other Cullens have a betting pool on which way Edward will jump; that’s just not in good taste.:mrgreen:

The story continues to be very interesting as Bella meets her new boyfriend’s family and tentatively begins to bond with this group of vampires. Again, the dark humour leavens the book as the absurdity of it all is turned to advantage. Bella is crossing the drawbridge of Dracula’s Castle knowingly and of her own free will; and her biggest fear is of social failure, that the vampires will disapprove of her. This is, of course, classic teenage angst, but with a bit of a Gothic twist.

"It was hard to decide what to wear. I doubted there were any etiquette books detailing how to dress when your vampire sweetheart takes you home to meet his vampire family."

The vampires turn out to be a wealthy white collar middle class family with all the toys of affluence but with some of the hang-ups and maladjustments of affluence as well. They even have the recognisable sibling rivalries and a touching initial awkwardness in company; it dawns on Bella that the Cullens aren’t used to inviting guests (except Undead ones) and that they are, touchingly, a little bit shy themselves, though not quite for the usual reasons.

Carlisle Cullen, the town hospital’s senior doctor, and Esme Cullen, his wife and companion, are the heads of the Cullen family. The heart of this family group turns out to be little sister Alice Cullen, married to Jasper and radiant with a strangely endearing humanity in spite of being a vampire. Alice Cullen is the most interesting character in this story. She is the one who judges correctly that Edward will not put Bella in between two slices of bread and add horse-radish. She is the one who first consciously decides to adopt Bella and to open the door at least to an auxiliary membership of the group; the qualifications for full membership are obvious enough. The physical act of pitching in the very important baseball game passage symbolises Alice’s role as the family pivot, how critical she is to the balance and harmony of the Cullen family and how in various ways all the others depend on her. Her second-sight is a power vital to their physical safety, just as is Edward’s ability to read minds, but what Alice also has is a great power of empathy, an ability to perceive and interpret the emotions of others, including her own family. She is the one who first knows that Bella has opened a closed door inside Edward, has completed his emotional growth, the growth which being made into a vampire arrested in him for 90 years. She loves her brother and is thrilled to see him starting to experience the same happiness she already has with her husband, Jasper, who not only loves her but is deeply in awe of her invincible goodness of heart.

The interesting thing about Alice is that she is good when she could easily be very very evil and this conscious choice was not the soft option, but the right one for her, the reason why she is never haunted by the remorse which Edward and Jasper, who have not always been vegetarians, are forced to cope with. Alice has adopted Jasper directly by marrying him; he gets the guardian angel who gives him the strength and the motivation to rediscover his humanity, whereas she gets the handsome prince, the man of her dreams. It’s a damn good bargain for both of them. It is part of the novel's underlying theme of Fate versus Choice; Good versus Evil; salvation or Damnation: each of these two was the salvation of the other.

But, unlike Emmett, who has always had Rosalie, and Rosalie, who was not a lone vampire for long, Alice has known loneliness much more intimately than she would wish and is well placed to understand what Bella means to Edward. Edward has always been the odd one out within the family, the one wrestling with his demons unsupported by love, except the love of his adopted parents and of his kid sister who knows his pain better than any of the rest. This is why Alice sponsors Bella against the puzzlement of the others and the frank opposition of Rosalie; Bella is the missing piece in Edward’s jigsaw puzzle, just as Jasper was to her. Without Alice, Bella probably could not gain admission to this family group. This gradual and ongoing rearrangement of the group to include Bella is a process which is well described and observed in the book.

The novel’s resolution involves a suspenseful clash with a pair of carnivorous hunter-vampires who covet Bella the same way Edward did, but aren’t quite as nice as he is, and whose leader, James, gets his comeuppance when Alice outwits him and his accomplice and manages to sick Emmett and Jasper onto him as he deserves. But this is a character-driven story, not over-reliant on action to keep the pot boiling. It’s actually a really intelligent book and also a good entertainment.

choppes

Mr. Admin guy
Staff Alumn
Reaction score
First read this book when I was much younger. Written in German and translated soon after. Great tale of the servant becoming the master...

Brianwp

Reaction score
At the risk of seeming a little light in the loafers, I still have to say that Lady Chatterley's Lover was the most erotic book I ever read.